• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Big Grinding - Tangrowth

Do You Think This Deck Will Be Viable After Rotation?

• Yes, It will stand a chance

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No, it is only a fun deck, not worth playing at leagues

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

heyboy963

I am NOT cute!
Hi guys. This is a deck I've been working. It's based around Tangrowth from Call of Legends (CL), a card which I think received some hype. Not much, mind you. Here's the decklist:

Pokémon
3-3-1 Tangrowth Lv.X (everything CL)
1-1 Blissey Prime
1-1 Sunflora HS
1-1 Metapod HS
1-1 Vespiquen UD
Pokémon~ 15

Trainers
3 Switch
2 Pokemon Communication
2 Junk Arm
2 Expert Belt
2 Judge
3 Engineer's Adjustments
1 Twins
2 Bebe's Search
3 Pokemon Collector
3 Seeker
2 Fisherman
1 Palmer's Contribution
1 Copycat
1 Interviewer's Questions
1 Lucian's Assignment
2 VS Seeker
Trainers ~ 31

Energy
8 Grass
2 Rescue
4 DCE
Energy ~ 14

I will explain this in sections. First up, the Pokemon lines.

Pokemon
Tangrowth is your main attacker. It can easily swing fro 80 or more on turn 2-3. Tangela CL is the best choice of Tangela, as it lets you search your deck for a {G} energy for one {G} energy. Pretty neat, especially as it's supposed to work together with Tangrowth's attack. While the Tangela from StormFront also has an attack similar to this, it is unreliable as it relies on a coin flip, even if you get to avoid all effects of an attack if you flip heads.
Tangrowth CL has 2 attacks: 'Grind' does 20 damage times the amount of energy attached to it. Sound familiar? That's because many other cards have this effect. Lapras PL and Trapinch RR to name a few. However, what makes Tangrowth better is the sheer amount of support it has from its fellow grass types. And its bulky HP helps a bit.
Tangrowth Lv.X comes with an extra 20 HP, a power and an attack. The power, 'Healing Growth' heal 40 from any of your pokemon on a flip. Kind of helpful. Its attack for {G} lets you search your discard for as many {G} energy and attach them to your pokemon. This helps enormously with set up, as there are many cards in this deck that make you discard cards. (We'll get on to that later). However, sometimes, you may feel it's not worth it to waste that turn. Tangrowth Lv.X is mostly only here for extra HP.
Chansey is used to become Blissey Prime. 'nuff said. Blissey Prime heals your Pokemon of all their damage, but in exchange you must discard all energy attached to those pokemon. However, if you can attach another {G} to your Tangrowth Lv.X, you can just use Big Growth to attach them all back.
Sunkern and Sunflora are there to search out your {G} types.
Metapod line is to remove your pesky weakness to {R} of x2. that means, no more {R} weakness, boosting your chances in a {R} type match-up (eg. Charizard)

Onto the Trainers.

Trainers
Most of these are self-explanatory. I will go through the uncommon ones.
Junk Arm is for discard energy. Engineer's does the same. Lucian's Assignment can be helpful in certain situations.
Say you have a Switch Seeker and Lucian's Assignment in hand and you have a Tangrowth Lv.X up front with a bunch of energy and a Rescue and is 10 HP away from being KOed. You have a benched Tangrowth with full HP, but no energy. Play Lucain's to move all that energy to your Benched Tangrowth. Switch, then Seeker up your damaged Tangrowth and play the Lv.X on your Active and hit for hard damage.

The energy should be self-explanatory too. Rescue to bring back you KOed and DCE is for filling up with energy.

Please leave a comment below! I have been working on this deck for quite some time, but I feel it is still not the best I can make it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. I want this deck to survive rotation, so please no cards that are below RR. Thanks!

Yes, it's a good idea. IMO (and my only suggestion): Add a line of Vespiquen UD because:

1. Against Garchomp (or any heavy sniper) you don't get your Metapod Prized.
2. You protect all your bench (except Blissey). But meh, that goes for item 1 too.

Metapod is a GREAT tech in a grass type the deck, but, what's the problem? 80 HP, any Grachomp can OHKO this little guy. Also, maybe you can switch your damaged Tangrowth but you still don't have any Seeker, so you still are at risk having it benched.

Also, you have a line of 1-1 of every pokemon, except Tangrowth. You didn't consider using Rotom TM?

I think a 3-3-1 should suffice, (I run this very deck). Personally I think more Energy, primarily to boost grinds power, but dont know what to take out.

thank you for your comments. I have taken your opinions into consideration. I will add a 1-1 line of Vespiquen, and take out 1 Tangela and one Junk Arm. I don't want to add the Rotom TM. I feel that it is unneeded.

I won't need any more energy. If you calculate it, the highest HP you are ever going to get is 240 (Nidoking TM with 4 Nidoqueens and an e'belt. 140+(20x4)+20=240). This doesn't see much play, and the second highest HP is 200 (Wailord TM with e'belt). However, both of these don't see very much play. In fact, in the current meta, the average for HP is around 110 (Garchomp C Lv.X, Luxray GL Lv. X, Gengar SF, etc.) to KO these guys, you only need 6 energy. That's 3 DCE using the least amount of energy possible. I already have 8grass energy, 4 DCE and 2 Rescue. I think that will suffice.

I notice how easy it is to get around Garchomp's sniping abilities. There are a few ways:
1. Vespiquen UD in an all grass deck
2. Vespiquen UD ina part grass deck and Bench shields on the othrs
3. Manectric PL with a bench shield
4. Only have 4 benched and have Bench Shield on all of them
However, these require you to sacrifice a bench space, or are very unorthodox.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Back