Celebi23's Circle: Cities - What's the Play?

It is my opinion that Vileplume is completely unnecessary in a Feraligatr/Kyurem deck.

Feraligatr's attack pairs amazingly well with Kyurem's attack (60 damage +10 for every counter already on the defending)!
So he needs a lot of energy? Run Interviewer's Questions (Look at the top 8 cards of your deck. Show any energy you find there to your opponent and put them into your hand). That helps you get the energy you need on him fast.

Also Feraligatr's grass weakness means his only threat in the meta game will be Yanmega's first attack (which STILL only two shots).
Feraligatr also gains amazing benefits from Rocky Helmet. If he is attacked first, his attack will now do 80, and adding in the rocky helmet damage means a devastating 100.

Plus you can run trainers which allows you to set up faster and catcher and dispose of immediate threats. No vileplume means you can also run Switch so that if you can't get that 4 energy out, then he can be safely sent back to the bench.

The deck also has plenty of room for a Shaymin/Jirachi fall back plan as well.

Vileplume is a second stage 2 that makes the deck a lot more clunky and slow and if you can't get Vileplume up right away, then you're out of luck.

Kyurem can't do enough damage to Catcher KO threats, and putting support Pokemon active is a great way to get them knocked out. That's one reason for Vileplume - to prevent the latter from happening. Amazing as Rocky Helmet might be with Feraligatr, Eviolite is even more amazing against the deck, so it's nice to have a way to prevent them from playing it. Besides, I think Eviolite would take priority in a standard build.

As I've said before, the deck operates on the same principle as googlebox - setting up Vileplume quickly is not important, although it does happen a good amount with this deck, since it runs a lot of draw even without Twins. The idea of Vileplume is solely to prevent easy PlusPower/Catcher KOs, Max Potions from your opponent, etc. This allows Kyurem to come from behind and set up multiple KOs for either itself of Jirachi.

I don't deny that the regular version might be better, but this was a previously unknown, different, and viable way of playing the deck that I wanted to share. After all, what's a more interesting read - an article about a standard metagame deck, or an article about a fresh rogue deck? :)

Back