Help Charizard error card?

Glauco

Aspiring Trainer
In my son's collection is a Charizard card, 11/108, non-holo. I thought as a non-holo card it probably wasn't worth anything, then I looked at the top right corner and saw "Put Charizard on the Basic Pokemon". This doesn't seem to match any of the Charizard cards I'd seen pictures of online, which all say "Put Charizard on the Stage 1 Pokemon". When I Googled this, I found this page:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Charizard_(Expedition_39)

It seems it's an error card:

"This card was included in the English Expedition Base Set, first released in the Japanese Pokémon-e Starter Deck. The English print mistakenly says "Put Charizard on the Basic Pokémon" instead of Stage 1 Pokémon."

My question is: does the error make it worth anything?

IMG_20200216.jpg

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Hey, I looked over it for a little bit-It's almost definitely fake. The font is off which is a dead giveaway., there's no rarity symbol, the set symbol is weird looking as well.
51vmsCbLu9L._AC_.jpg

If you compare it to the real one (example above) you can notice quite a few differences, which the ones on yours aren't usually what shows on an error card. (Also it doesn't have foil anywhere, reverse or regularly, which I don't think they did a nonfoil version of the EVO charizard ever).
Hope this helps!

Glauco

Aspiring Trainer
Now that you mention it, I see what you mean about the font. The bit that says "Discard 3 Energy attached to this Pokémon", the spacing between the words is all wrong and there's no full stop at the end. Apart from that and the lack of foil though, you'd never know it was a fake. It's well printed, the paper has the right weight and feel - they've done a good job with it. Feel sorry for my son though, who's been treasuring this card for ages. I almost don't want to tell him it's fake. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder anyway, as long as we don't try to sell it.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Now that you mention it, I see what you mean about the font. The bit that says "Discard 3 Energy attached to this Pokémon", the spacing between the words is all wrong and there's no full stop at the end. Apart from that and the lack of foil though, you'd never know it was a fake. It's well printed, the paper has the right weight and feel - they've done a good job with it. Feel sorry for my son though, who's been treasuring this card for ages. I almost don't want to tell him it's fake. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder anyway, as long as we don't try to sell it.

It's always very little things that get you to tell-you start to notice it after a while. The number on the damage was actually the first thing that gave it away for me, since the EVO one uses a very specific font for the numbers that was seen in gens 1-3 and then later Evolutions-the one on yours more closely resembles what we see nowadays and even then it's just a little bit off to where that wouldn't happen otherwise.

The general rule of thumb that I have, from my experience is that if you're completely unsure, look up the card, compare it to the scans of it and if there's either no kind of variation that it resembles, OR there's no existing error that it resembles, then that's not a good sign. Most error cards appear more than once in a given example, from what I've seen.

Or of course, feel free to always come and ask, there's always people who are there to help. :)

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Well, probably better he hear it from you than another kid.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I know exactly what you mean. I was about to throw out this messed up McDonalds Pikachu promo and my son was all "HEY! It's still a Pikachu!"

Kids...