Charizard ex Special Illustration Rare and More “Obsidian Flames” Cards Revealed!

That Charizard looks like it'd be really pretty with texturing. One of those that looks better in person than in scans, like amazing rares were

Agree. Might look fantastic with sparkle and texture. Illustrations is really cool, but not having a move involved pose or interaction with a background hurts it a lot, at least for me.

The crystal will look really cool, but I'm hoping most of the SAR for tera types are in a different environment. And I just wish the crown was different. I really don't understand why they didn't go with a sigil that floated above the head rather than connecting to it in a clunky way.

This is just the illustration rare right? So that garbage looking gold zard that popped up online could still be thing?
gold version included in the set too and I agree it totally looked garbage. this Zard has far better art

As it is my first time seeing all of these, time to give my competitive thoughts.

Glimmora ex has REALLY good counterplay against Lost Box. Limiting them to 2 Comfey, Radiant Greninja, and either a third Comfey, Manaphy, or sweeper hinders them a lot.

Scizor also can be a good Lost Box counter, considering almost every 'mon they play has an ability.

Mawile could be better, but decent one-of to slow down Lugia VSTAR (or I guess Gardevoir ex because Reversal Energy) just doesn't seem great.

Ryme has potential. If Gardevoir ex runs Worker, they'll find room to play that.

Charizard. Ooohhh man, I want it to be good, but the fact that it's Stage 2 makes me hesitate. It's fine as a late game or early Gardevoir sweeper, but other than that I don't see it having much competitive staying power. Cool art though, probably gonna settle at a solid $50.
Wait until pokemon card 151's release if you want a better 'Zard, as one 340(base 330 + vitality band 10) active nuke powered up by a stage 2 on same evo line that you only need one of in play, outside of said 340 nuker, is better than waiting until the late game to do big damage.

Ryme is only half-rope: You don't switch your active, but your opponent does. Useful if there's only one on bench, dead card if no pokemon are on the bench for backup and no cards left in your deck to draw, outclassed by boss's orders otherwise..

Other than those, spot on, no other commentary needed from me...

Last edited:
Wait until pokemon card 151's release if you want a better 'Zard, as one 340(base 330 + vitality band 10) active nuke powered up by a stage 2 on same evo line that you only need one of in play, outside of said 340 nuker, is better than waiting until the late game to do big damage.
What? No.

Needing 2 Stage 2's to do any attack, even of the same line, is well worse than a Stage 2 that can power up itself or other basic attackers. Pogo Charizard and 151 Charizard don't set up anywhere near as well as something like Obsidian Flames Charizard.

Gardevoir gets by with multi stage 2s with the fact that Kirlia is insanely good for the core and it can play a 4-4-4 lineup. Pogo Charizard doesn't have a Charmeleon like that, nor anywhere near as effective a benefit as Gardevoir ex's energy powerup or Gardevoir's additional drawpower.

Last edited:
What? No.

Needing 2 Stage 2's to do any attack, even of the same line, is well worse than a Stage 2 that can power up itself or other basic attackers. Pogo Charizard and 151 Charizard don't set up anywhere near as well as something like Obsidian Flames Charizard.
as long as there is vstars and vmaxes in standard I doubt that can work consistantly

There is a non-zero chance the world is on the bring of tragedy and the only thing keeping danger at bay is TCPi revealing a new Charizard card every two weeks.
It's like the air we breathe. If we do not receive it we just die.

I love the charizard the same way I love Iono, it will be the hype card that brings everything else down which makes me happy.

I'm actually more interested in the potential Alt Art for Ryme. I do hope they include Greavyard or Houndstone <3

Back