BW/BW2 Changing BW Learnsets, Types, and Abilities

keldeo91

Intermediate Hacker
This thread is for discussing things you think you would change about BW Pokemon's learnsets, types, and abilities. Also, you can suggest any other changes you would make to them except designs. This thread is not for discussing their designs. However, you may use their designs to justify moves, abilities, or types you think they should have. Here are a few things I think should be different:

Druddigon should be Dragon/Rock and be able to have the ability Rock Head, since it's Pokedex entry mentions the skin on its face being harder than a rock. When I first saw Druddigon's design, I thought it looked like it had a somewhat rocky body, or at least rocky armor.

Darmanitan should be Fire/Fighting because it is very physically powerful and learns Fighting-type moves. Also, learning Close Combat would make sense because it has relatively high speed along with high attack, which would make sense for the rapid punches.

Anyway, discuss the topic!

First off, great idea for a thread, because B/W has some sorry movepools so i think this will take off like a rocket.
Personally I think Unfezant should have better attacks such as ExtremeSpeed, after all it looks like roadrunner. And second, Emboar should be able to learn fire punch because it says in its pokedex entry that it can light its fists on fire with its beard and throw fiery punches.

BlueEmboar said:
First off, great idea for a thread, because B/W has some sorry movepools so i think this will take off like a rocket.
Personally I think Unfezant should have better attacks such as ExtremeSpeed, after all it looks like roadrunner. And second, Emboar should be able to learn fire punch because it says in its pokedex entry that it can light its fists on fire with its beard and throw fiery punches.

I totally agree with you on the Emboar part. I think it should be learned either upon evolution, or should be teachable via the move relearner, in addition to Hammer Arm which it already learns that way.

Definetly, Emboar should learn Fire Punch... Maybe there will be move tutors in the 3rd version...

Like I said in a previous thread... Tao Trio should learn Earthquake... If even Shuckle can learn EQ, why can't them?
2nd, since Reshiram and Zekrom's tails are generators and as such "glow", they could learn "Tail Glow". It'd probably be broken, but It'd make sense, I guess...

Haxorus should learn Stone Edge...
And Serperior should learn a lot of moves... most notably, again, EQ... All other serpent pokémon learn EQ....

As for types, I think Haxorus could be Dragon/Steel... I mean, when it was revealed, I thought its body plates were steel-made...
And for abilities, the Tao Trio and Volcarona should all have Levitate... They clearly Fly...

Metalizard said:
And Serperior should learn a lot of moves... most notably, again, EQ... All other serpent pokemon learn EQ...

Nintendo gives Serperior Focus Blast next game - Serpy gets promoted to Uber. Fast. The only thing off the top of my head that resists Leaf Storm, HP Ice, and Focus Blast, is Chandelure, and that has pretty bad defenses anyways, so it would probably get 2HKO'd by Leaf Storm anyways.

Rhyperior's DW ability is Reckless, but it learns no recoil inducing attacks. It can't learn Double Edge with its DW ability.

Also, Unfezant should get BraveBird because how can any bird not and stand a chance against Staraptor,... Its only good flying type attacks are SkyAttack and Fly both of which are 2turn moves.

I also think Whimsicott should be Grass/Flying, due to the fact that it "floats through the wind" like the Hoppip line, which are also Grass/Flying. Also, note that Whimsicott learns Flying-type moves. The added STAB would make Whimsicott an awesome Pokemon to have.

Haxorus with a physical Fire-type move (Fire Punch or Fire Fang). Do want.

Tail glow..makes perfect sense. I feel that they would have to make a physical clone of it for zekrom though. If you look at there movepools (lvl up), they both learn either the same moves or physical/special counter parts on different levels. I think reshiram could get tail glow and zekrom get a physcial version.

I think that all of the pokedex entries should either be fixed to make sense or add the moves in that are mentioned. Il list some examples of pokemon, the move they should have, and and a reason from the entry stating why they should have that move.

Gothorita-It puts people to sleep with hypnosis-hypnosis-This isnt even hard, most psychic types get it, why not them?

(S)Woobat-they use ultrasonic waves-hypnosis/supersonic-Hypnosis again for a psychic type, and while supersonic is an egg move, it shouldnt be just that considering sonics are one of these pokemon's main powers

Beartic-It says they freeze theyr breath to make fangs and claws of ice-ice punch/ice fang-goes along with dex entry perfectly

These are just a few I thought of, Il update with more later, thanks

Whimiscotts typing dpesnt make as much sense but it sure does help. Ice types would completely destroy its whole subseed action.
I agree with the above. I say they rehaul all movesets. And hydreigon desperately needs dark pulse. That should of stayed a tm.
Reshiram has a great overflowing movepool but zekrom was left out. Could use eq verry well.
And one last thing: acrobatics needs to be much more widespread, atleast to some more flying types.

@frostwind there were alot of tm's that should of stayed: DarkPulse, IronTail, the list goes on... Haxorus needs irontail as a tm not eggmove.

BlueEmboar said:

Agreed. I honestly wish I could find the person / team responsible for coming up with the movepools of Black/White Pokémon so I can just shake them repeatedly.

Anyway, one of the main movepool gripes I have is the fact there are a lot of TM moves Black/White Pokémon lack the ability to use despite older, less fitting, Pokémon being able to use them. One of them is Brick Break. (For example: Bonsly can use it, but Samurott can't.) As some people mentioned, Earthquake and Stone Edge also got left out from the movepools of a few Pokémon. Calm Mind is another - Victini can't learn it, but Sewaddle can?

To me, it seems they excluded some of these moves simply for the sake of trying to keep the movepools of some Pokémon from being too diverse - which is simply not the way movepools should be determined, especially when there are Pokémon in previous Generations far less fitting for certain moves.

A few non-TM moves I think some Pokémon should learn are:
  • Hydreigon- Dark Pulse. There's no reason a Special-oriented Dark-Type Pokémon should have to learn this only by breeding.
  • Druddigon- Fly.

I can't think of more right now, but there are definitely far more.

@ Xous
You mean Druddigon cant use fly! thats completely stupid! It has big blue wings on its back, what are they there for? What was Pokemon thinking?
Also to me Golurk should have ShadowClaw, i know it doesnt have claws like a cat but it does have huge hands.

^Also, Druddigon is pure-dragon. Should be Dragon/Flying since it has wings. Although since it's slow and heavy and as its dex entry says, its wings are not meant to fly, but to absorb sunlight...

Plus, since someone mentioned Braviary... It should be Fighting/Flying...

btw, Zorua also only learns Dark Pulse by egg move... And Zoroark being a special-sweeper, only learns 1 special attack by level up...

Also, what's up with the fact that Leavanny learns Leaf Storm? Leavanny is a physical sweeper, and I have gotten very good use out of her (seems female to me). Leaf Storm makes no sense for Leavanny to learn. Also, why is it that Golurk is able to learn Ice Beam via TM, even though he, as well, is a physical sweeper?

Back