Discussion Best Pokemon game of all time to replay

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
I was thinking about playing a Pokemon game from start to finish- Something that I haven't done in quite some time. I wonder what is the game you find is most replayable in terms of not getting bored of after playing it a number of times. What is the Pokemon game you find yourself revisiting mostly?

Mine up until recently was Pokemon Gold/Silver. I have played this game the most to the point I remember every single step in it.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Even though it's a side game, I have to say Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. The main story is fairly long, and then the postgame story isn't that short either. Even after all the story is finished, there are a lot of dungeons to explore, Legendary Pokemon to recruit, and endless missions to complete.
Also in the case of Sky, the five optional special episodes focusing on characters from the game are really fun to play, and it's nice to have a bit of insight into some other characters.
(and since we've gotten a Red/Blue Rescue Team remake I'm holding onto hope that one day we'll get an EoT/D/S remake)
plus I still get emotional during the scene when the player and their partner are leaving Temporal Tower after beating Primal Dialga

Last edited:

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Easily Platinum. It's got a fantastic Pokedex and a region full of things to do to where you kinda get something new every time you play it. It's also got just the right amount of difficulty to where you're either going to have a decently challenging run or a pretty brutal Nuzlocke if you ever choose to do one of those. I can't even count how many times I've replayed the game, but every time I do it's both a mix of the old things of the game I love, and new experiences from building a completely new team up or finding some secret I missed. I could go on forever about how good Platinum is, it's up there with the Gen 5 games for me, but it's definitely the most replayable one for me at least.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I don't really like restarting my games, but if I would; I would say HGSS. They're probably the best Pokémon games ever made, remakes that went above and beyond the expectations and were visually stunning and musically impressive for the plucky DS hardware.

Plus, I love Johto as a region; I would live there if I could...

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Great the two games I played the least are apparently the best games to revisit :)

Now I just need to find one of them.

In Pokémon Platinum I actually forgot everything about the post game. Is there a good post game?

Scoop

Literally a sheep
In Pokémon Platinum I actually forgot everything about the post game. Is there a good post game?
Postgame is pretty lengthy, honestly. You get a TON of legendaries to go hunt for, plus an entire island to explore that also includes the Battle Frontier (which isn't my cup of tea personally but I know a lot of people love it). Plat's postgame isn't the size of BW2's, but it's definitely pretty hefty.

avensis

Aspiring Trainer
For me it's Pokémon X and Y, this game is simply amazing, incredible, wonderful, magical, MAGNIFICENT!

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon XD is my favorite pokemon game overall it's super repayable sense theres basically 6 starter choices and all double battles means each playthrough can feel very unique. The story is also really good probably the best in the series. Of course you need a gamecube or wii to play it

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
The title of this discussion is misleading - there's NO such thing as "best" Pokemon game!
As evident from these comments, different people have different favorite games.

Simply replay your favorite games! It will make you happy the most :D

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
Although my favourite games are the Johto games, both the originals and the remakes, if we're talking about sheer replayability I'd have to recommend FRLG as the games of choice.

I love streamlining my playthrough and I've pretty much solidified a team that I prefer to beat the game with, but it's still an awesome runthrough. I don't tend to deviate much from the linear progression of events any more, but I'm sure that I haven't uncovered everything there is to do even after a decade of playing it -- for example, I still haven't completed the Pokedex in Kanto, mostly because I know I'm just going to restart the game anyway.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
The title of this discussion is misleading - there's NO such thing as "best" Pokemon game!
As evident from these comments, different people have different favorite games.

Simply replay your favorite games! It will make you happy the most :D
That actually brings up an interesting observation I've had in my times replaying Pokemon games. I love going back to my favorites, Platinum, BW/2, especially. And every time I definitely love doing it, but sometimes, I think it's actually interesting sometimes replaying the games in the series I liked less than most. XY for example used to be one of my least favorite games in the series, and replaying it actually ended up being a new and fun experience that gave me a whole new perspective on the game itself. While flawed compared to others in the series, it ended up shooting up to a very high placement in my favorites. I loved my team and I loved the region of Kalos despite the lackluster plot and the general ease compared to other games.

I think sometimes it's worth going back and rediscovering those kinds of things, seeing if your perspective changes at all with said playthrough. After all, mixing it up a little never hurt!