JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
A new Barbaracle and a new Binacle were revealed from the Japanese set Lost Abyss, which releases in Japan on July 15th. We should see most of the cards from this set become part of our Lost Origin set in September.
Binacle – Fighting – HP70
Basic Pokemon
[F] Mud-Slap: 10 damage.
[C][C] Slash: 20 damage.
Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Barbaracle – Fighting – HP130
Stage 1 – Evolves from Binacle
Ability: Lost Block
As long as this Pokemon is in play, your opponent puts any Prize...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

jperr

Aspiring Trainer
So does this completely invalidate gladion, peonia, and hisuian heavy ball?
im not sure, but i wonder if there's a distinction in the wording of 'taking' prize cards as opposed to putting them in your hand from a trainer. i assume it would invalidate a card like missing clover though

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
I’m curious to see how this interacts with Jirachi Prism Star.

[Edit] My guess is that Jirachi Prism’s ability still works, because it states, “before you put it in your hand,” while Barbaracle is, “instead of your hand.” If Jirachi Prism heads for the bench, Barbaracle doesn’t say “instead of the bench,” meaning it should go through.

Or in other words, it goes:
Draw Jirachi from prize —> choose bench or hand —> if hand, it goes into the lost zone per Barbaracle’s ability.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
I’m curious to see how this interacts with Jirachi Prism Star.

[Edit] My guess is that Jirachi Prism’s ability still works, because it states, “before you put it in your hand,” while Barbaracle is, “instead of your hand.” If Jirachi Prism heads for the bench, Barbaracle doesn’t say “instead of the bench,” meaning it should go through.

Or in other words, it goes:
Draw Jirachi from prize —> choose bench or hand —> if hand, it goes into the lost zone per Barbaracle’s ability.
Correct, but the additional prize card taken if you place Jirachi on the bench would go to the Lost Zone.

Jirachi Prism Star says when you take it as a prize card, you can decide to either;
(1) put it in your hand – which is identical to what is normally done when a prize card is taken, and so Jirachi would go to the Lost Zone.
(2) OR put Jirachi on your bench, and take an additional prize card – Jirachi has been taken as a prize card but is not going to your hand, so Barbaracle does not interact with it. However, the second prize card is being taken and is meant to be put in the hand as normal, so it would instead go to the Lost Zone.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Correct, but the additional prize card taken if you place Jirachi on the bench would go to the Lost Zone.

Jirachi Prism Star says when you take it as a prize card, you can decide to either;
(1) put it in your hand – which is identical to what is normally done when a prize card is taken, and so Jirachi would go to the Lost Zone.
(2) OR put Jirachi on your bench, and take an additional prize card – Jirachi has been taken as a prize card but is not going to your hand, so Barbaracle does not interact with it. However, the second prize card is being taken and is meant to be put in the hand as normal, so it would instead go to the Lost Zone.
Wait for the ruling. This situation is so complicated

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Wait for the ruling. This situation is so complicated
This - I absolutely could see them ruling either way. The wording isn't perfectly clear and so it's up to Japan to tell us how they want it to work. I've seen much more apparently obvious things go the other way than they seemed.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
This - I absolutely could see them ruling either way. The wording isn't perfectly clear and so it's up to Japan to tell us how they want it to work. I've seen much more apparently obvious things go the other way than they seemed.
Usually due to a discrepancy in translations – a translation that seemed good enough at the time later ends up having a discrepancy of consequence, and the ruling is smoothing out the oversight after the fact. There could also be some rulings that have been made out of deference to functionality in the PTCGO (we wanted the card to do X, but since PTCGO can't quite get it to work, we'll have it do Y instead – though I think in all such cases the card is instead banned from PTCGO until when/if they figure it out).

In this case, unless the original text for Jirachi Prism Star did not say anything about the "before you put it into your hand", I'd say yeah a ruling could do something that appears counter-intuitive. But, uh, here is the original text for Jirachi's Ability; 自分の番に、ウラになっている自分のサイドからこのカードをとったとき、自分のベンチに空きがあるなら、手札に加える前に使える。このポケモンを自分のベンチに出し、さらにサイドを1枚とる。

Edit: And here is a transcription of Barbaracle's Ability; このポケモンがいるかぎり、相手がとるサイドは、手札には加えず、ロストゾーンに置く。

Last edited: