Bouffalant from Black & White (#91) [6/2]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
cotdcopy.png

91-bouffalant.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. Analyze the stats of the card (HP, Weakness, Resistance, Retreat cost).
2. Analyze the attacks (and/or Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies, Abilities) of the card.
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. What techs can you use to combat the weak points?
5. How's the artwork?
6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).

Posts MUST be more than one sentence long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted.

1. 100 HP is very nice for a basic. Slightly above average for a non-evolver. Weakness is bad, with Donphan keeping Cinccino and Zoroark in check. Resistance is non-existent, and retreat is bad, but not unredeemable. Since his attack takes a DCE, he can use the same DCE to retreat.

2. The first attack is situational, but potentially game changing. For a mere DCE, 90 damage is very, very good. However, 20 for a DCE is absolutely terrible. Head Charge... should really never be used. four energy on a single Pokemon is gluttinous to the extreme. If you put four energy on a Tyranitar Prime, that's one thing. Those four energy produce 120 damage. In this case, though, it only makes 80 damage, and has a 50/50 chance of knocking down Bouffalant's HP by 20. Not good.

3. No particular combos other than any deck that runs DCE. The obvious choice would seem to be Cinccino, but honestly in that case you're better off just running more Cinccino. Zoroark + Bouffalant + something else is a decent combo, though. Also, running it with Cynthia's Feelings is nice, and gives you a better chance at coming across those DCE.

4. That is the problem - the most logical deck partners are also weak to Fighting. Also, there are two commonly played Fighting types, Donphan and Machamp. Problem is, they have different weaknesses. Running Bouffalant in Psychic or Water decks makes the most sense. Samurott appreciates the backup, for sure.

5. Meh. The front half looks like he's planted still, the back half looks like he's running. Not a good design, honestly. I like the angry face, though.

6. Limited 4/5 - Good REVENGE killer. :p
Unlimited 1/5 - gimmick is gimmicky. Lots of other cards do better and don't rely on having something die.
Modified 3/5 - A decent tech, but most decks will make short work of it.

1.) It's Basic. It's got 100 HP. And it can abuse DCE. Unfortunately, we've got a heavy Retreat Cost and a not-so-friendly Weakness to Machamp and Donphan Prime, on our hands as well.
2.) No Abilities, but we've got a decent attack: Revenge. Being able to comeback after a KO and do 90 is pretty solid, but very situational. I'd go for the surprise factor: send a Pokemon up with free Retreat, slap down the Bouffalant, DCE, Retreat, bam. 90. Of course, if we keep RR in the rotation, this is a nice Garchomp C LV.X counter for late game, but the heavy Retreat Cost isn't the best. You'd rely on Warp Point or SSU to get it back.
3.) Uhh...I wouldn't combo it with anything. Just a tech. And only one of it - you don't need any more. It's an avenger.
4.) You'd play lots of Switch and/or Warp Point to keep Bouffalant from being a one-hit wonder and leave it open for a free Prize for your opponent.
5.) Very nice. I like it a lot.
6.) 2/5. Too situational for me.

Guiding questions:
1. Well, 100HP for a basic pokemon, is very good, indeed. It doesn't have resistance to anything, it's weakness is very common and the retreat cost is kind of heavy, but not impossible to pay.
2. It haves two attacks, and the good one is the first, because it makes it a good revenge killer, because it can does 90 of damage, and that's a lot for only two energy cost, or one Double Colorless Energy, the second attack is kind of meh, because it can damage itself, and the cost of 4 energies isn't very nice.
3. Because is an colorless pokemon and a basic one, it can enter in almost every deck.
4. Well, a good point for this pokemon is hit and run. The opponent k.o one of yours pokemon, then Bouffalat enters to action, gives 90 of damage to the opponent pokemon, probably k.o.-ing and then it gives you time to retreat your next turn.
5. It's cool i think :)
6. 3/5 is good to revenge kill some of your opponents pokemon, but unfortunately it's weakness is very common, and can be easily killed. So be sure to have some switch to keep it alive.

100Hp is great on a non-evolving basic, but no resistance is never good. I personally think the 2 retreat cost isn't that bad in the HGSS-on format, but it's bad on this card because after it revenges, it can easily be revenged itself.

2. Analyze the attacks (and/or Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies, Abilities) of the card.
The first attack is all you need, you probably will never have to use it's second attack. Doing 90 for a DCE is amazing, only problem is that you will only be doing 20 after that.

I think this card fits perfectly into water decks such as Blastoise and Samurott. Decks like Blastoise and Samurott has a big problem with Zekrom, but because Zekrom does 40 damage to itself, leaving it with only 90Hp, makes it a easy target to revenge. Also, it has good synergy with water decks because donphan is weak to water.

It's only weak point is it's retreat cost, so switch or super scoop up works nice with it, but I wouldn't those cards unless you already have them in you deck, because Bouffalant is a tech itself.

5. How's the artwork?
I like it, it's like they caught Bouffalant in mid run with blur affect on the background, but I do think it's front legs are spread apart a little too much.

6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
4/5. It's going to be a great tech in some decks in the next format and I personally think it will have some impact on the game.

The HP is excellent for a basic. The weakness is just terrible with donphan and machamp. The retreat is pretty bad. Although the retreat cost can be paid for from the energy for the attack.

The first attack is just situational. I personally think this card will be the new promo toxicroak, with the attack only after a KO on your pokemon. The second attack is just terrible, you should never have four energies on this pokemon.

I don't see any combos except for keeping him on the bench with no energy and then when your active pokemon gets KO'ed, then send him up to the active position and attach a DCE. The 90 damage will if not KO, but do at least do decent damage.

I don't see anything that can help the weakness. In fact this card should be a tech itself. It can really fit into any deck that has DCE in it.

5. How's the artwork?
I like the artwork. It really looks intimidating, which it should.

I would give the card a 3/5. It can fit into a deck that has DCE in it, or you can just attach two energies to it. I would give this a 3 also because this would only be good as a back-up after a KO and not as a regular attacker.

Great HP for a basic Pokemon, however the fighting type weakness is a HUGE setback for it, as Donphan and Machamp are two great cards and are commonly used. Bad retreat cost, too.

Revenge makes this a good card, as when your opponent KOs your pokemon it just comes up and KOs the other pokemon, and then swaps out. Second attack: not so great. Never waste two DCE on it.

I can't really see any combos for it. Maybe Dodrio from Undaunted to take out the retreat, but nothing else.

4. What techs can you use it with to combat the weak points?
I really don't see any techs for him. After all, he is a tech, as he can fit into any deck because he doesn't need a specific type of energy and can abuse DCE.

5. How's the artwork?
I'm not sure if it's supposed to be running or rearing up, but otherwise, it's great. They caught the background blur well.

I give it a 3/5. It can do well with DCE and it's a great revenge killer, but the weakness to Donphan and Machamp is a real weakness. It also can't stand up on its own, as its only solo attack requires 4 energy and can potentially cause damage to itself.

Back