Discussion Brigette, a card that makes players love or hate the most

Androsidy

Aspiring Trainer
I originally thought brigette should get an erratta but after reading here and on Facebook I realise it's not that significant. Can you use Pokémon fan club for 2 gxs ? If so that would be interesting. I think brigette is mainly used for a mixture of basic/gxs . There isn't a tier one deck that consistently gets 3gxs . Although I do feel it a bit of an oversight by Pokémon not to consider this on release of gx.

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
I've never actually seen anyone use this card to pull a basic GX. 90% of the time it's to put some Raltz on the bench.

Although it does make sense to use it that way.
Raltz in standard, Night Marchers in expanded, in the future it could very well belong to Nebby:p

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
And... you're more or less saying "people with challenges like autism and special needs don't count as full people -- isn't that funny?"

Spoiler: Nope, not funny.
It would definitely be disrespectful if I said that about people, but I'm talking about a freakin Geodude. And for someone who is actually disabled I don't find it offensive at all.

Spoiler: Geodudes aren't people, aside from the fact that they have a face, arms, and get half buried in the mountains

JGB146

♫♪.ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı.♫♪
It would definitely be disrespectful if I said that about people, but I'm talking about a freakin Geodude.

Spoiler: Geodudes aren't people, aside from the fact that they have a face, arms, and get half buried in the mountains

No one cares about insults to Geodudes. The part that's getting a reaction is the implication that "half" means the same as "autistic or special needs." It's in the same vein as if you had said that the half Geodude was a female or was a darker color than the full Geodudes (those too would be offensive regardless of whether we're on the surface talking about Geodudes).

I try to rail against excessive PC culture, but this doesn't seem excessive IMO. This is similar to jokes that have belittled as much as half of our population for centuries as a means to "keep them in their place." Changing the target doesn't change the overall issue.

For my part, I'd like to drop the discussion now. I think we've covered why people could/would have a problem with the joke, and I think it's pretty clear you didn't mean the joke in that way.

Let's get back to Pokemon :)

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
I think Brigette is healthy for a format that has become evolution-heavy. There's only one deck that I feel slightly abuses Brigette, which is Tapu Bulu GX/Vikavolt. Being able to grab a Tapu Bulu GX AND two Grubbin makes it that much easier to get a Turn 2 Vikavolt, which puts your opponent in a bad position at the beginning of the game. With that said, I don't think Brigette should be changed. Most decks don't grab any GXs with it. Gardevoir grabs Ralts/Remoraid, Metagross grabs, Beldum/Alolan Vulpix, Volcanion doesn't use it. Drampa GX/Garbodor is another deck that slightly abuses it, being able to grab a Drampa GX and two Trubbish, making it much easier to get a Turn 2 Garbotoxin active and/or utilize Po Town for a 150-180 damage Berserk. I don't think it's enough to warrant an errata though.

It'll be interesting to see how much of an edge, if any, Brigette gives decks that are focused on running Ultra Beasts because now players will be grabbing 2-3 GXs with Brigette. Sure, just because they're on the field doesn't mean they pose an immediate threat, but getting them on the bench Turn 1 does give you the advantage of helping thin your deck a bit and focusing on powering them up as opposed to having to use Ultra Ball, Nest Ball, or whatever other search options are available to get them on the field.

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
No one cares about insults to Geodudes. The part that's getting a reaction is the implication that "half" means the same as "autistic or special needs." It's in the same vein as if you had said that the half Geodude was a female or was a darker color than the full Geodudes (those too would be offensive regardless of whether we're on the surface talking about Geodudes).

I try to rail against excessive PC culture, but this doesn't seem excessive IMO. This is similar to jokes that have belittled as much as half of our population for centuries as a means to "keep them in their place." Changing the target doesn't change the overall issue.

For my part, I'd like to drop the discussion now. I think we've covered why people could/would have a problem with the joke, and I think it's pretty clear you didn't mean the joke in that way.

Let's get back to Pokemon :)
Then what is a half Geodude? :)