Best Counters

NintendoAlian

Frontier Brain
This thread will discuss counters to popular Pokemon.

My Pokemon is Yveltal EX.

I know there's Raichu, but, Raichu can be knocked out by a Y Cyclone or after Raichu attacks, Evil Ball will knock it out. And, some Yveltal decks run Absol which can take advantage of Raichu.

Like you guys said, MegaMane and Raichu are solid counters, and there's also the more splashable (meaning easily used in nearly anything, afaik) Dedenne FFI. Other Yveltals and Mewtwo EX can also check it. Absol is rarely played anymore.

Now let's talk Toad. Of course there's the obvious VirGen deck, but what else is a good card/strategy to employ that is relatively splashable? (assuming Toad variants run Mewtwo and Lasers)

Leafeon is a pretty reliable counter to Toad. With a single energy colorless attack it is splashable, but it functions best in an Eeveelutions deck. Eeveelutions in general is designed to counter the most popular decks in the format by evolving into whatever the opponent is weak against. Flareon and Plasma Freeze Vaporeon can also hit opposing Pokemon-EX hard. Of these Flareon is also somewhat splashable, but works best on its own.

I've also seen some people using the Outrage Reshiram Zekrom and Kyurem as counters to mixed results.

grantm1999 said:
Now let's talk Toad. Of course there's the obvious VirGen deck, but what else is a good card/strategy to employ that is relatively splashable? (assuming Toad variants run Mewtwo and Lasers)

Wasn't there a Pokemon that had Startling Megaphone as an attack? The Seismitoad / Garbodor lock can be devastating against decks that rely on Abilities.

Also Seismitoad itself is somewhat splashable; if you can Item lock them, they can't attach a tool to Garbodor if they haven't already. They can't attach Muscle Band to Seismitoad or play lasers either. Lysandre something with a retreat cost up, and you can force them to break the lock since they can't play a Switch. It's not a hard counter by any means, but at the very least, it's a nuisance for your opponent to deal with. The irony of countering Seismitoad with Seismitoad though.

I was about to start a similar thread. I agree with grant on Dedenne as a Yveltal counter. Much more splashable as a basic and it's especially good with silver bangle (3 energy = (60 + 30)2 for 180 or 2 energy = (40+30)2 for 140, putting it in range of a virbank/laser KO). Raichu is still good, but I for decks that need an easier solution, a Dedenne or 2 works while having uses outside of that matchup thanks to entrapment (call for family).

For the toad, Leafeon PLF is generally the best, but next set will give us Yanmega with a CCC attack that does 50 + 50 more if it was switched from the bench that turn. It has free retreat and a draw attack so perhaps this will be the next stage one tech that will pop up in decks (like Raichu and Beartic). There's also the supporter Xerosic. It can either get rid of a tool (disabling garbodor even under item lock) or special energy (getting rid of that DCE on Seismatoad).

For now, things like Yveltal XY and Thundurus EX, that do damage while getting back energy, do very well against decks that use Seismatoad. Seismatoad/Garbodor stops abilities and items, but doesn't do jack against attack effects. Even mere stasis effects could work in a pinch, giving you that one turn to use items again. There's also Scizor BC, which has safeguard in attack form (40 and can't be damaged by EXes for a turn).

A possible and probably funny counter to Seismitoad EX would be Kecleon. Sure, it's only 70hp and needs two energy to function but then again, it's splashable in any deck to counter Mewtwo EX and even force the Seismitoad player not being able to abuse their items against you.

Honestly, the best way to beat toad is knowing how to play against it. It doesn't exactly do a lot of damage--so the key is simply pushing two hit KO's through consistently with something that isn't going to get wrecked by Mewtwo. That's part of the reason why Yveltal EX is so good against Seismitoad--Y Cyclone not only two hit KO's for relatively low energy (and most importantly, no extra needed tools or items), but you set up the rest of your field in doing so. You don't need to go crazy with type counters and the kitchen sink--all you need is a solid, consistent attacker that isn't weak to water or psychic.

I know that Dedenne is an excellent counter to Yveltal EX, but it faces the same problem as Raichu of being knocked out in one shot by Y Cyclone.

For Seismitoad, I think that Leafeon is great. They're also easy to get because they're in a theme deck and was a promo for states last year(well, at least for the one I went to.)

Toxicroak from Legendary Treasures and Boundaries Crossed is a revenge attacker that can OHKO treats like Mewtwo and Lucario. And it only takes one colorless energy and has a one retreat cost. I used it at regionals this year and it one me a match against a Landorus Lucario Mewtwo deck, giving it me 4 prizes and Beartic taking the other.

As far as Seismitoad counters go, aside from Leafeon, I don't think there is much out right now, but Yanmega from Phantom Forces will probably be pretty reliable.

Mora said:
grantm1999 said:

Wasn't there a Pokemon that had Startling Megaphone as an attack?

I brought this card up in a different thread. You are thinking of Chatot from PLB. His first attack discards all tools attached to all your opponents Pokemon.

thood said:
Mora said:
Wasn't there a Pokemon that had Startling Megaphone as an attack?

I brought this card up in a different thread. You are thinking of Chatot from PLB. His first attack discards all tools attached to all your opponents Pokemon.

It can also confuse for a DCE, which could disrupt the lock.

Combustion Blast Charizard EX is being used in Yveltal right now to wipe Virizion's field after several turns of baby Yveltal. Fire Blast Charizard EX is being used in Fairies to kill Virizion and as a raw attacker.

^

I assume you mean Wing Attack? Baby Yveltal can set up a KO with a muscle band (on other pokemon).

Another one to consider, Kyurem EX PLB. It could be good against both Landorus EX and Seismitoad. Any card that hits for little damage is going to help power up outrage

Back