Discussion BW Expanded Rotated Out

Murkrow Jupiter

Aspiring Trainer
I'm really interested in picking up the cards needed to play Virgen in expanded. However, I'm really scared that with the new sets that the Pokémon company will make expanded XY on. Do you think it's a safe bet it'll stay BW on or XY??? I guess there's always standard.... :(

No one knows what the rotation will be right now. A few think BW will rotate from Expanded, so it matches Japan's Standard format, with is XY-On I believe but we can't say for sure. At this point, invest at your risk.

"Investment" in Pokemon cards is not really a safe thing. With the notable exception of some of the popular pokemon, such as Charizard, or Secret Rare cards, Pokemon doesn't seem to hold it's value very well. If you're going to jump in, do so for the fun of it, and consider it the admission fee :)

I'm really interested in picking up the cards needed to play Virgen in expanded. However, I'm really scared that with the new sets that the Pokémon company will make expanded XY on. Do you think it's a safe bet it'll stay BW on or XY??? I guess there's always standard.... :(
To play it safe, you better not buy cards that old just for the sake of playing expanded, its better to build around newer cards with adding maybe a few supported from the old days

So I've noticed that Pokemon cards, never hold their value. regardless of what format, they will not hold their value once finally rotated from said format. if they had, an actual eternal format, they wouldn't have this problem of asking people to put in money, for very little in return. unlike some other games, trying to get into a specific format is cheap, but gets stale real quick. When i played, we only had standard. Now, with expanded, it makes much more sense to keep it with BW on, as it gives cards homes, once they rotate out of standard. That might be the magic player in me talking.

As for the investment side of it, Invest only if you want too. It's not safe, since they do not hold their value post rotation, unless its base set charizard for example, that or charizard Star from way back in the day. spend, knowing you will not get your cash back, at the other end.

I doubt Expanded will ever rotate. Given that they keep releasing more and more products that involve Expanded cards and Expanded tournament attendance is roughly the same as Standard, they will likely keep it BW-on. There is a possibility that they may rotate the Expanded format to XY-on, but there is no incentive to do so.

For investing in this game: Highest rarity Trainers, "every Expanded deck needs at least one of this Pokemon", and most of the Base Set/Gen 1 related cards is what you go for in the long-term. Otherwise, don't focus on it.

I doubt Expanded will ever rotate. Given that they keep releasing more and more products that involve Expanded cards and Expanded tournament attendance is roughly the same as Standard, they will likely keep it BW-on. There is a possibility that they may rotate the Expanded format to XY-on, but there is no incentive to do so.

For investing in this game: Highest rarity Trainers, "every Expanded deck needs at least one of this Pokemon", and most of the Base Set/Gen 1 related cards is what you go for in the long-term. Otherwise, don't focus on it.

If i'm correct, Expanded is the most popular format? I've been told by a friend who is a judge, that expanded tournaments draw more than standard tournaments.
As for everything else, i totally agree

However, I'm really scared that with the new sets that the Pokémon company will make expanded XY on.

Why are you scared? No one is putting a gun to your head to make you play an older deck, right? ;) I didn't think VirGen was a top pick for Expanded right now, so unless you think recent results will lead to a resurgence, you can always just not pursue the deck. :)

If
your income is such that you cannot afford to invest in VirGen as a "fun deck", that isn't too bad; again it was just for fun. If you need it for competitive Expanded play, then it all comes down to how well you expect to perform at events; if you think you're a good player and that it will be make a big showing soon, then the deck may be able to pay for itself, even if Expanded rotates.

Which brings us to paranoia over rotation. This is the last day of March. Unless you only play sporadically or we get a bizarrely early rotation, you've got four or five months as of today to enjoy any cards that will rotate from Expanded play. If I counted correctly (and I may have messed up XP), there are 21 weeks before September 1st. So even the person who plays two hours per week has about 42 hours worth of game time coming with anything they purchase in the next few days. Not a huge amount of time, but if you're okay buying your typical video game, that you'll play for about as much time over the next five months before beating (maybe utterly completing) it, probably shouldn't sweat a deck. Well, assuming you are spending about the same on both. ;) (Yes you can resell video games, but most aren't worth that much, used, 5 months later).

Expanded has never rotated any sets so far. It is possible (but not guaranteed), that TPCi will maintain it for as long as they think they can. Unlike Standard play, where they have only failed to rotate sets once over the last 16 years. ;) If you are playing for fun with your friends, you can use older formats. You could even see if they were interested in the Legacy Format; just because it was created for the PTCGO does not mean people cannot use it in real life.

Back