Brock's Grit vs Super Rod

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
XY8_EN_149.png
XY12_EN_74.png

Hello! Today we are discussing what these two cards, Brock's Grit and Super Rod differ.

In past days, I saw some decks related to XY- Evolutions. But what I am worrying is people still using Super Rod although there is a card from XY- Evolutions that is better than that. Oh boy, when do people realize that Brock's Grit is better than Super Rod?

What do they differ?

Brock's Grit
  • It functions as 2 Super Rods.
  • It is a Supporter so it can retrieve via VS Seeker if it is in a discard pile in some cases.
Super Rod
  • It retrieve 3 combination of Pokemon and Basic Energy back into your deck.
  • It is an Item so you can use many Super Rods as you like (If players nowadays run bunch of rods.)
Side Effects:
  • Brock's Grit, it is a supporter card. If you want to use it, you cannot use N or Sycamore for Hand Refresh or some offense-based Supporters like Lysandre.
  • Super Rod, it is an item. Item lock is still alive because of the damm flower, Vileplume. Some people still playing it.
What do you think, are you agree in my thoughts?

Last edited:
I think you should play the one you prefer, or the one that is the most effective in your area. For example: if people play a lot of vileplume you play brock's grit, but if there isn't any vileplume, you should play super rod in my opinion. Brock's grit looks way cooler than super rod, so that is good too. :cool:

I tend to open with Super Rod more often than I care for and when I do, I end up discarding it for Ultra Ball. I'm willing to test Brock's Grit out to see if it functions better but my issue is the fact it's a Supporter. When I played Flower Shop Lady, I ended up losing a match because I couldn't play another supporter after it to try and fetch the Pokemon I put back into the deck. That experience alone is enough for me to not use Brock's Grit over Super Rod. I'm also testing with Puzzle of Time so I may not need either.

I haven't had a chance to test yet, but generally (if there's space, and depending on the deck) in my decks I like to run 2 decks to ensure I have enough energy and pokemon in my deck and because I tend to prefer Sycamore, so I was intending to replace 1 rod with Brock's Grit and the other with a fourth VS Seeker (I only usually ran 3 prior, but the extra lets you grab the brock)

Most competitive decks are going to be focusing on more tempo (sycamore/N) or mechanic breaking (hex/ranger) plays than recovering pokemon/energy with Brock's Grit; making Super Rod a SUPERior (pun intended, kill me) choice.

I see BG fitting in to decks that focus on sky field though (M Ray/M Garde/Basic Rainbow Road) simply due to deck space and their efficiency as a 1 card boom.

Grits are better. 1. I don't like fishing. 2. Grits are better. 3. It takes up less space. Yes, it does lower the Tempo a bit, but the reality is when you play your grits you've probably already setup pretty good and it won't often interfere with setting up. Even so, I'd say it depends on the player. I play grits because it takes up less space in a tight deck (Mega Venusaur) And running Super Rod seems bad because by the time you actually need to USE it, the plume is setup. This is not the case with your delicious grits.

I see Super Rod remaining the superior choice for a few reasons.

1. It's an item. You're allowed to play as many copies as you like in a turn, without worrying about using the supporter.
2. It needs fewer targets. I know this seems like it would be a downside, and is the point of this thread, but needing fewer targets means that one or two knock outs on your side has it active, as opposed to several knock-outs with multiple energy on each.
3. It's an item. I know I made this point before, but this time, the purpose of this reason is that there are supporters out there that can single-handedly swing advantage (*cough* N! *cough*). Using your supporter for the turn on Brock's Grit means that you used your supporter for the turn to make sure you didn't deck out, or got back resources that you probably didn't need. Either you ran multiple copies of a knocked out 'mon, and have more in the deck/prized, or you need energy, in which case there are better options for each of these.

Back