'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

Vivillon sounds cool and all but it's a shame its ability is based on a coin flip.

But it does come with some significant advantages in being any type of basic energy and being able to attach to the active (based on the current translation) which are both huge.

I guess the Stage 2 and Coin Flip each counter one of those advantages.

Ew, coin flips.

Still a very good ability, but on a stage 2? I know we have GPF, but if I've taken the time/deck space to run a stage 2, I'd rather have a more reliable ability. I guess the fact that it's ANY Basic energy pays off, though.

Nah, having a coin flip, for me, already makes it bad...
Also, I've noticed the nature vs technology theme too, and thought of Black&White... I guess they forgot they're in Gen 6 now, not 5...

One last thing... this chespin and zorua thing... they're giving a lot of attention to the two already revealed BREAK Pokémon from the set (Zoroark and Chesnaught) and their evolution families... They even appear on the booster packs, they were on the teaser poster for the set, the cards are double rare (RR) like EXs... I hope this doesn't mean they're the only BREAK cards in the set cause that would be disappointing...

hmm vivillion xy and this new vivilion seem like it could be pretty powerful with GPF, xy vivillion needs 5 different colors to get to the magical 180 to hit most ex (4 + muscle band for the close 170). with GPF you can have 4 (assuming heads on the ability flip) by turn 2, with a second of the new vivillion you can go faster but that means we only have 2 of the attacker version... can compensate for that in extended with ho-oh ex. theres potential here but likely needs an ex or strong hitter like miltank to help it out.

Vivillion is decent with Giant Plant Forest but it's on a coin flip and since you're using Giant Plant Forest that means that you are running a grass deck or a deck that can use any energy so I think that Sceptile PRC is better.

If Vivillon w/GPF becomes really popular, I'm just going to make an Ancient Trait Malamar deck. Bye bye acceleration. :p

Okay, Vivillon is awesome because of one card. GPF.

Possible ideas include a Milkillon Deck with a something like PGroudon to sweep, using Vivillon's ability to set it up faster?

The only annoying thing is that it is Stage 2. If it was stage 1 I'd go so far as to consider it the new meta.
you could just use forest of giant plants

A coin flip, yes, but if you are running a thick line and have 3 of these out you will be piling on the energy. The burst would be tremendous. A lot of space would have to be devoted to this. If Vivillion had a better attack it would support itself (what about a really good Vivillian-BREAK?), but as is you need to run attackers. It competes with Sceptile, but unlike Sceptile you don't necessarily need to fill your deck with grass energy. Fun ability though.

I wonder if they'll do the Vivillon gimmick again with different patterns for different TCG language regions. I kind of hope so; it was pretty cool.
While I kind of hope they do that again, but with different patterns, I already went through all the trouble getting all of the different Vivillon from all the different regions in the first set. We'll see what they do, but I hope it's just the pink meadow Vivillon for everyone (to save me the trouble).

Oh My God. I can see it now. Raichu XY43 + Raichu BREAK. 170 damage for 3 energy, plus it can use circle ciruit. Wow. Just wow. This is very amazing.

I guess I have to see it in action to understand what they wanted to accomplish with BREAK cards. I originally figured that a BREAK card would be inarguably broken if not for it requiring more space in your deck to use compared to Megas. So far, you seem to get about the same to slightly less power and about 50 less HP in exchange for more utility. I'm just not sold yet.

USELESS-EX LOL

Hoping this confirms M Glalie-EX in the set (unless they pull a Sharpedo-EX/Camerupt-EX) as well as the Special Water Energy we still need, AND hoping we get a Fire Mega and a Special Fire Energy to go with that :3

Back