Card Rating: Scizor (MD-29/100)

Soul

Urusai Urusai Urusai
Scizor (MD-29/100)

29-scizor.jpg

Well, I'm not sure if regular members are allowed to post threads like this, but please leave it open for some discussions. It's the first card rating I ever wrote, so please don't be that harsh. I'm going to tell you about a card from one of the older Diamond and Pearl sets, you may remember it, it was in one of the Worlds Winner decks from 2008. The card I'm talking about is Scizor from Majestic Dawn, which you may have already read in the title, lol. The red bug was originally only used to counter Plox which used many Special Energy cards like Double Rainbow Energy and Scramble Energy. I know they aren't modified anymore, but now we have a lot of other special energies around like Call, SP or Rainbow Energy. So why shouldn't we try Scizor as a tech nowadays..or even as a main hitter..? Let's start with the rating. Scizor is a stage 1 Pokémon so he's easy to get out, especially if your deck features Broken Time-Space or something like that. Also he can't be OHKO'ed by Machamp (SF)'s Take Out attack then. Now we come to his hit points, with 90HP he's a little bit under the average for stage 1 Pokémon, while cards like Gyarados have 130HP or Wailord with 200HP, but he isn't worth to be mentioned because he sucks :p. Since Scizor is a metal type Pokémon you can get the protection boost from the Special Metal Energies so he could survive some attacks, especially against Psychic types because he has also a -20 resistance against them. But being a metal type isn't a huge plus, you my get some problems with knocking out Luxray GL Lv.X or even the new Luxray from Platinum: Arceus if it'll get popular. Scizor has a +30 fire weakness which really hurts against Blaziken FB Lv.X, so he can easily one shot your Scizor, so beware of them. One retreat cost isn't that bad, if needed you can just attach an energy and retreat. Now we'll come to the main point because Scizor is good, his attacks! His first attack Special Blow does 30 damage for one metal energy, that's pretty good. But you can increase that damage by 50 points, yes you've heard right, 50! But only if the defending Pokémon has any Special Energies attached to them, which isn't that hard in the current format. Almost every deck features Call Energy, other popular Special Energies are Upper Energy, SP Energy and Rainbow Energy. But also Cyclone, Warp or Recover Energy are ones that you could face somewhere. And with the release of Legend: Heart Gold & Soul Silver there will be another one that'll be played very often: Double Colorless Energy! So you see you can easily hit for 80 damage for just one energy. But be carefully if your opponent sees what you want to do, he could work around your strategy by just attaching basic energies to their Pokémon. His second attack is so and so, for three energies you can do 50 damage and if you're lucky with coin flips it'll be 90 damage. It's a common 'flip and hit' attack so I won't go more in depth on this one. So at all Scizor is a really cool card with lots of potential. Abusing Special Metal energies let Scizor turn into a huge tank which could draw some prizes in a row. Adding Expert Belt to this can be even more painfull, it'll have 110HP then and can deal out 100 damage for one energy. I'll give Scizor (MD) 7 from 10 possible points because of his low HP and the need of Special Energies on your opponent's Pokémon. Please post your comments on what you think about this.

@ Moderators:
Am I allowed to post more threads like this? If so, please let me know, thanks ^-^

Why wouldn't you be able to post this? Discussion is always welcome.

Anyway, Scizor could get even more usage when DCE comes out.

dmaster out.

Agreed, Double Colorless Energy will definitely allow Scizor to see some play, not only because it can utilize it, but because it counters it (if you want to see if you're lucky!). This thing can kill stuff t1 with Call Energy which is pretty nice. You basically covered everything. Expert Belt and Double Colorless Energy make this thing deserve a second look.

It's a so-so card. It will see play, but when you get all pumped when you get a T2 scizor, and don't see a sp. energy all game, you're stuck doing expensive flippy attacks, while your opponent abuses your way-too-low HP.

Maybe run the usual Scizor/Cherimm deck but with a 1 tech of this Scizor and one to two basic Metal energy. Your opponent would think it's just Scizrimm and attach those Special Energies in order to stay at speed/outspeed you. And then you come at them with your tech Scizor and blow them away for 80. A problem would probably be some SP decks because not all of them run SP Energy; they would most likely just attach their basic energy and Energy Gain and be on their merry way. A way to cope with that is a Pachirisu from the Great Encounters set. I might consider playing this if I can make it viable enough, but as of now I think of this Scizor as a cute tech in a deck with metal energy.
6.5/10 because of the aformentioned low HP, relying on them attaching a special energy, and the fact that it can't be used in much else.

If you think about it this deck could be really good with the new Meatagross lower HP and then do alot of damage for only one energy which is not that bad in the considering I could see it makeing a come back then again I never played in the Ex format so I don't know how the deck is played really you also could make it a speed deck.

T

Juliacoolo said:
It's a so-so card. It will see play, but when you get all pumped when you get a T2 scizor, and don't see a sp. energy all game, you're stuck doing expensive flippy attacks, while your opponent abuses your way-too-low HP.

The deck around it woulrd stuck with the flippy attack then, but even in a deck with him you can play another hitter besides Scizor. Also Scizor could be easily teched in lots of decks, like Flygon, it also gives Power Swing the 10 damage boost while it's benched.

this is a cool post. and i think it would go great with metagross sv, even if they dont play a special, expert belt means 50 to somethin with 20 less hp for 1 energy, that takes care of a whole lotta basics, especially with bats and plus powers.

1qaqa1 said:
Though with Hgss's great pokes Scizor might be outdamaged.
lol Great Pokemon? If they run Special Energy, you are arguing with 80 for one+Special Energy discard?

Anyways, I still see a little bit of play today with Warp, Cyclone, Call, and Upper Energy everywhere. But yeah, HGSS could be a better time for Scizor.

ROFLiron said:
this is a cool post. and i think it would go great with metagross sv, even if they don't play a special, expert belt means 50 to somethin with 20 less hp for 1 energy, that takes care of a whole lotta basics, especially with bats and plus powers.

That is not a smart idea. First off, one is a stage 1 and the other is a stage 2, and second, dude, 70 HP? Sure you are hitting for "100" but still. You just put yourself in a world of hurt. An attack that does 40 damage one shots you. Thats terrible. It is NOT good with Metagross.

Really, only when HG/SS will be out will we see this card make its comeback. DCE, Upper will be in the same decks, one for if your behind, the other for just regular game play, Scizor will be hitting huge. And since GG is coming back, well so is Scizor! It would need another attacking line however. Maybe Forretress LA?

Soul Seeker said:
Scizor is a basic Pokémon so he's easy to get out, especially if your deck features Broken Time-Space or something like that. Also he can't be OHKO'ed by Machamp (SF)'s Take Out attack then.

Is that an error in the above quote? lol. Other than that, a good rating and like everyone mentioned, with DCE coming out soon, players will play this Scizor more than now...

Seth1789110 said:
That is not a smart idea. First off, one is a stage 1 and the other is a stage 2, and second, dude, 70 HP? Sure you are hitting for "100" but still. You just put yourself in a world of hurt. An attack that does 40 damage one shots you. Thats terrible. It is NOT good with Metagross.
LA?

ummm candy, candy, 70??? expert belt, more like 90 still, and 40 puts me out ?? you mean 60 but only if its a fire attack cuz of weakness right?

and will DP cards still be modified playable during HG/SS?

Back