Buddy Poffin from “Wild Force” and “Cyber Judge!”

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
A new Item card has just been revealed from Japan’s Wild Force and Cyber Judge. The sets will release on January 26th. We expect their cards to become part of our Temporal Forces set in March.
Buddy Poffin – Trainer
Item
Search your deck for up to 2 Basic Pokémon with 70 HP or less and put them onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck.
You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn.
Thanks goes to JustInBasil for the translation!

Continue reading...

Last edited:
WOW this card is broken lol

it is good that you cant grab big basic pokemon from this card, such as two-prizers and relevant radiant pokemon. in theory, this helps stage 2 decks catch up with big basic decks in terms of speed.

that being said, this is gonna make lost zone and charizard ex ABSOLUTELY BROKEN post-rotation. since most of their basic pokemon are 70 hp or less, they'll basically have battle vip pass in a rotation without battle vip pass, that works on every turn.

WOW this card is broken lol

it is good that you cant grab big basic pokemon from this card, such as two-prizers and relevant radiant pokemon. in theory, this helps stage 2 decks catch up with big basic decks in terms of speed.

that being said, this is gonna make lost zone and charizard ex ABSOLUTELY BROKEN post-rotation. since most of their basic pokemon are 70 hp or less, they'll basically have battle vip pass in a rotation without battle vip pass, that works on every turn.
I think there are more restrictions for lost box compared to zard, but you are right to say that both decks are gonna be absurd when this releases. Even though Lost box cant get like cram or greninja anymore, having the ability to just go get comfeys with these is still crazy. But I fully agree that Zard is gonna be absurd since they honestly could care less if they cant search rotom, having search for mander and pidgeys is good enough for them.

it has the caveat of not being able to grab Radiants and basic V/exs but hot damn just the fact that there's no First Turn Only restriction makes this insanely good already.
I agree with that, i hated the first turn restriction on VIP pass! i thought it was so dumb. Seems limiting it to 70 hp basics without a first turn limit is more better and balanced

This is definitely less toxic than VIP Pass given no turn 1 restriction, and the limitation on what you can pull. I'm still not the biggest fan of this card's printing.

That said, decks still require very strong openings in order to progress the early game safe, and you still have that issue of "My opponent opened Buddy Poffin and I didn't, so he has a much stronger start than I do". Not every deck is gonna have this option anymore to claim that statement, but it will still come up in conversation. Thankfully, it's not as polarizing as VIP being useless after turn 1.

This is a slippery slope to balance because if this card wasn't printed, you risk aggro go-second decks shredding through weaker openings using Prime Catcher, which was honestly a mistake to even print since it created a need for this card's existence somewhat.

As far as how decks' outlooks change with this card for the coming rotation, Chien Pao can now competently set up its pokemon line once rotation hits, Gardevoir can actually still set up its discard and draw engine once rotation hits but still has less consistency in setting up Kirlias between no Level ball and no Mirage Step, and Charizard effectively now loses almost nothing to rotation bar level ball and VIP setting up Rotom V.

Lost Box is still on the hunt for an Escape Rope reprint to avoid a hard counter (Flutter Mane), so I'm not yet sold on that deck's performance with SV5 just yet. There's still a lot of pack to go and things could change, but at this point, Escape Rope being reprinted or not is the thing I am most concerned about affecting the game, next to the state of a stadium like Path.

Last edited:
I just dropped VIPs from my deck like 3 days ago... Got tired of just using them 2/10 games and being complete useless for most of my games, I only have 10 basics and 6 of them including Jirachi and Manaphy have 70HP, so maybe I just add 2 of theses

Extremely balanced and was super necessary for a ton of decks with Level Ball, Fog Crystal, Battle VIP Pass, etc etc rotating. Will also be great for a lot of fun decks in Expanded, and stupid good in GLC. We're only 5 days into the year and I somehow doubt we'll receive another item card that will dethrone this one for me for the rest of the year.

Gardevoir will benefit as well as Chien-pao (set up those Frigibax). Thought my Chien-pao deck would suffer after rotation. Maybe not

They need to release an item card that reads: "Search your deck for a single-prize Pokemon, reveal it, and put it into your hand." 1 prize decks will always struggle to keep up with multi-prize decks, especially when 1-prizers get 1-shot so often.

This will make me miss Battle VIP pass more after rotation. It is still really good, to bad gardevoir won’t really exist after rotation. I can see this in a lot of stage 2 decks and LZB

Back