Blastoise Variants

Why would I play Parallel City? The point is to OHKO everything with Keldeo, and lowering my own damage is basically contradicting myself, and the other effect is horrible, because half of the time, I need the space for Blastoise/Shaymin/Jirachi/etc. And Fisherman wastes my supporter and clogs my hand early game, where I want to burn my hand down to 0.

Sorry, I thought you could infer the logic behind Parallel City. The point is for you to discard all of your easy prizes (ex. Shaymin and Jirachi) and just leave all the good stuff in play. Rough Seas is a near useless Stadium in here. Tropical Beach and Parallel City are far superior inclusions.

Sorry, I thought you could infer the logic behind Parallel City. The point is for you to discard all of your easy prizes (ex. Shaymin and Jirachi) and just leave all the good stuff in play. Rough Seas is a near useless Stadium in here. Tropical Beach and Parallel City are far superior inclusions.
You play Rough Seas because it is good... It heals what could be game deciding damage, and half of the time, you need to play a stadium in order to even use Archie's Ace. You make literally no sense while using Parallel City, because you want the bench space, that can be crucial in almost every game. Tropical Beach is an unwise suggestion, because of how expensive it is. Parallel City is just a horrid decision though. I'd honestly rather use the Water Grass Fire effect on my side than having 3 bench space.

You play Rough Seas because it is good... It heals what could be game deciding damage, and half of the time, you need to play a stadium in order to even use Archie's Ace. You make literally no sense while using Parallel City, because you want the bench space, that can be crucial in almost every game. Tropical Beach is an unwise suggestion, because of how expensive it is. Parallel City is just a horrid decision though. I'd honestly rather use the Water Grass Fire effect on my side than having 3 bench space.
The damage healed from Rough Seas very rarely makes a difference between a 2HKO or a 3HKO. It basically never matters. If you need to play a stadium to use Archie's you are probably playing way too many Stadiums. Parallel City is great because it clears your Bench of Shaymin-EX and Jirachi-EX. Tropical Beach is also a good Stadium to run in this deck. Yes, it may be expensive but that definitely doesn't make it a bad choice. Try them both out and you will see ;).

The damage healed from Rough Seas very rarely makes a difference between a 2HKO or a 3HKO. It basically never matters. If you need to play a stadium to use Archie's you are probably playing way too many Stadiums. Parallel City is great because it clears your Bench of Shaymin-EX and Jirachi-EX. Tropical Beach is also a good Stadium to run in this deck. Yes, it may be expensive but that definitely doesn't make it a bad choice. Try them both out and you will see ;).
To be fair, I never said Tropical Beach was a bad choice, I said it was a bad suggestion. It is different, because I do agree that Tropical Beach has some potential in the deck, but the fact that it is expensive in real life terms is the whip cream on the milkshake. It's great, but it isn't worth it. And since I posted my list which only played a single stadium, I can't be running too much, as Jacob Van Wagner used 2 Rough Seas, and look where that got him. Shaymin is good because you can just Sky Return, and I hardly bench Jirachi because I usually have the Archie anyway. And if I do, I just discard the other with either Ultra Ball or Battle Compressor. Plus, Keldeo basically kills anything, so that should only be a small problem. I have games where I Shaymin start and I go second. I simply get Archie out, then Sky return to set up(Pun not intended) Keldeo for a T2 KO.

In my local cities that I recently attended rough seas was the difference between me coming back in game three in top 8, so I'd say it's situational but tropical beach has seen some success but it's way to expensive for certain people.

To be fair, I never said Tropical Beach was a bad choice, I said it was a bad suggestion. It is different, because I do agree that Tropical Beach has some potential in the deck, but the fact that it is expensive in real life terms is the whip cream on the milkshake. It's great, but it isn't worth it. And since I posted my list which only played a single stadium, I can't be running too much, as Jacob Van Wagner used 2 Rough Seas, and look where that got him. Shaymin is good because you can just Sky Return, and I hardly bench Jirachi because I usually have the Archie anyway. And if I do, I just discard the other with either Ultra Ball or Battle Compressor. Plus, Keldeo basically kills anything, so that should only be a small problem. I have games where I Shaymin start and I go second. I simply get Archie out, then Sky return to set up(Pun not intended) Keldeo for a T2 KO.
Using Jacob as the excuse for Rough Seas isn't really a valid response. Both Parallel City and Tropical Beach were not in that format, so you cannot base your answer off that. I actually talked to Jacob and Aaron Tarbell personally, and they just said Rough Seas was used to bump Silent Lab, the Stadium in most other situations was unnecessary. Also, when you Sky Return, you aren't usually in the greatest spot as-is and will usually end up losing the game regardless. Like you said, Keldeo basically kills everything, so who actually has the time to Sky Return? Parallel City gets rid of those easy targets and Tropical Beach provides more T1 draw power.

