• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard BUDGET Trevenant BREAK/Gengar (GRI)

Mr. Mirek

Aspiring Trainer
Good morning PokeBeach! This is my first time here though I have been playing PTCGO for about half a year now. I am looking forward to being part of this community more and perhaps playing against some of you soon.

I've taken an older Trevenant BREAK/Gengar deck and tried to make something newer out of it. I'd like to keep it a BUDGET deck, but I am looking for ways to make it a bit more effective. I have a 50% win record with it, and the ones I have lost have come down to the very end (nearly decking out or 1-2 prize cards left).

There are various strategies, but the most effective is widespread damage with Gengar in for the KOs.

As I said, I am looking for some tweaks in the SUMO/GRI era, so have at it.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 2 Phantump GRI 6
* 3 Trevenant GRI 7
* 2 Gastly BKT 58
* 2 Haunter BKT 59
* 2 Gengar BKT 60
* 3 Trevenant BREAK BKP 66
* 2 Phantump BKP 64
* 2 Remoraid BKT 32
* 2 Octillery BKT 33

##Trainer Cards - 28

* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 1 Teammates PRC 141
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Brigette BKT 134
* 3 N FAC 105
* 1 Super Rod NVI 95
* 1 Escape Rope PLS 120
* 1 Level Ball AOR 76
* 2 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 1 Evosoda GEN 62
* 1 Town Map BCR 136
* 3 Altar of the Moone GRI 117

##Energy - 12

* 2 Double Colorless Energy FAC 114
* 10 Psychic Energy XYEnergy 8

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

A few thoughts for your consideration:
  • My intial thought is that I'd suggest incorporating another Level Ball in order help get your bench setup faster, especially should you not draw into a Brigette T1/2. Consider -1 Town Map for +1 Level Ball. This extra Level Ball can also help get needed Stage 1 Pokémon too.
  • I suspect you'll lose the first prize most times given the the relatively "low" HP of your Pokémon. So, playing an Ace Trainer when you're behind in hte prize count can be quite helpful. Consider -1 N for +1 Ace Trainer.
  • If you're concerned about opponent's Item-locking you (should it be popular in your area), consider replacing the Escape Rope with an Olympia. If true, also consider replacing the Super Rod with a Brock's Grit.
  • Incorporating 1-2 Wobbuffet (Bide Barricade) could help too by disrupting your opponent's non-Psychic Pokémon Abilities. Consider -1 P energy.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

I very much appreciate your suggestions! I am playing it now, and here are the stats thus far...

Loss: Against Trev/Garb
Loss: Against Decidueye/Tauros
Win: Sylveon GX
Loss: Sylveon GX (all the way down to 1 card each and I decked out)

I see you are from Chicago! Me too! I go to Top Cut Comics in Berwyn for prereleases. Let me know where you do most of your Pokemon "stuff"

I very much appreciate your suggestions! I am playing it now, and here are the stats thus far...

Loss: Against Trev/Garb
Loss: Against Decidueye/Tauros
Win: Sylveon GX
Loss: Sylveon GX (all the way down to 1 card each and I decked out)

I see you are from Chicago! Me too! I go to Top Cut Comics in Berwyn for prereleases. Let me know where you do most of your Pokemon "stuff"
Yes, that's my main league too. I plan to be there on Sunday; so, we can test live.

Sadly, as the father of 5, I cannot be there on Sunday...
but as a teacher, gladly, I am going to make Pokemon League a summer priority!

:)
Great. Props to you - you must be real busy with 5 kids. Hopefully, your kids will all get into the game. It's a great way to promote family fun and interaction, as well as an aid to help kids improve a variety of important academic and developmental skills.

Back