Blocking Out the Sun — Snorlax for Charlotte

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Hey everyone! It’s Charlie, and I’m happy to be back with another article. With Charlotte Regionals coming up, I’ve been working on a few different decks to try and counter the new meta. One thing I’ve been focusing on recently is control concepts. While Snorlax Stall has been very successful recently, it has a notoriously bad matchup against Giratina VSTAR decks, which just took first and second place at the Portland Regional Championships. With such a bad matchup against the likely best deck in format, Snorlax Stall needs to adjust if it wants any chance to succeed. However, this isn’t as easy as just adding a few techs and making the matchup an auto-win. Lost Zone Giratina has a very specific set of tools at its disposal that makes dealing with control decks pretty easy. With multiple switching Items, four...

Continue reading...

How will this deck be changed with rotation?
I haven’t spent much time thinking about it yet, but a lot of the most important cards like snorlax and counter catcher will stick around, so I see the deck staying viable one way or another. Also the loss of escape rope will cause marginally less decks to play hard switch cards.

How will this deck be changed with rotation?
Losing horn, and Avery, would have the deck change, now that the discard pile is a safe spot. It needs to run more 1-of jank cards (Lure Module + Erika), and use Eri to scout/snipe UB and Pal Pad, to get to the lock, and it even auto-loses to Gardevoir which can lay down 0 liabilities (4 Teleport Ralts, Spritomb, and Zacian)
Stall probably need to move off snorlax and be focus on a hand control variant that aims to empty options before they get to play the game.

Losing horn, and Avery, would have the deck change, now that the discard pile is a safe spot. It needs to run more 1-of jank cards (Lure Module + Erika), and use Eri to scout/snipe UB and Pal Pad, to get to the lock, and it even auto-loses to Gardevoir which can lay down 0 liabilities (4 Teleport Ralts, Spritomb, and Zacian)
Stall probably need to move off snorlax and be focus on a hand control variant that aims to empty options before they get to play the game.
A pseudo Avery can be replicated with Collapsed Stadium+Lost Vacuum+Erika, but still, losing Echoing Horn really sucks.

Gardevoir loses Zacian V in rotation, at the very least- but I do agree that hand control is gonna be the more viable option. Multiple counts of hand clippers combined with Roxanne/Iono seems like it’ll be the play. I think one of the biggest losses for Blocklax (and other slow moving control decks) will actually be Peonia

Back