Best Theme Deck To Buy?

WhyDidIEvenChooseYou?

Aspiring Trainer
Hi all I am pretty new to Pokemon TCG and I really want to get started into the game. I was watching a couple of videos and they suggested to buy theme deck but I never really knew which one to choose. Thanks so much for all the help .

Deciding the best theme deck can be a bit challenging, but there are a few decisions you need to make so choosing is easier. The first is if you are planning to be a casual player or competitive player. A casual player is more so someone who is just playing to play the game, however a competitive player is someone that is planning to participate in organised tournaments and the like. Casual play is much less expensive, however competitive play is more expensive, as the cards used change around quite easily. I suggest that if you're new, start out casually to learn the game fully. I'll be able to help you most specifically after you decide. :)

Cool, so if that's the case, you may want to get a deck of a Pokemon or type you are particularly fond of. Any type/Pokemon that you like best?

I've had best luck with Dark Hammer (Pangoro deck) in PTCGO theme deck tournaments. It has good damage output and good Supporters (which a lot of theme decks lack).

Best theme deck just makes me think most competitive theme deck to play, as for theme decks every single one of them are god awful and absolutely terrible, they don't actually give you a good idea on how your supposed to build an actual deck unlike other card games where they do give you a solid basis, it's entirely miss leading that way by showing you how to build the worst deck ever.

Red genesect box/collection or the mewtwo/darkrai decks are the best way to go.

Thanks Yoy-yos but isn't the gensect box going to be outdated soon. Causing me to end up having to buy another one soon as the set has changed?

Thanks Yoy-yos but isn't the gensect box going to be outdated soon. Causing me to end up having to buy another one soon as the set has changed?

Technically the Genesect Box is already outdated for Standard play, however is completely viable in Expanded play. There has been a Mewtwo-EX//Darkrai-EX Battle Kit released recently with many good techs, so it may be worthwhile to get a few of those (keep in mind that some cards are Expanded-only). The Xerneas/Yveltal Battle Kit is also an optimal kit.

Alright. I am probably going to stick with the theme deck for now. I am only playing casually and this allows me to first get used to the game. I will probably expand my collection by Christmas and slowly start to enter into more competetive play.

Back