Ruling Bent Spoon Clarification

TreeckoGirl

Aspiring Trainer
Apologies if this has been asked already, I couldn't find an answer when I searched.

Bent Spoon (FCO) states that it stops "all effects of attacks, except damage done to the Pokemon this card is attached to." As I understand it, TrevenantBREAK's (BRP) Silent Fear attack would be stopped by this tool because it is placing damage counters (an effect of an attack) rather than doing damage. In the same way, any attack which specifically places damage counters (e.g. Gengar EX, Bats) would also be blocked. However, I've seen pretty divided opinion on whether this is actually true or not online. So does Bent Spoon stop damage counters being placed?

I assume that Bent Spoon would not stop GlaceonEX's (FCO) Crystal Ray attack from blocking damage by Evolved Pokemon on the next turn as this is an effect upon the attacker rather than the defender who has the spoon attached?
http://www.google.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/d070b7a77e80feadcb7c2008fbf361c3/0/9/093_12.jpg
1088238.jpg
glaceon%2020.jpg

You are correct on all of those :) Note that Silent Fear could still place counters on other Pokemon that don't have a Bent Spoon attached.

So does Bent Spoon stop damage counters being placed?

Yes. Placing damage counters is an effect, which Bent Spoon specifically blocks.

I assume that Bent Spoon would not stop GlaceonEX's (FCO) Crystal Ray attack from blocking damage by Evolved Pokemon on the next turn as this is an effect upon the attacker rather than the defender who has the spoon attached?

Also correct. Crystal Ray's effect resides on Glaceon-EX, and doesn't affect the defender outside of the attack's base damage. There is nothing in that attack for Bent Spoon to prevent.

It would also likewise not block extra damage from Second Bite; that effect is part of the damage calculation step and not considered an "effect of an attack."

You are correct on all of those :) Note that Silent Fear could still place counters on
other Pokemon that don't have a Bent Spoon attached.

If I am playing against Mewtwo Ex and it uses damage change, what's the ruling on that? Does bent spoon nullify the attack from Mewtwo?

Bent Spoon will stop Mewtwo-EX's damage counters from being placed on your Pokemon, and if your Pokemon has any damage on it, that would also stay where it is. Mewtwo-EX's Damage Change attack would allow it to heal itself, but that damage would simply get discarded

Back