Charizard ex and Brand New Revavroom ex Revealed from “Obsidian Flames!”

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
We can now reveal English images of Charizard ex and Revavroom ex! The cards were shown on promotional standees sent to stores to advertise Obsidian Flames. Thanks goes to “magikarp ex” from our forums for sending us the images!

125-Charizard-ex-Obsidian-Flames-150x200.jpg

156-Revaroom-ex-Obsidian-Flames-151x200.jpg

This is the first time we’re seeing Revavroom ex. The card hasn’t been revealed in Japan yet. It’ll release in Ruler of the Black Flame along with Charizard ex.
As posted before, Ruler of the Black Flame and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as attaching 4 tools to 1 Pokemon for something that needs tools as ammo, we already have BRS Honchkrow V for a long while.

As far as attaching 4 tools to 1 pokemon as a tank strategy, gonna have to wait if or until there's a point where nothing can turn off Revaroom's ability common to decks. Path kinda ruins the idea of beefing up a Pokemon like that and leaves it with a very lopsided matchup spread. Not really worthwhile.

MMC is also a pretty bad energy cost right now, and we probably would have seen Copperajah do something before this if there was a worthwhile way to pile it up. Lost Box would certainly run Goodra or Copperajah before this, and Copperajah is pretty rare to begin with.

When it debuts in western, its best tools to use are Rocky Helmet, Rugged Helmet, and Spirit Mask. Extra Tight Band would then follow in Pokemon Card 151. 4 tight bands on Revaroom would mean it would take 400 damage to OHKO, or 260 damage a hit to 2HKO. Stuff that bypassed effects on pokemon would be around, but that would at least be less common that decks that run Path.

I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to just use this as a stall deck if Path rotated with no replacement, but I still would not trust it at that point with how much you need to set up for it to be really powerful defensively. Cheryl also rotates the same block Path would, too.

Rev is amazing i dont care what you guys say ... if you effectively have to hit a pokemon for 420 damage to knock it out it is pretty good. even with 2 defense charms its a 340 pokemon after attack.. Arven searcher , we havent seen any of the tools for this set but it can run 2 choice or vitality band to get everything going . to hit closer to mark . tank decks are really making a resurgence . and with more control cards we are gunna start seeing them make their way out there.

Yay, Revavroom ex actually looks pretty good. Holding out hope for a Special Illustration Rare!
Just noticed cleffa and clefairy are both basic Pokémon, is this new or has this been the standard for a while?
That has more-or-less always been the case for Baby Pokemon (excluding Togepi/Riolu/Toxel). They used to be able to evolve into their cross-gen relatives in a special way but ever since HGSS they've been treated as standalone Basics with no mechanical connection to their evolutions. And at the same time we've barely ever seen them since the HGSS era (I think just the final year of SM?).

As far as attaching 4 tools to 1 Pokemon for something that needs tools as ammo, we already have BRS Honchkrow V for a long while.

As far as attaching 4 tools to 1 pokemon as a tank strategy, gonna have to wait if or until there's a point where nothing can turn off Revaroom's ability common to decks. Path kinda ruins the idea of beefing up a Pokemon like that and leaves it with a very lopsided matchup spread. Not really worthwhile.

MMC is also a pretty bad energy cost right now, and we probably would have seen Copperajah do something before this if there was a worthwhile way to pile it up. Lost Box would certainly run Goodra or Copperajah before this, and Copperajah is pretty rare to begin with.

When it debuts in western, its best tools to use are Rocky Helmet, Rugged Helmet, and Spirit Mask. Extra Tight Band would then follow in Pokemon Card 151. 4 tight bands on Revaroom would mean it would take 400 damage to OHKO, or 260 damage a hit to 2HKO. Stuff that bypassed effects on pokemon would be around, but that would at least be less common that decks that run Path.

I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to just use this as a stall deck if Path rotated with no replacement, but I still would not trust it at that point with how much you need to set up for it to be really powerful defensively. Cheryl also rotates the same block Path would, too.
Revavroom has considerably more HP and better typing, but you make good points.

Doubling up on Exp. Share can help you stream attackers better. Two Emergency Jelly can almost entirely heal you and it has enough HP to survive a hit into that range. I think it'll still just be a meme but I believe it already has more potential than Honchkrow V ever did.

Revavroom has considerably more HP and better typing, but you make good points.

Doubling up on Exp. Share can help you stream attackers better. Two Emergency Jelly can almost entirely heal you and it has enough HP to survive a hit into that range. I think it'll still just be a meme but I believe it already has more potential than Honchkrow V ever did.
The considerably more HP part doesn't matter as I never called out using Honchkrow as an attacker. I called out using Honchkrow as a coat rack for tools. It is much better to use a basic for that than a stage 1.

This is petty and absolutely does not matter with Honchkrow vs Revaroom, but Dark is definitely a better type offensively than Metal right now, unless your locals is brimming to the top with... Tinkaton ex lmfao. Honchkrow being weak to Fighting isn't all that relevant either.

Doubling up on EXP Share is not gonna help much when Metal already struggles to put up Energy on the board and maintain good damage. Melmetal ex can do it, but you are extremely slow on damage over the course of the game. Magnezone can do it, but we've already seen Dialgazone be a meme and... honestly be more effective at being one.

Emergency Jelly for living hits is very matchup dependent, and there are still quite a decent number of decks that can play around it or straight up make the Starmobile have its warranty expire in one hit.

i don't really see revavroom ex being viable (pretty mid attack, has an ability that isn't splashable) BUT attaching four of those +30 HP tool cards on it will be funny

it also synergizes with the base set revavroom so theres still hope

even if the bar is super low for this set on a competitive level, it at least is a step above most ex's in this set

All Revavroom needs is a tool drop-esque attacker (that isn't the lost zone porygons) and it'll be decent.
This guy would be pretty funny in expanded though. Imagine four Metal Goggles.

Can we all agree that there were more than enough Pokemon in paldea that they could've used for a Dark-type themed set as opposode to a TERA DARK CHARIZARD and one paldean dark type (even though it's Steel in this card)? I genuinely want us all to ask ourselves if we would rather have:

-A set featuring Revavroom, Mabostiff, Bombirdier and Grafaiai. Brand new pokemon that deserve love and each have a right to gain new fans via interesting cards and Illustrator Rares

-the literal 5th set heavily focusing on Charizard since generation 8 (and eiscue and revavroom are here too?? who knows why they're featured in this set)

Last edited:
i don't really see revavroom ex being viable (pretty mid attack, has an ability that isn't splashable) BUT attaching four of those +30 HP tool cards on it will be funny

it also synergizes with the base set revavroom so theres still hope

even if the bar is super low for this set on a competitive level, it at least is a step above most ex's in this set
That what I was thinking, but sadly big Charms r out of rotation being they r from SWORD AND SHIELD, but there could of been a reprint....

Considering Tera cards never get alt arts, this will be a new one for Charizard.

Well... we already know it's getting a Gold card. They'll always find a way to get another ultra rare Zard in there.

Back