• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Camerupt EX / Magma Camerupt

Phoenix15

Playing Rogue Decks that Don't Do Well Since 2012
Pokemon:
  • 4 Camerupt EX
  • 4 Team Magma's Numel
  • 4 Team Magma's Camerupt
  • 1 Shaymin EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Blacksmith
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 3 Fiery Torch
  • 1 Prof's Letter
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Energy Switch
  • 1 Scorched Earth
Energy:
  • 4 DCE
  • 2 Burning Energy
  • 8 Fire Energy
Strategy:

The strategy behind this deck is to power up Camerupt EX, and use the second attack (which allows you to discard fire energies attacked to any of your Pokemon, and does 50 times the amount you discard). Using Magma's Camerupt, you can put a fire energy from your discard on that Magma's Camerupt, via the ability.

The ability allows you to recycle energy you discard from attacking, as well as getting energy to Camerupt EX's. (Via the attack, which is actually pretty decent)

So, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think you need to add at least 1 more Energy Switch, because it is difficult to charge Camerupt-EX from hand each turn.

I only count 53 cards. Instead of running a switch, since I dont see any muscle bands or fighting fury belts, why not add float stones? I have contemplated this deck a lot but it worries me too much because of too many unfavorable matchups you'll see. For example, a Toad deck will completely demolish this deck because of the item lock ability and the weakness to water. Trevenant XY/BreakPoint is also a bad matchup because of it's item lock ability. The only other worse matchup I'd see would be Mega Mewtwo Psychic Infinity/ Yveltal EX Xball. If it takes you too long to build up Camerupt EX, by the time he's built up or close to it, he's getting lysandre'd out for the OHKO. Although I really want to find a way to make this deck work, which it can it's just hard, I still think right now there's too many unfavorable matchups that strays me away from this deck.

If it works well though, Camerupt EX is sometimes active after making an outrageous KO without energy on it: Making it a viable target for Max Potion and less susceptible to X-Ball type attacks. I want this deck to work desperately also, however you're right about how realistic it is to expect you can fulfill the 4 energy requirement of Explosive Jet in a single turn... without still having Burning Energy or DCE still attached. Has anyone got an expanded Emboar based version of this deck they could share?

I started to build an expanded deck with emboar and I think expanded is the best place for this deck, but I never play tested it.

(Long time reader, first time poster, sorry in advance if I say something silly / wrong.)

I absolutely love this deck, and have been running it for a long time (basically due to lack of resources to build anything else), and have honed down the deck list over time. Rather than try and pick out all the changes I'll just give my list and go from there:

Pokemon [14]
  • 4 Camerupt EX
  • 4 TM's Numel
  • 4 TM's Camerupt
  • 2 Shaymin EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums [34]
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Switch
  • 2 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Energy Switch
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 1x Professor's Letter
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 3 Blacksmith
  • 1 Teammates
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Scorched Earth
Energy [12]
  • 8 Fire Energy
  • 4 Double Colourless Energy
Strategy:

It's true that you will get absolutely smashed by Seismitoad EX, but that's to be expected and doesn't stop the deck being a massive amount of fun in general. I find that with Double Colourless Energy, Energy Switch / TM's Camerupt, and Blacksmith it really isn't that difficult to get the energy requirement in one turn, which is especially fun when an active Camerupt EX is knocked out and you can swing for 200+ damage the following turn with a Camerupt EX on the bench with nothing on it!

In terms of specific card choices, I'd definitely ramp up the number of Energy Switch and Battle Compressor, the latter allows you to just ditch all the Fire Energy and run out of the discard pile, as well as giving you access to the awesome Battle Compressor / VS Seeker combo. I'd drop Fiery Torch because Scorched Earth is basically doing the same thing, and it just doesn't work for me, though I can appreciate why it's useful. (I also plan to switch out Muscle Band for Fighting Fury Belt when I get two.)

(Sorry for the massive post, hopefully it's acceptable / helpful in the grand scheme of things!)

Use max elixirs, they are awesome in this deck. Better than fiery torches. Also this deck needs battle compressors badly. Getting rid of a blacksmith and two energies on turn one with a VS seeker in hand is a key play.

.Right now I'm having fun playing
3 Camerupt EX
2 Reshiram
3-1-3 Emboar
2-2 Octillery
2 Exeggcute

I don't have the space for a few critical things though, a tool scrapper for Garbodor, a few tools for Camerupt EX, Fighting Spirit Belt or Muscle Band would be nice. Runs 2 Blacksmith, needs a Hex Maniac for Vileplume. Tons of fun though.
Max Elixir would be awesome. You still need to hit a Superior Energy Retrieval and get Emboar in play, but it could buy you an extra 50 damage in a clutch situation or make it easier next turn when it's likely one of the pokes is going to go down.
I use a 3-2 Ultra / Level Ball split, seems to work okay.

I think battle compressors are better overall than acrobike and torch. Like 3 battle compressors. 4 fighting fury belts is something to consider. 220 hp is much harder to 1hko. It can also allow the AT entei to have 80 more hp and 20 more damage output

As for the magma camerupt. 3-3 is probably enough. Consider a few entei to add a non ex attacker and more basics.

4 blacksmith might be too much. Consider 2 or 3 of them at most. Then add a few tech supporters to be discarded by battle compressor.

The new Flareon EX from generations could be a really good secondary attacker in here

Id pair it with team magma's camerupt. You can easily get 5 energies on Flareon in 1 turn. battle compressor energies to discard, max elixir energy to Flareon, TM Camerupt ability, Flareon's ability, attach one for turn and black smith.

Back