Last edited:
Using Jacob as the excuse for Rough Seas isn't really a valid response. Both Parallel City and Tropical Beach were not in that format, so you cannot base you answer off that. I talked to Jacob and Aaron Tarbell personally, and they just said that the Stadium was used to bump Silent Lab, the Stadium in most other situations was unnecessary. Also, when you Sky Return, you aren't usually in the greatest spot as-is and will usually end up losing the game regardless. Like you said, Keldeo basically kills everything, so who actually has the time to Sky Return? Parallel City gets rid of those easy targets and Tropical Beach provides more T1 draw power.
You do have a good point there. I might try out Parallel City, but Beach is too expensive. I'd rather buy other Full Arts with my Christmas money. I still say though, that Rough Seas can be the difference between game and not game though(But you are right, it can get small targets off of the bench), because of how popular Mega Manectric is, healing 60 of the 220 can save your game. I also ended up taking Kyogre out of my deck for Mewtwo, because of Mega Mewtwo Y, and Yveltal are huge problems with the deck. How would a 1-1 split between Rough Seas and Parallel City work?

You do have a good point there. I might try out Parallel City, but Beach is too expensive. I'd rather buy other Full Arts with my Christmas money. I still say though, that Rough Seas can be the difference between game and not game though(But you are right, it can get small targets off of the bench), because of how popular Mega Manectric is, healing 60 of the 220 can save your game. I also ended up taking Kyogre out of my deck for Mewtwo, because of Mega Mewtwo Y, and Yveltal are huge problems with the deck. How would a 1-1 split between Rough Seas and Parallel City work?
Trust me, you do fine vs Mega Mewtwo. 8 energy is a cakewalk if you know how to conserve. You honestly should just run 1 Parallel, nothing else. The reason I say this is space. There honestly would be nothing to cut. Also, Mega Manectric should be the easiest matchup in the world for you; Rough Seas wont change anything relevant.

Last edited:
Trust me, you do fine vs Mega Mewtwo. 8 energy is a cakewalk if you know how to conserve. You honestly should just run 1 Parallel, nothing else. The reason I say this is space. There honestly would be nothing to cut. Also, Mega Manectric should be the easiest matchup in the world for you; Rough Seas wont change anything relevant.
Could you explain to me how to do both of those things *-*

Something I realized while lazing around, is that I pilot the deck greatly until it comes around to energies. So, I suppose Fisherman is a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would I play Parallel City? The point is to OHKO everything with Keldeo, and lowering my own damage is basically contradicting myself, and the other effect is horrible, because half of the time, I need the space for Blastoise/Shaymin/Jirachi/etc. And Fisherman wastes my supporter and clogs my hand early game, where I want to burn my hand down to 0.
The idea is to drop Parallel City after you've played your own Jirachi/Shaymin to bump them out of play without giving up easy prizes. You can also reduce damage from opposing Seismitoad-EX which would normally give you headaches. It's very useful in theory, but I prefer a single copy of Rough Seas so I can play it (or not) early game to help manipulate my hand size without risking drawbacks.

The idea is to drop Parallel City after you've played your own Jirachi/Shaymin to bump them out of play without giving up easy prizes. You can also reduce damage from opposing Seismitoad-EX which would normally give you headaches. It's very useful in theory, but I prefer a single copy of Rough Seas so I can play it (or not) early game to help manipulate my hand size without risking drawbacks.
If that's your worry, Beach is a far superior choice to Rough Seas.

If that's your worry, Beach is a far superior choice to Rough Seas.
I agree that Beach is objectively the better card and that a single Rough Seas is primarily a free card for Archie's and a way to remove Silent Lab. Beach is also significantly less useful after T1. Considering Beach's scarcity and price, I think a single copy of Rough Seas is a fine alternative when they serve the same purpose the majority of the time.

Rough Seas is definitely the most conservative play, but it's more consistent than Parallel City and only clearly inferior to Beach T1.

Parallel City has been working great for me, I let my opponent dish a bunch of damage on a Shaymin-EX, then I just put It into play, and wasted 3/4 turns of their damage. It can be pretty useful, I just hope I don't have it in my opening hand.

Parallel City has been working great for me, I let my opponent dish a bunch of damage on a Shaymin-EX, then I just put It into play, and wasted 3/4 turns of their damage. It can be pretty useful, I just hope I don't have it in my opening hand.
Worst case scenario, its discard fodder or you take the -20. The -20 isn't the end of the world.

The best card I feel right now to drop in the deck is Kyogre EX DE. It does 50 damage to the bench on two pokemon. The card will easily knock out combes, bats and other little pokemon that are bit of an annoyance. I run my deck with unown's instead of eggs.

The best card I feel right now to drop in the deck is Kyogre EX DE. It does 50 damage to the bench on two pokemon. The card will easily knock out combes, bats and other little pokemon that are bit of an annoyance. I run my deck with unown's instead of eggs.
No believe me when I say you need exeggcute, any lists that run unown simply dropped the acro bikes in favor of the unown.

Please check out my video with my Archie's Blastoise list that I used to get a top 4 cities finish.
Thank you :D

I think it is preference. But the last ten games I flipped archies first round 9 times. I think that is a big enough sample size to prove they are unneeded as its 90% . I don't use acro bikes either. I just have a different method of doing it which appears to work for the deck I built. But eggs are good, though I think the consistency of them is a bit low, especially in use with acro bike. Usually, with eggs, I can get about 85% of the time which is good too.

I think it is preference. But the last ten games I flipped archies first round 9 times. I think that is a big enough sample size to prove they are unneeded as its 90% . I don't use acro bikes either. I just have a different method of doing it which appears to work for the deck I built. But eggs are good, though I think the consistency of them is a bit low, especially in use with acro bike. Usually, with eggs, I can get about 85% of the time which is good too.
Can you post the list?

Back