Activity Buff-a-Mon #5: Floatzel

I remember using Tropius as a fast, bulky support mon at some point in the lower tiers, using Harvest to perpetually recycle a Sitrus Berry. I think the set was something like this:
Tropius @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- U-Turn
- Defog
It wasn't super great, but i liek tropiuz so I used it a fair bit.

In terms of how to make it better, I'd suggest putting the extra stats into bulk. Tropius is not a brilliant attacker by any means, but a potential 109/93/97 base bulk is nothing to scoff at. If it's not too busted, I'd also give it another evolution stage (it doesn't matter what) so that Tropius can abuse Eviolite, making it a really hefty tank.

Tropius
Grass/Flying
Chlorophyll/Harvest/Solar Power
HP: 99 -> 109
ATK: 68
DEF: 83 -> 93
SPA: 72
SPD: 87 -> 97
SPE: 51

There are a lot of possible sets for this stat spread due to Tropius' broad existing supportive movepool, but a possible set could look something like this:
Tropius @ Eviolite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic / Leech Seed
- Roost
- U-Turn
- Defog

In my opinion, Tropius would be really really stronk with these changes, and would probably be able to contend with the likes of Ferrothorn and Tangrowth as the premier grass support mon for OU. It can even work in both Sun and Trick Room depending on the IVs you give it.

We're late on the update, sorry about that!

The next Pokemon I want to talk about is actually one of my favorites! wow, I wonder why it got picked.

cjV5tb0zDxbhoHpLjNszyOggvrYXXReOfQXGLZ6KtsndK4Q-pJOk-oD8gRtLyWOQt24mon3MwILDxFdLyXzIzRudApi_lNo_gGTzVMNYdlr468k783qbn5zlaxdurI7XnKydSAk

Floatzel
Type: Water
Abilities: Swift Swim, Water Veil (HA)
HP: 85
ATK: 105
DEF: 55
SPA: 85
SPD: 50
SPE: 115
Notable moves:
Liquidation, Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Taunt, Bulk Up, Low Kick, Ice Punch, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Switcheroo, Pursuit

The first thing you notice about Floatzel is how cool it is that 115 speed tier, which outspeeds most Pokemon. On top of that, it benefits from rain through Swift Swim and makes it nearly impossible to outspeed. Next, you see the decent (not game changing, but respectable) 105 attack stat. With that, Floatzel becomes a decent attacker (can be physical, mixed, or special, though special is weak) with priority Aqua Jet and a basic Water-type movepool. What does that mean? Floatzel really doesn't have much variety in its moveset, and it lost Pursuit this generation on top of that. Floatzel is also very frail, often nearly OHKO'd by strong resisted and neutral attacks. This means you need to get it in safely in order to attack, and then to be honest its offenses are underwhelming in even the middle tiers. How would you buff Floatzel?

Here's my idea:
Floatzel
Type: Water
Abilities: Swift Swim, Water Veil (HA)
HP: 85
ATK: 105-->115 +(10)
DEF: 55-->60 (+5)
SPA: 85
SPD: 50 -->60 (+10)
SPE: 115-->120 (+5)

New Moves: Flip Turn, Psychic Fangs, Close Combat

Statwise, I feel like Floatzel's offenses just aren't impressive enough. A bit more to its attack since it's unbelievably frail and just a bit to patch in those defenses to slightly-less-than-absolutely-pathetic levels. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I added 5 more to Floatzel's speed so it can outspeed Jolly Cinderace. I kept the abilities the same because I feel like they best fit the Pokemon already. And for its move pool, I'd add the moves Flip Turn to grab momentum, Psychic Fangs since Pokemon is handing this move out to most fang users, and Close Combat since it's also more common now. Flip Turn also seems like a move it should get naturally anyway.
Floatzel@ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Aqua Jet / Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs / Ice Punch / Ice Beam

Banded Floatzel hurts, especially since it can't be burned. Aqua Jet is for scarfed Pokemon, but Flip Turn is good and provides utility in case you aren't worried about revenge killers. Liquidation is a decent STAB that has the potential to lower defense and further wall breaking potential. Close Combat is for Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Magnezone that otherwise don't care for Floatzel's attacks. It also hits Hydreigon, Urshifu, Bisharp, and Chansey. Psychic Fangs in the first slot is for Toxapex, Kommo-o, and Amoonguss with added utility of breaking screens. Ice Punch can be used instead to hit stuff like Dragapult and Tangrowth, but if you're going for Tangrowth you may as well use Ice Beam to do more damage. In that case, the Naive nature and LO are probably better.

Floatzel@Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant / Naughty Nature
- Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs

Adamant Swift Swim Floatzel hits hard and offers decent coverage. The attacks are mostly the same, though!

I think these changes would make Floatzel a stronger Pokemon, but still not busted--look at Barraskewda, it has even higher speed but it just isn't there. Floatzel has priority here and the addition of Flip Turn would help keep it from being stuck on Toxapex too long. It's still rather weak and can't hit Slowbro and Tangrowth that hard. Also, mono water typing is kind of a letdown since it doesn't get STAB on anything else.

Back