Discussion Can Golduck / Malamar EX Work?

TheLunaticHypno

Just your average Hypno fan
Hey guys. I've been contemplating on making a golduck Malamar yveltal deck, but I realized that this could work as just a tech. If you haven't caught on to what it would be used for yet, you attach to Malamar to put the opponent to sleep, and then hyper transfer to the active. I'm not sure how well this would work in other decks, or if this is even good, but I think it would be really fun. Malamar can even serve as a backup attacker, so if you don't have any darkness angry in the deck, you could just toss in a few. A Malamar yveltal golduck deck might be really fun, with other stuff like lugia or Aegislash. That might be a cool deck on its own now that I'm thinking about it. You have steel energies, and a few dark energies and abuse reverse Valley. Please leave your thoughts below and if you want me to brew up a list I will

If you're implying on using Golduck BREAK's Ability to proc Malamar EX's Ability, it won't work. Only when you attach from hand will you be able to use Malamar EX's Ability.

If you're implying on using Golduck BREAK's Ability to proc Malamar EX's Ability, it won't work. Only when you attach from hand will you be able to use Malamar EX's Ability.

I beleive OP is saying that he wants to manual attach to Malamar to activate the ability first, then Hyper Transfer to the Active (or wherever). He knows that Golduck's ability doesn't activate Malamar's.

Why not just go full fairy toolbox and use Aromatise / rainbow energy for the same effect? I've been toying with a fairy toolbox seeing as we now have max potion and Manaphy in Standard. Some success but a lot of failure :D It can deal with any deck, just getting the right cards at the right time can be an issue. If anyone's particularly interested, happy to share the list.

Why not just go full fairy toolbox and use Aromatise / rainbow energy for the same effect? I've been toying with a fairy toolbox seeing as we now have max potion and Manaphy in Standard. Some success but a lot of failure :D It can deal with any deck, just getting the right cards at the right time can be an issue. If anyone's particularly interested, happy to share the list.
Y'know, that might just work. Aromatisse/giratina/toad? /Malamar. I think that aromatisse giratina Malamar would be awesome, but a little clunky... Something that might make this deck shine would be fairy drop. Can't remember if it works with special energy, but if so, this could be a pretty fun deck. With cards like fighting fury belt, making Tina bulkier, and a Shaymin killer, and cards coming out like twisted spoon, this might be interesting. A regice as a backup attacker, would be nice, and adding manaphy as a free retreat is cool. This deck Will be clunky, but with the right numbers it could work out.

I think more of the issue with that is the strong emphasis on Enhanced Hammer now. With most decks running special energy, you're more liable to have energy chipped off because of hammer. While you do have Crushing Hammer in the format, you don't have to worry about it as much as it relies on a coin flip. Basic energy as well is more reliable because of item cards such as Super Rod to bring it out of the discard more easily to abuse Malamar EX's ability.

When you go the fairy box route you subject yourself to special energy hate, not to mention your only outlets for energy are fairy and rainbows. Golduck BREAK at least allows you to run a true rainbow list. Which would really allow you to take advantage of Malamar EX's ability. I think the best combo here could be Pairing it with Darkrai EX hitting for 160 with the opponents active asleep, it would be a similar archetype to the Hypno Build, but without the need for All Night Party and allows the abuse of Max Potion allowing for Darrkai EX to really abuse the boost HP from FFB.

If the build could be consistent i think it would have more longevity and playability than the Hypno Archetype. I like where your head is at OP!!!

When you go the fairy box route you subject yourself to special energy hate, not to mention your only outlets for energy are fairy and rainbows. Golduck BREAK at least allows you to run a true rainbow list. Which would really allow you to take advantage of Malamar EX's ability. I think the best combo here could be Pairing it with Darkrai EX hitting for 160 with the opponents active asleep, it would be a similar archetype to the Hypno Build, but without the need for All Night Party and allows the abuse of Max Potion allowing for Darrkai EX to really abuse the boost HP from FFB.

If the build could be consistent i think it would have more longevity and playability than the Hypno Archetype. I like where your head is at OP!!!

Actually Chaos Tower when it is released, would potentially be better as you can simply take advantage of your active not being put to sleep. This way, you can pair Malamar EX with a variety of Pokémon, not just Darkrai EX.

Actually Chaos Tower when it is released, would potentially be better as you can simply take advantage of your active not being put to sleep. This way, you can pair Malamar EX with a variety of Pokémon, not just Darkrai EX.
I don't know, I really think Chaos Town will be irrelevant in either Archetype. All Night Party gives Darkrai / Hypno the self heal for 30 every turn, And in a Malamar build I would rather take advantage of not having to protect myself from being asleep every turn, either Reverse Valley, or even a Fairy Garden may be playable.

EDIT: The card we are talking about is the one were one side is protected from sleep and paralysis, and the other is Poison and Confusion right? Cause if it is, i really don't think it benefit either build.

I don't know, I really think Chaos Town will be irrelevant in either Archetype. All Night Party gives Darkrai / Hypno the self heal for 30 every turn, And in a Malamar build I would rather take advantage of not having to protect myself from being asleep every turn, either Reverse Valley, or even a Fairy Garden may be playable.

EDIT: The card we are talking about is the one were one side is protected from sleep and paralysis, and the other is Poison and Confusion right? Cause if it is, i really don't think it benefit either build.

Yep, I'm talking about that card.
The main problem with All-Night Party is that your opponent can use it too though, making Malamar EX's sleep condition pointless honestly. Chaos Tower only prevents you from being put to sleep while your opponent's active is put to sleep, forcing them to coin flip or waste a trainer to get out of the lock. Making other cards that are in the format more viable. A good example of this would be possibly cards like Flareon EX where you can simply lay a Fire Energy down, put your opponent to sleep, then simply rotate it off Malamar EX to Flareon to hit for damage. This way is more of a safe play so that way your forcing your opponent to possibly miss a turn of attacking and to waste a switch or force a Rush in on Zoroark if they have it. There is a lot less use of cards like Float Stone, Switch, and other item/support cards being used in this format which makes Chaos Tower that much more usable compared to All-Night Party in this aspect. If you really want to heal, you can always simply use Max Potion and force up Malamar EX himself since most times he won't be OHKO'd and make your opponent waste cards like Lysander and VS Seeker to force a knock out.

What I am saying though is when you use Malamar EX's ability you don't have to worry about your pokemon being asleep anyways. So why not increase damage output with reverse valley if using a dark variant, or basically any other stadium that doesn't affect your pokes status conditions, since you'll only be effecting your opponents.

EDIT: But I do see why it could benificial in Darkrai EX / Hypno, I had to reread what you wrote. >.<

What I am saying though is when you use Malamar EX's ability you don't have to worry about your pokemon being asleep anyways. So why not increase damage output with reverse valley if using a dark variant, or basically any other stadium that doesn't affect your pokes status conditions, since you'll only be effecting your opponents.

My bad, I was thinking of Hypno's ability. Still with that said, I still don't believe All-Night Party is a good stadium to use as it pretty much gives your opponent a way out.

My bad, I was thinking of Hypno's ability. Still with that said, I still don't believe All-Night Party is a good stadium to use as it pretty much gives your opponent a way out.
Unless the build focuses on securing the OHKO then yes, Chaos Town would be the play over All-Night Party.

Back