Ruling Changing a gameplay decision

Wowowiwo

Aspiring Trainer
We have always had this same problem at my locals and I wonder how its being ruled in yours:

¿If you call a gameplay move, can you undo it and change it? ¿How would your locals rule this escenarios?

1° You say out loud "I attack with Plea GX" then place your GX marker face down, 10 seconds later you say... nevermind I attack with Fairy wind

2° You place your ultraball on the field and the 2 discarded cards.... then check your hand again and modify the discarded cards for others in your hand.

3° Same escenario, you discard for ultra ball, then search your deck and after taking a quick glance you decide to modify the 2 discarded cards (note that the decision is affected by the information you got from looking at your deck)

4° Attaching an energy/tool to a pokemon / then changing it to another pokemon

5° Attaching 2 tools to pokemon and then swapping the tools

So to round it up... when is point where your decision to play a card is final?
I've heard multiple versions:

your decision is final ...
as soon as you announce it by saying it out loud
when you stop holding the card and place it on the table
when you announce a new action

or does this depends on the "tier" of the event? I mean... when I watch a big tournament stream I dont see people discarding for ultra ball and then modifing the selected cards

thanks!

To me, in standard league play (e.g. not a tournament) 1, 2, 4, and 5 are fine as long as the opponent is ok with it. 3 is probably a bit too far (in that I'm unlikely to allow it myself).

In actual tournaments, once a card is played (and released), it's committed unless it's illegal IMO. I'm sure someone can give the official ruling, but I can't imagine it would differ from that.

That is why I put my cards face down first, and check them with my hand before actually playing and calling them. When I just started playing tournaments I caught myself being "pushed" into a move by the opponent, like when you are done with drawing and attaching stuff and the opponent already puts their damage counters on his Pokémon, but I learned to mention that and actually say I will call my moves when I make them.

That is why I put my cards face down first, and check them with my hand before actually playing and calling them. When I just started playing tournaments I caught myself being "pushed" into a move by the opponent, like when you are done with drawing and attaching stuff and the opponent already puts their damage counters on his Pokémon, but I learned to mention that and actually say I will call my moves when I make them.

well, that would actually be considered "rushing" and its in the official rules... deserves at least a caution for the opponent, which could escalate into more cautions / warning / prize penalty. You should notify your judge when this happens.

I also meant it more as a self-protective move. If someone doesn't call his moves and just puts down cards face-up or pick up cards and re-attach them, then imo they should be penalized.

Yeah its just good habit that the moment a card is released from your hand, i.e. , placed down and you let go, you're playing it and you can't take it back, thats why on PTCGO, you can't go back or undo the move, back its simulating real tournament rules. Rule of thumb, if you can't undo it in PTCGO, then you shouldn't be allowed to undo it in real tournaments

In normal league play it is up to you and your opponent to decide, for example when I play test with my group we don't do take backs as we are trying to simulate a tournament game as best as possible but will talk through what the optimal play should have been, but in casuals i allow take backs to help others learn and correct mistakes for better game play.

For actual tournament play
1. attack is called and can't be reversed
2. I believe since you have not committed to searching the deck you could change the cards you have set down but that is pretty sketchy
3. you have begun searching the deck so definitely not and I usually wouldn't allow a take back even in casuals
4. again not in tournament but in casuals it can be good to help your opponent make the correct dissensions so they can improve
5. same as 4

If it's just casual play at your local league then that's up to you. I view casual league play as a time to playtest for me and my opponent so I'm fine with them taking back moves because it's just part of the learning process when you're testing out a deck. I want my opponent to make the most optimal move because that's how I truly see how well my deck runs. If it's a tournament though, even if it's not a competitive one, I won't let my opponent take back moves once they have announced their move and played the card on the field while letting go of the card.

Back