XY Character limit for Pokémon and Pokémon moves extended?

AdamLambert

Aspiring Potato
The 5 letter limit for Japanese Pokémon names was broken with Talonflame's Japanese name. Also, Helioptile's new move, "Parabolic Charge" has broken the 12 character limit for moves in English. Will this change anything important, in your opinion? Do you think it's a good/bad idea?

It allows me to be more creative with the naming than before I guess. Then again the character limit isn't the reason I wasn't more creative.

If the english character limit for Pokemon names is extended, I'm wondering if they'll go back and rectify Feraligator, Victreebell and all that lot.

Altho it is a nice touch, I'm thinking that gf won't be all 'OMG NOW WE CAN MAIK THA NAIMES LONGAR LETZ DO IT FOR EVERYTHING!!1!', and just give longer names to Pokemon whose names currently don't fit.

P.DelSlayer said:
If the english character limit for Pokemon names is extended, I'm wondering if they'll go back and rectify Feraligator, Victreebell and all that lot.

Altho it is a nice touch, I'm thinking that gf won't be all 'OMG NOW WE CAN MAIK THA NAIMES LONGAR LETZ DO IT FOR EVERYTHING!!1!', and just give longer names to Pokemon whose names currently don't fit.

Agreed completely -- I think they'll stick with the existing limit for names (with perhaps few exceptions). Gamefreak is sensible when it comes to retcons, so I have no doubt that Feraligatr and Victreebel will be keeping their names.

CMP said:
P.DelSlayer said:

Agreed completely -- I think they'll stick with the existing limit for names (with perhaps few exceptions). Gamefreak is sensible when it comes to retcons, so I have no doubt that Feraligatr and Victreebel will be keeping their names.

If they do extend the name character limit in English, past names won't change much (save Feraligatr, Victreebel), but they might feel more free to make longer names for this generation.

Back