Discussion Cards To Resurface or See Play

One combo that could see play evenutally is Gengar-EX/Flygon.

What, you forgot that the one from Boundaries Crossed was still around?

The combo works overall well. With a MuscleBank, you're doing 110, a Poison effect, and 10 damage across your opponent's board, totaling to 160 when your turn finally comes around again. It's also worth noting 2 cool comboes with this.

The first one is Wobbuffet, which already works fantasticly in Gengar variants. You can use it to clean up against a Pokemon you already hit for a few cycles with Flygon, or you can just use it for Bide Barricade, which is a very solid Ability on it's own that won't ever really harm you since Flygon's damage only occurs while it's Active.

The second tech is Flygon from Primal Clash, which can be used to either refresh your hand, or stomp your opponent flat in the frequent case where they ended their turn off of a huge hand that probably contains about 7-9 cards, with 1 of those having the possibility of being a utility like Switch, Escape Rope, the like.

GadgetJax said:
One combo that could see play evenutally is Gengar-EX/Flygon.

What, you forgot that the one from Boundaries Crossed was still around?

The combo works overall well. With a MuscleBank, you're doing 110, a Poison effect, and 10 damage across your opponent's board, totaling to 160 when your turn finally comes around again. It's also worth noting 2 cool comboes with this.

The first one is Wobbuffet, which already works fantasticly in Gengar variants. You can use it to clean up against a Pokemon you already hit for a few cycles with Flygon, or you can just use it for Bide Barricade, which is a very solid Ability on it's own that won't ever really harm you since Flygon's damage only occurs while it's Active.

The second tech is Flygon from Primal Clash, which can be used to either refresh your hand, or stomp your opponent flat in the frequent case where they ended their turn off of a huge hand that probably contains about 7-9 cards, with 1 of those having the possibility of being a utility like Switch, Escape Rope, the like.

That Gengar/Flygon Sand Slammer may be something!
I'm putting together a Donphan/Flygon right now, but I may change my mind and run Gengar and Wobbuffet istead of Donphan. Get some Float Stones on your Flygon and you are good to go. I could even thing about Dusknoir.
I just don't know how I'll get my hands in 3 or 4 Gengar EXs because they are so expensive in Brazil right now. 65 reais é muita grana.

I built a Donphan/ Flygon/ Dusknoir deck but it was very slow to set up. Gengar on the other hand is a Basic pokemon so that makes the set up a little easier.

Shiftry (FF): With both primals being weak to grass, this might not be a bad choice. Twins should be a great help to any stage 2 deck. The toad will always be a problem, because Shiftry is grass, it shouldn't be too hard to counter.

Focus Sash: I always thought this was overlooked, but I think someone will find a way to break this one day. Some possible combos are with the barrier ancient trait (can't be scrappered or lasered) or Medicham with multistrike.

Heatran (PHF): If it's not already played more, I think it will be as it can do 130 and take out Donphan while only giving up 1 prize. It will also be the perfect counter to Mega Diancie and Mega Gardevoir if they become popular.

Iris: Even as a 1 of (VS Seeker makes this feasible). It gets even better with multistrike Pokemon.

Trick Coin: With Mega Aggron. Especially once fliptini rotates.

Masquarain from PLB could be good with spirit link cards. Play the spirit link down, get it back into your hand and attach a better tool like muscle band or the upcoming weakness policy. Also, in a pinch, it could hit things like Seismitoad and Primals for weakness.

-Blaziken FUF. This one is going to become much better, since it gets draw support from new Torchic, new Blaziken, and Scorching Earth.

Necro for Ancient Trait Medicham (Primal Clash, can attack twice). Thanks to the upcoming Regirock EX

Regirock-EX – Fighting – HP180
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Regi Power
Each of your [F] Pokemon does 10 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon. (Excluding Regirock-EX.)

[F][F][F] Bedrock Press: 100 damage. During your opponent next turn, any damage done to this Pokemon by attacks is reduced by 20.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

Machamp was too clunky, which is why I think the deck didn't do as well. It can be easy to get 2 of these out by Korrina to grab Regirock and a repeat ball for another Regirock. There's also the combo of Meditite/Memory Shrine to attack twice for one energy.

Necro for Ancient Trait Medicham (Primal Clash, can attack twice). Thanks to the upcoming Regirock EX

Regirock-EX – Fighting – HP180
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Regi Power
Each of your [F] Pokemon does 10 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon. (Excluding Regirock-EX.)

[F][F][F] Bedrock Press: 100 damage. During your opponent next turn, any damage done to this Pokemon by attacks is reduced by 20.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

Machamp was too clunky, which is why I think the deck didn't do as well. It can be easy to get 2 of these out by Korrina to grab Regirock and a repeat ball for another Regirock. There's also the combo of Meditite/Memory Shrine to attack twice for one energy.

