'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

By the way, looks like a DCE reprint is confirmed as well, given the DCE in his hand had the XY 8 Logo on it.

Because maybe they discovered what they liked? Rare Candy wasn't always in the TCG yet when from it first got printed it has pretty much been in every format since.

Well... are they making the Pokémon TCG for "lols" or is it a product they wish to market to consumers? What "they" like matters, but since they are a business I'm assuming game balance and profitability (both long and short term) are going to matter. Their reputation is at stake as well; if the Pokémon TCG becomes a true joke, as poorly made as the quick cash-in TCGs that are just dumped on the market.

Well, if doing roughly the same damage as M Rayquaza for a DCE through certain conditions makes something overpowered, Night March and Vespiquen sure look broke to me. ;)

The bulk of the competitive card pool is overpowered. It can be hard to tell; at first I thought the "weaker" cards just needed to be stronger but then I realized how things like pacing and game balance all go out the window when that is done.

Which Pokemon does the opponent have on his bench on the right side, between Hoopa and his discard pile?

Hm... So the new Zoroark line is a thing of beauty, but Raichu and Noivern aren't looking all that convincing to me. That's a pity, 'cause I was hoping I would get a chance to fix my bat deck.

Also, that theme music is hype.

Noivern BREAK should be excellent with Noivern FFI. The Echolocation ability would still be in effect, and spread would still be the point of the deck, but Noivern gains something it needed, a finishing attack. Instead of relying on another Pokemon with a more damaging attack that you would have to devote additional energy to, Noivern can now do that itself with the energy it already has. It really depends on the base damage here, but its effect of matching hand-size could make your opponent play differently and open up a KO with even less damage on the board. The additional 30HP probably won't do a whole lot, but it could push Noivern into 2HKO range in some instances and makes the Shamin-EX + Muscle Band strategy people use on it to require another attack as well as getting the flips to deal damage.

Why of course! The tool states that all retreat cost is eliminated, or something of that nature. please understand my translations are rough, but that is what i believe it says.
(my translations are usually accurate.) hope this helps
Thank you. Yes it definitely appears to be float stone. The illustration even looks like it. Now I highly doubt it's Dark Stone or whatever it's called in the VG.

I have a feeling these break cards are going to be in the rare spot and in turn exs will be harder to pull. Plus if they put the legendary holo collection, regular holos and make less exs for the set it may end up being impossible to pull any exs.

I'll have to wait and see what other Pokemon are getting exs first though before I know if I'll collect it.

I indefinitely think so! Break Chesnaut Msceptile may break it too!

(Not really when it comes to the zoroark though)
wynaut? (HA!) zoroark literally having rush in, mind jacking to OHKO almost anything, and break zoroark using your opponent's strength against them? (Play XY Swellow in case you don't like the attack your using, or just use mind jack) Besides, we haven't even gotten chesnaught yet, so no one knows if it's good or not.( Even so, it's technically a stage three)

Well, if doing roughly the same damage as M Rayquaza for a DCE through certain conditions makes something overpowered, Night March and Vespiquen sure look broke to me. ;)

Regardless, it's a stage 1. The simple fact of the matter is that Zoroark is a lot harder to get than a Keldeo ever was. Plus, if you run a 1-1 line, you might prize one of the parts, and things are going to get a little depressing. Sure, prizing Keldeo is the same thing, but with this you have double the chances to prize a part. That means you have to run it thicker, especially if you want to get it not late-game. Ergo, you have to save a good six or seven cards in your deck to have a consistent Impersonate (2-2 Zoroark + 2/3 Float Stone). Regardless, it's still not as good because you have to Wally it if you want to use it turn 1 unlike Keldeo.

The attack is good -- don't get me wrong -- but not all decks are M Ray. Typically, you're (or "they're", rather) going to have about four Pokemon on your bench at any one given time with the Shaymin and other attackers being built up. That means that the attack will deal roughly 130 damage on average, which is good, but not huge. I am of the opinion that it's good in its own deck, but sorely outclassed by a simple tech of Switch. Heck, running four Switch is much simpler -- and smaller -- than Zoroark.

But that's just my opinion.

On a side note, Bronzong is still a thing now because of Float Stone! :D

It's true. You can't just splash a stage 1 like you can with something like Keldeo. When was the last time that happened? People seriously need to cool it with the crying OVERPOWERED!!!! at cards they've only just seen for the first time and have never played with. If this new Zoroark line becomes competitive, it'll be in its own deck, which might be really interesting. Imagine Target Whistle seeing play. Also, Zoroark.
The thing to note here, for both of you, is that here we have a 1-prize Pokemon who has Keldeo's ability, MRay levels of damage, which, no, night march and vespiquen do not hit very easily at all, at a lower attack cost to boot. Pretty much everyone has a full bench these days, thanks to Shaymin.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Non-competitive TCG view: I am personally not a fan of Mega Evolutions in general, BUT if they had turned out to be mechanistically like these BREAK cards and replaced EXes I'd have much preferred it: as a personal view I'd much rather Mega Evolve a Charizard that I had gone through the effort of evolving from it's first stage than Mega Evolving a Charizard-EX that I just placed down as a Basic (nothing intrinsically Charizard-like about it, as far as the game state is concerned it is completely distinct from a BCR Charizard for instance.)

(This differs from for instance Dark Charizard from way back where the evolutionary stage at least diverged from the same as the normal evolutionary line, or Owner's Pokemon, because at least for Magma's Camerupt I am evolving from a Magma's Numel. Nothing objective about this, just a preference).

Competitive view: as glorified Lv.Xes, I wonder how much viability these could actually have, it's not like Stage 2 attackers are doing particularly well right now (they seem to be largely support) and that doesn't even go into the fact that we are getting things like Chesnaught BREAK which are effectively Stage 3s. So overallI think good idea, I hope they're viable but I suspect the vast majority will still be outpowered by EXes.

The thing to note here, for both of you, is that here we have a 1-prize Pokemon who has Keldeo's ability, MRay levels of damage, which, no, night march and vespiquen do not hit very easily at all, at a lower attack cost to boot. Pretty much everyone has a full bench these days, thanks to Shaymin.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

You do have a point about it being a single prizer. That can cause some serious issues for Ray players. But as I stated before, not every deck is Ray. You will have, generally, about four to five Pokemon on your bench which deals from 130-160 damage on average. You could always attach a Muscle Band, but you're going to be Float Stoned anyway, so that's impossible. That's by no means overpowered in this format, and only a real threat against Sky Field decks.

But again, this is all opinion based on a card that hasn't been printed yet. We don't even know the next format, or the cards that will be printed. This is pure speculation at best.

Back