Discussion Bewear-GX Viability

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarfetchdFan83

Mill Player
bewear-gx-sun-moon-promos-sm34-312x441.jpg

Bewear-GX — Colorless — 210 HP
Stage 1 — Evolves from Stufful

[C][C][C] Bear Hug: 80 damage. The Defending Pokémon can’t retreat during your opponent’s next turn.

[C][C][C][C] Double Impact: 100× damage. Flip 2 coins. This attack does 100 damage for each heads.

[C][C][C][C] Big Throw GX: Discard your opponent’s Active Pokémon and all cards attached to it. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting ×2
Resistance: none
Retreat Cost: 3
NOTE: Note that Bewear-GX's 1st attack does NOT prevent your opponent from attacking

I've been doing a bunch of secret testing with some friends of mine, and I think I found a new meta-defining deck. I know it sounds silly, but hear me out. Bewear GX is busted.

For those who don't know, bewear is a 210 hp gx, which is pretty good, and has the attack bear hug. It does 80 damage for 3 colorless, which is easy to get with steven's resolve (I haven't tested a vikavolt list yet). This attack also says that the defending pokemon can't attack their next turn. This is an amazing attack vs zoroark because it means that they have to guzma or discard a DCE to retreat and attack. It's second attack for 4 colorless, double impact, isn't great, but if you're lucky with coin flips (aka no one), you can do 230 with choice band, which kills pretty much everything. It's GX attack for 4 colorless, Big Throw GX, let's you discard your opponent's active pokemon. This attack is great vs any deck that has to set up a lot of energy (like buzzwole or rayquaza).

I highly recommend buying your bewears now, and if you don't believe me, test it out for yourself. It is really fun and has great matchups vs every meta deck at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

paintbrushpanda

Delibird Enthusiast
Yeah. I tried Bewear-GX out, the deck is AMAZING. I would immediately pick them up if you haven't yet. The 210 HP is amazing, and 80 for 3 plus the opponent not being able to attack is busted vs many decks. The GX is also insane vs energy stacking decks like you said. I've been able to win by discarding a Rayquaza with 4 energies on it. Not to mention, it pairs very well with Zoroark-GX for draw and also because they both use DCE.

TinyCubinator

Aspiring Trainer
At first I thought, "Oh this must be a joke," but after testing it I've found it is amazing. I have yet to hit big energy decks, but stopping Zoroarks from attacking is insane. It also works very well with a 1-of GRI bewear, as it helps draw cards and get around SLG Hoopa. It does have some energy issues, so I'm now testing it with malamar to boost the energies in a shining Lugia style deck.

KindFawn

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Doesn't Bewear just prevent retreat, not attack? Maybe I'm missing something but that's what I'm seeing on every scan.

paintbrushpanda

Delibird Enthusiast
Have you play tested it against naganadel/stakataka yet? If so how did it do?
The deck does amazing vs Naganadel/Stakataka. Sure they lower your damage, but the 210 HP is bulky enough to take 2 hits from a Naganadel with a full UB bench and you can use the GX attack of Bewear and also prevent them from attacking.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
The deck does amazing vs Naganadel/Stakataka. Sure they lower your damage, but the 210 HP is bulky enough to take 2 hits from a Naganadel with a full UB bench and you can use the GX attack of Bewear and also prevent them from attacking.
Where on the card does it say it prevent's them from attacking?

Medi

Aspiring Trainer
I've been testing it too.... it is quite possibly the BDIF. It is so flexible and efficient in a meta without puzzles, and Bear Hug is one of the most broken attacks ever printed. It is very important to pick them up before a spike in price after it wins Philly. Using Vikavolt is the best way to go imo, as it is not hard to set up a stage 2 when you have so much flexibility with Bewear and its otherwise minimal support needed. Preventing attacks is completely busted in this format, and if you don't believe me test it for yourself. You'll thank me later.

TatsuyaOrimuta

Aspiring Trainer
I've been testing it too.... it is quite possibly the BDIF. It is so flexible and efficient in a meta without puzzles, and Bear Hug is one of the most broken attacks ever printed. It is very important to pick them up before a spike in price after it wins Philly. Using Vikavolt is the best way to go imo, as it is not hard to set up a stage 2 when you have so much flexibility with Bewear and its otherwise minimal support needed. Preventing attacks is completely busted in this format, and if you don't believe me test it for yourself. You'll thank me later.
but it doesn't prevent attacks

Audiofreak19

Aspiring Trainer
This has to be a joke. It doesn’t prevent your opponent from attacking. It prevents their active from retreating. Not busted.

DeadlyBee111

Aspiring Trainer
This has to be a joke. It doesn’t prevent your opponent from attacking. It prevents their active from retreating. Not busted.
There has been an errattata on the card since FLI. Nobody noticed cuz ppl where focused on zoroark vs Buzzwole and figure out malamar if u scroll down pokebeach articles u will find it. I dont blame you i had to look again aswell till i found it

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
There has been an errattata on the card since FLI. Nobody noticed cuz ppl where focused on zoroark vs Buzzwole and figure out malamar if u scroll down pokebeach articles u will find it. I dont blame you i had to look again aswell till i found it
Doesn't seem to exist. And PTCGO hasn't been updated with such an errata either

Care to link it?

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
There was no errata they dont suddenly completely change the effect of a card and if there was it would be common knowledge. Stop wasting people's time

Status
Not open for further replies.