Ya, I like this deck too. The only problem I see with it for competitive play is the lysandre for Regrirock EX. Because it is three to retreat between Regirock and shaymin I could see the prize card exchange being tough against decks that try to pin a pokemon in the active.

I was actually thinking of running it with baby Lando, or baby Regirock(AT - Trainer Lock) along side of Medichamp and Carbink break.
3 Baby Regirock
3/3 Medicahmp
3/2 Carbink Break
2 Shaymins

The retreat would be a problem, especially against Trevenant BREAK. Maybe a couple of AZ or a small Zoroark line?

The retreat would be a problem, especially against Trevenant BREAK. Maybe a couple of AZ or a small Zoroark line?

Possibly, It is always that delicate balance of squeezing everything you need in a deck to be competitive. I think a lot of trainers are getting hung up on the (OHKO) power of this deck. But if you compare it to the top running decks in standard like Trev, Night March, Gren., Yveltal/Zorark, the deck has a lot of disadvantages in the prize card exchange arena. Though I want it to be good, I just don't think the current meta is really situated for it. It's one those things where I shrug and say, "So you do 250 dmg. on a punkaboo, forgadiar, or Trev. I'm going to Lysandre up that Regiriock EX and take two, or possibly 4 if I trap one there. And the odds are really in those decks favor to accomplish this before a bogged down regirock EX deck can spit off 250 dmg. It's the reason I suggested the Regirock AT. You can't lysandre it up and can prize card exchange with the top tier decks.

But ya, I would run it with an AZ, or possibly Cassius, plus float stones/switches. Zoroark might bog the deck down.

I predict Entei AOR will resurface thanks to the incoming Delphox BREAK. Combined with Wally and the new Delphox w/ the double-side version of Gallade(BW)/Huntail(PRC)'s Powerful Storm in a way that all energy in play is counted when calculating damage, not just all energy your side of field. Combine that w/ Delphox BREAK w/ the ability to attach a fire energy from deck to ANY pokemon, that will be a boon to help out the entire field, especially w/ Fire-types benefiting already from Blacksmith, not to mention Vespiquen, who could pull off mid-to-late-game shenanigans against Manaphy-EXes(Greninjas/Palkias + Gyaradoses)/Milotics(Night Marchers) to win the race to the last Prize card and teach them not to mess w/ Delphox BREAK and/or Entei for weakness mid-to-late-game(since Delphox BREAK is technically a Stage 3, which bumps Vespiquen's Bee Revenge greatly)... :)

EDIT: Oh, and since Glaceon-EX will be a thing, Venusaur-EX/Leafeon-EX from Generations could see play... Fighting Fury Belt + sleep and poison(Venusaur-EX) or even Stadium card shenanigans(Leafeon-EX)=KO'd Waters, Glaceon-EX or no...

Last edited:
A few more.

Forretress (FF): Very overlooked card. Has ability that spreads 10 to all opponents Pokemon when evolved. Forest of Giant Plants and Super Scoop Up is a neat combo that can allow you to spam several Thorn Temptests in a turn. Where is has the potential to be broken is with De-evolution Spray being reprinted (I've seen this in action in an expanded and it's scary).

Latios EX: Donk potential. 40 for 1 P attack, but you can use it on your first turn even if you go first. On it's own, you can score an easy win against Night March or any other non big basic deck that gets a bad start. But in the Forretress deck above, you can theoretically wipe out an entire field before an opponent has the chance to do anything. They could even end up having to ban some cards if the deck proves to be successful.

Rainbow Energy/Aromatisse: Carbink BREAK could make rainbow Aromatisse work again. You have something that can get 2 of any energy back. You have something that can get 2 of any energy back on any fighting pokemon. Just accelerate the rainbow on another Carbink and then you can move them around with Aromatisse. Despite all the anti special energy cards, I could see this having a chance.

Golurk: The one with the O stop ancient trait and ability that treats it as fighting. I actually think the O stop is really underrated. It protects Golurk from Greninja, bats, Forretress and most importantly, Garbodor. As for the ability, it becomes even better with the new fighting support, mainly Regirock EX and Carbink Break. It’s also a solid counter to Jolteon EX.

Hypno: There are two combos from the newest set that this can work with. The first is the new stadium that can protect your own Pokemon from being put asleep by Hypno’s ability. The other one is with Snorlax, a 140 basic that can actually attack when asleep (120 for 3 colorless). They’re gimmicky, but I think they could be somewhat competitive. Sleep can be pretty disruptive and combined with a non EX basic with such high HP, it can be pretty hard for an opponent to take prizes.

Golduck BREAK: A card like this has to be good at some point, especially with Max Potion. For now, the two best partners I can think of are Girantina EX and Wailord EX.

Back