• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Bushido Beating (Empoleon/Zoroark)

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
This is my personal take on Empoleon, pairing it with Zoroark GX to hit things for huge numbers.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 2 Zorua PR-SM SM83
* 2 Zoroark-GX PR-SM SM84
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 1 Manaphy-EX BKP 32
* 4 Piplup UPR 32
* 2 Prinplup UPR 33
* 4 Empoleon UPR 34

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 4 Aqua Patch GRI 119
* 2 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Professor Sycamore PHF 101

##Energy - 12

* 8 Water Energy 3
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******
  • The basic strategy is to get things onto the field, especially Piplup lines, in a jiffy through various methods. In particular, while Brigette is a staple, it's particularly useful here because it can load up the bench fast with the major players and power your attacks.
  • Your main attackers are Empoleon and Zoroark. With a choice band, each can hit for up to 230 and 150 damage, respectively. In Empoleon's case, this covers almost every relevant GX in the game, with only things like Decidueye, Metagross and Solgaleo avoiding the OHKO. Zoroark also provides nice draw support.
  • 4-2-4 with rare candy is used to get Empoleon out as fast and reliably as possible. However, do note that Prinplup's Bubble Beam is actually fairly useful in emergencies. Whirlpool is a safety move, used when you can't KO but can still majorly disrupt the opponent, like a damage-dealing Crushing Hammer that always works.
  • You want to use the 70 HP Piplup like I do here to avoid bench 2HKO's from things like Jet Punch and Frost Bullet.
  • 8 water and 4 DCE provide enough fuel for everyone to use Total Command and Riotous Beating, and 4 Aqua Patches allow all the Empoleons a shot at using Whirlpool if needed.
  • Manaphy provides free retreat.
  • I don't use N in this deck. I dislike N because even though it can provide game-changing disruption as well as draw power, it tends to brick later in the game, and the disruption ability can be a huge crapshoot. I've won games because of an opponent's N, and lost games because of mine. Cynthia, Sycamore and Zoroark provide all the draw support I need. If you want to test this deck for yourself and want to use N, you could replace two of the Cynthias with it.
  • I've played quite a few games with this deck, and it's actually pretty good. Empoleon hits like a semi truck when it gets going, and can force some painful bench shenanigans on the opponent. I like having Zoroark as well, since it can do more damage on just your full bench if needed. Once going, only a stroke of luck or careful planning can halt it. And if you've got multiple Empoleon sitting on the bench like you should, then that pain train can be very difficult to stop without some clever plays.
  • That said, if your cards don't come out right, then it can be fairly easy to falter. Buzzwole/Lycanroc can be a problem, especially the latter's Dangerous Rogue attack and Bloodthirsty Eyes ability, due to Zoroark's weakness. However, neither survives a fully-charged Total Command, or one boosted by band with 8-9 benched active. This deck also counters itself depending on who sets up first. Finally, Empoleon only has 160 HP, which can be problematic when it comes to some heavier attacks like Knuckle Impact and Blizzard Edge, and nobody survives Meteor Tempest (although DM Necrozma itself is very glassy and Total Command usually knocks it out unless the stands are empty. Also, Empoleon is only a 1-prize attacker, so staying ahead in prize cards is easier to do; I won a game against a DM Necrozma deck by abusing this fact to hell and back).
  • Overall, I think it's pretty good in its current iteration, although I suppose there's always room for improvement...

So with that in mind, what do you think I do well and what could be done better? What other top threats do you think I'm missing, especially things that might counter it (other than the aforementioned Buzzwole/Lycanroc)? Do you (respectfully) disagree with my N stance (I can easily add it in if you think it would make this deck much better)? How would YOU do this deck? I've seen Counter Energy and Splash Energy variants, for instance. Feel free to explain your though process so I can incorporate ideas into my deck if possible.

Back