• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Budget Trevenant BREAK

Dedem0718

Aspiring Trainer
Hi, I am Marc, father of two son's. They both forced me to become a Pokemon Trainer, so am I !

I built this deck from the leftovers of the booster box of the kid's birthday's gift. I was able to buy a few pokemons to complete it. I am mostly using Trevenant from the Breakpoint series (65/122) for his Nervous Seed ability.

I have builded my deck so it will cost more energy for the opponent to attack, plus Team Flare Grunt and Raticate to discard energies. Also, I have chosen my stadium cards so I would be able to use Astonish from Phantump 54/146.

I think my weakest link is located in my supporter/items cards choices, so I mainly want to hear from you concerning that part of my deck.

Keep in mind, that I have chosen them only from the leftovers of our booster box and I didn't spent a lot of money on it...

Pokemons (20)

2 Phantump 64/122
2 Phantump 54/146
4 Trevenant 65/122
4 Trevenant BRK 66/122
2 Rattata 66/108
1 Raticate 88/122
1 Raticate 67/108
2 Raticate BRK 89/122
1 Hoopa EX XY85 ( will replace it by a 2nd Pidgeot EX)
1 Pidgeot EX 64/108

Trainers/Items/Stadium (26)

1 Delinquent
2 Energy Retrieval
4 Team Flare Grunt
3 Wally
2 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Tierno

1 Ultra Ball
2 Great Ball
4 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Professor,s letter
2 Max Elixir
1 VS Seeker

1 Shrine of Memories

Energies

10 Psychic Energy
4 Double Colorless

I dont have plans to get into tournaments in a near future, but I am a competitive person and we like to play at our local store in our local Pokemon League, so I am looking for a way to beat Jolteon EX/Glaceon Ex, yveltal EX and Houndoom EX milling deck !

Thoughts !?

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
So the only Trevenant I have had moderate success with in standard is a Trevenant Gengar deck:

Trevenant Gengar
##Pokémon - 19
* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 2 Gastly BKT 58
* 2 Haunter BKT 59
* 2 Gengar BKT 60
* 3 Trevenant BREAK BKP 66
* 4 Phantump BKP 64
* 4 Trevenant BKP 65
##Trainer Cards - 33
* 4 Wally ROS 107
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 4 Lysandre AOR 78
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 4 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
* 4 Exp. Share PRC 128
* 2 Level Ball AOR 76
* 1 Delinquent BKP 98
##Energy - 8
* 8 Psychic Energy Energy 5

But I know this is a lot different than what you have, and it's a lot more expensive as well. Plus, I only win about half the time with it, but Trev lost a lot with rotation. It still rules in expanded.

That's a really good idea to run Shrine of Memories with this, that way you can easily evolve into the break. I'd never thought of that, it's probably worth working into the list.

The one thing I'd say about your supporters is that you don't have any draw support cards (yes, most of us don't recognize Tierno as real draw support). A typical deck has about 8 draw support cards (usually 4 Sycamore and 4 N's... I play Birch instead of N but that's a different post).

Also, I'd recommend super rod over energy retrieval. Energy retrieval is usually used by decks that can use more than 1 energy in a single turn (Greninja, Starmie, Volcanion are examples). This way you can get pokemon and or energy, whichever your preference.

Hope this helps, if you haven't found it yet, the Pokemon Trading Card game online is an awesome place to play.

So the only Trevenant I have had moderate success with in standard is a Trevenant Gengar deck:

Trevenant Gengar
##Pokémon - 19
* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 2 Gastly BKT 58
* 2 Haunter BKT 59
* 2 Gengar BKT 60
* 3 Trevenant BREAK BKP 66
* 4 Phantump BKP 64
* 4 Trevenant BKP 65
##Trainer Cards - 33
* 4 Wally ROS 107
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 4 Lysandre AOR 78
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 4 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
* 4 Exp. Share PRC 128
* 2 Level Ball AOR 76
* 1 Delinquent BKP 98
##Energy - 8
* 8 Psychic Energy Energy 5

But I know this is a lot different than what you have, and it's a lot more expensive as well. Plus, I only win about half the time with it, but Trev lost a lot with rotation. It still rules in expanded.

That's a really good idea to run Shrine of Memories with this, that way you can easily evolve into the break. I'd never thought of that, it's probably worth working into the list.

The one thing I'd say about your supporters is that you don't have any draw support cards (yes, most of us don't recognize Tierno as real draw support). A typical deck has about 8 draw support cards (usually 4 Sycamore and 4 N's... I play Birch instead of N but that's a different post).

Also, I'd recommend super rod over energy retrieval. Energy retrieval is usually used by decks that can use more than 1 energy in a single turn (Greninja, Starmie, Volcanion are examples). This way you can get pokemon and or energy, whichever your preference.

Hope this helps, if you haven't found it yet, the Pokemon Trading Card game online is an awesome place to play.

Thanks a lot for your time. It is really appreciated.

I would have 2 questions:

why did Trevenant wins less in standard then expanded ?

What is the strategy behind the choice of gengar/gastly/haunter?

Thanks again

The Trevenant from expanded had an ability that would prevent your opponent from using items. The nervous seed Trevenant is still decent - there are SO many big basics in the game today and 1 additional energy really slows them down. I played a Snorlax the other night and he had to put 6 energy on him to use pulverizing pancake.

Gengar is very "trollish." It's attack creep show is perhaps the most controversial attack in the game today. For 2 psychic energy, you KO ANY pokemon. ANY pokemon no exceptions, no defenses, no protections. The only pre-requisite is that the pokemon have 3 damage counters already on it. Trevenant Break is the perfect compliment to Gengar to accomplish this.

It's a decent deck. It can beat most decks, but it does have autolosses against decks with healing (esp. Rough Seas), and like any deck if you dead draw you're screwed. But it's not a common deck, definitely not going to be in the top 8 this weekend in Athens! It should dominate a Houndoom mill deck, and Glaceon's effect doesn't work against either Trevenant or Gengar, so you should do well against those decks. You're at a huge disadvantage against Yveltal though because of weakness. And be aware that your opponent is probably not going to be happy with you when you call out creep show for the first time.

Ok so I have a suggestion:

-1 Delinquet
-4 Team Flare Grunt
-1 Shrine of Memories
-2 Great Ball
-2 Pokémon Fan Club
-1 Tierno
Add:
+2 N
+4 Sycamore
+3 Ultra Ball
+2 Acro Bike

These are all draw/staple cards in decks if you have a bad hand or are looking for cards use N. 4 Ultra bal, is good if your trying to look for that trevenant BREAK etc.

Last edited:
Also thanks for the deck list I added the cards I suggested and the rest of the cards you had on their with a few minor tweaks anyway I went on eBay and the total summed up at around 50 dollars budget and maybe competitive.

Also thanks for the deck list I added the cards I suggested and the rest of the cards you had on their with a few minor tweaks anyway I went on eBay and the total summed up at around 50 dollars budget and maybe competitive.

Thanks for your advices

I should follow your comments. Just to tell you that I have followed the gengar suggestions written above plus your commebts. Should be a freat cheap deck !

Back