Discussion Charizard GX Houndoom EX Rhyperior Mill Deck

21times

Aspiring Trainer
Hey Beach Bums,

Just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks that this will be a REALLY nasty mill deck wombo combo.

Let me know if I'm completely out in right field on this or if maybe I'm not so bad at rubbing the crystal ball.

I did not think of Rhyperior but def Charizard gX and Houndoom EX. Working on deck with energy denial and team rockets handiwork as well.

Charizard and Houndoom alone are a very nasty combo. Running Delinquent to punish any stadiums put in play would also do excellent since you could control their hand size. I also would suggest running Tapu Lele + Skull Grunt so you can disable their energy ASAP if you go first.

This thread has been moved to the Competitive Play forum because it is discussing a possible deck archetype in a future format. The Deck Garage is for feedback on completed decklists. If you have created a decklist for this strategy, you are welcome to post it in a new thread in the Deck Garage. This thread will remain open to continue discussion of this idea. If you have any questions, please consult me or any of the Forum Staff.

Investing in a charizard GX as far as deck space goes just for 10 cards though? Seems questionable. I've been looking for a good modern mill deck. Hopefully this one works out.

Both Rhypherior and Charizard are massively unweildy being stage 2s and none of them mesh well togehter. Rhypherior is going to want Devo Spray to maximize its mill power while charizard is going to needs to get fully set up and have 3 energy attack to use its GX attack which takes away energy from Houndoom EX who is most effective utilizing Max Potion to help stall thus needing a steady stream of energy to keep willing with. There is no way a mill deck with all 3 will work because the deck will either be too cluttered or you won't have enough of the respective pokemon line to be consistent

I feel rhypeior would be too much, I can see playing chazrizrd and Houndoom EX together, with playing a kiawe.. i would think simalir trainer lineup to quad sylveon would work well, with some adjustements of course to work for this strategy

Is the OP go to Jetpack Comics in Rochester NH? Cuz someone I know wants to do this very deck after BUS releases.

Sorry must be someone else but whoever he is he's a smart guy! No I'm sure a lot of people have connected the dots between Charizard, Houndoom, and Rhyperior. I'm just not sure if it's really going to work. The traditional Houndoom / Durant deck works because it's only eight Pokemon, so you have a ton of card slots for other disruption cards. This Charperiordoom deck could be twenty Pokemon or more depending on how many Rhyperior and Charizard you run. And you want to run the full line of Rhyperior so you can potentially tech in Devolution sprays, which are more cards that aren't found in the Houndoom / Durant decklist either. So I don't know that Charperiordoom is going to work in reality, but the potential is so high that it's got to be tried. If you can get two Rhyperior down in a turn, hit two heads on a Team Rocket's, and then mill with Houndoom's attack, you're milling 12 cards in a single turn. Obviously, that's getting a little lucky and you might only mill that many cards once in a match, but add that to Charizard's GX attack and that's like half the deck right there (after starting 7 and prize cards). And it's not even getting them down to zero cards. If you can mill ten cards out of your opponent's deck twice in a match, there's just no way they'll have the resources to compete. The more I think about it, the more enticing this deck is.

Give it a certain try, I think as always the mill decks work well against the less aggressors, decks who want a lot of set up in order to win. In many cases these are either the Grass decks or the Psycic locks. So I'd say there is some room for the strategy.

However I also believe that Fire has some amazing aggro strategies comming up, especially with Kiawe, so while milling and decking is an option I do believe that the easier route is to simply go for KO after KO and setting up in such a way that you start out blazing. A Fire deck who has the first turn and uses Kiawe absolutely loses out on nothing while it's set up well beyond what turn 1 to 3 would normally allow for.

Cheers,

Hmm interesting could become a combo hybrid mill / attacking deck. Not a bad idea JDA, good Theorymonning!

Hmm interesting could become a combo hybrid mill / attacking deck. Not a bad idea JDA, good Theorymonning!
Especially those really cute Flareon EX's become quite scary! Though I do not want to derail the topic, the future might bring more Fire milling and if it does I think there is something to be said for the strategy.

For now though, considering it's a GX attack I don't see the deck being set all to well just yet. Ideally a Fire GX comes around the corner who mills more than 2 with a regular attack. I've always felt that 4-5 cards per attack are required to bring it to a true competitive level as N, Brock and the likes of Rescue Stretcher or Energie Recycler who, in my mind, too easily migate the effects of milling presented by Houndoom or Charizard. Due to the current dissapearance of VS Seeker I also believe these cards will be ready to use in September. Especially Rescue Stretcher is allready a very functional card.

So by comparison a Flareon EX could crank out 130's on the second turn and on (without any downsides). When required it can even go up to 150 quite easily. All without Bands, Supporters and the likes that could put it up even higher. When we combine this with the simple offense Ho-Oh GX/Salazzle GX can also present I think we're talking about a legit Kiawe deck.

Looking forward to hear more about the results of the milling deck! Hope it has what it thakes, even with the great recyclers in the format.

Back