Ruling Charizard d

pokemonhello

Aspiring Trainer
If one thunder ,two metal and one multi energy are attached to Charizard d and I use the attack "Metal Burn",do I need to discard two metal and one multi energy
(after discard two metal energy,multi energy becomes every type again so discard it)
or
only discard two metal energy (after discard two metal energy, the attack ends, so no need to discard multi energy)?

When you use the attack, you look at all cards attached to Charizard δ that provide at least [M] at the time the attack is performed. If you have 1 Lightning, 2 Metal, and 1 Multi attached, and use Metal Burn, only the 2 Metal get discarded; Multi is only [C] because other Special Energy cards are attached. By discarding the two Metal, Multi turns into Metal as well, but this doesn't matter because when Metal Burn was performed, Multi didn't provide Metal - only Colorless.

If Holon Research Tower is in play, you'd need to discard the Lightning as well (since HRT turns it into its normal type and Metal). Multi still stays, because not only is it not providing Metal at the time of the attack, it is not a basic Energy card, so HRT can't transform it.

Hope this helps.

Ghost Pokemon Master said:
You won't discard multi if you didn't consider it metal because it can become any kind of energy.

???

At the time of the attack, the Multi Energy is not providing Metal. You don't have to pay the requirements of the attack more than once, so the first time you discarded all metal energies would be the only time you'd have to discard for that attack. Mulit would only turn into a Metal energy after all the other metals are gone. PMJ is correct.

Ghost Pokemon Master said:
You won't discard multi if you didn't consider it metal because it can become any kind of energy.
it is EVERY type of energy, you can't choose its type, it's normal, dark, metal, fire, water, electric, grass, psychic and fight at the same time, IIRC the older rainbows say that you can choose a type, but now it is EVERY type

If you have a Lightning, 2 Metals, and a Multi attached Multi counts as a BASIC Energy since there are two Metals. You wouldhave to discard the two Metals>.<

No it doesn't. Multi stays a Special Energy card no matter what it's providing. Not sure where you got that idea from...

Lets have a look @ the cards.
(Credit to WPM for the pics)
004.jpg

095.jpg

103.jpg

So as you can tell....Multi becomes a BASIC energy if there is another specail energy attached to the same Pokémon.

What on earth are you talking about, LV?

Where exactly does it say Multi Energy is a basic Energy? When you have multiple Special Energy cards attached to one Pokémon, Multi Energy provides [C]. It is still a Special Energy card.

Yes, indeed they are correct. Here's my comment in another Thread that is similar to your case:-

ArmaldoEX said:
Any energy that would provide any Type of energy such as Multi, Rainbow, Double Ranbow, δ Rainbow, Holon's energy, etc. must be discarded in any way as it says it provides all types of Energy. Here's another case about these kind of problems.

Q: When I use Mega Shot with Manectric EX to a Pokemon, and Manectric EX has 2 Lightning and 1 Ranbow Energy, must I discard all the Energies or only the two Lightning?
A: You must discard all Energy attached to Manectric EX as Rainbow Energy provides as all Energy, including Lightning.

There ya go. This case is similar to your case. So, you have to discard the Multi Energy due to it providing all types of Energy including Metal. Hope this solves your problem.

Anyway, like LV said, if Multi Energy is complimented with another Special Energy, Multi Energy becomes a Colorless energy. And, it's rotated out of the format anyway.

Unfortunately, Multi Energy is in both Emerald and Holon Phantoms. Don't know why LV used a horribly outdated FRLG scan. Here's the HP one:

096.jpg

Light Venusaur said:
A multi energy is a multi energy!
Well even though it was minor, Multi Energy has been reworded since then. That's why you should always use the latest scans/spoilers to keep the card up-to-date and current and not give out false information.

But the question's been answered, so it doesn't really matter.

Arcanine out.

Arcanine 274 said:
Light Venusaur said:
A multi energy is a multi energy!
Well even though it was minor, Multi Energy has been reworded since then. That's why you should always use the latest scans/spoilers to keep the card up-to-date and current and not give out false information.

But the question's been answered, so it doesn't really matter.

Arcanine out.
Multi energy is exactly the same in both cases except for the bracketed parts. I can see where the confusion takes place for the one in FR/LG but it doesn't matter. Anyway, LV was wrong in both cases. Nowhere on the card does it say Multi energy is a basic energy card. Without any Special energies attached, Multi energy provides basic energy, it doesn't count as one, since the card specifically says "Special Energy Card". When there is a Special energy attached, Multi energy provides Colourless energy - that's not a basic energy.

However, when Multi energy does count as a Colourless energy due to another Special energy being attached and an attack like Metal Burn is used, Multi Energy is not discarded since at that time it is not providing Metal energy. It is only discarded when it provides Metal energy.

The rest has been explained so i'll leave it there.

Back