Collecting Beginning Collector's resources

camohunter19

Aspiring Trainer
I want to start collecting (probably just sets, nothing too fancy) And I just have a few questions.

How do you store your cards? How much does it cost to store your cards?

What are good sets to start collecting (XY-on)? Is it worth buying a booster box to start your collection? Should I focus on one set at a time, or should I broaden my focus?

What is the best way to track my collection? What should I do with all the commons I pull?

Personally, I store my cards in a combination of sleeves, toploaders, and binders. I keep a set of all C/U/R in a binder (with duplicate Rs stored in the back for protection purposes), and RR/SR/UR cards in sleeves and toploaders. Duplicate U/C cards are stored in storage boxes or tins. It's not particular expensive, but I'm not really a big-time collector or anything.

If you're looking to collect complete sets, buying 1 booster box and filling out the rest with singles/trading is probably your best bet. For English, anyway; if you're going Japanese, I'd suggest 2-3 booster boxes because the boxes are smaller and the pull rates are better. The biggest problem with English booster boxes is that they're so swingy in terms of pulls, so you might end up with a large amount of EX/FA cards... or you might not. But getting one box will at least give you a full C/U/non-holo R set and some wiggle room for everything. The more boxes you buy, the more you'll be gambling on good pulls for those EX/FA cards, so it's up to you if you would want to be that risky about it.

Picking a set is more or less a personal choice if you're planning to collect and not play. Older sets (such as the beginning of the XY block) are already going out of print, so if you're planning on buying a box it might be a good idea to snag those before they go up in price much. Otherwise, I would pick whichever sets interest you the most.

If you don't plan on keeping your dupe C/U cards, you can probably sell/trade them as bulk to people or resellers who do want bulk. There are a few traders on PB who accept bulk cards for trade, which might be a good way to get some cards that you're missing.

If you'd like a checklist to keep track of your collection, I'd suggest checking out this thread, which may have some useful resources for you.

Good luck and have fun! :)

I want to start collecting (probably just sets, nothing too fancy) And I just have a few questions.

How do you store your cards? How much does it cost to store your cards?

What are good sets to start collecting (XY-on)? Is it worth buying a booster box to start your collection? Should I focus on one set at a time, or should I broaden my focus?

What is the best way to track my collection? What should I do with all the commons I pull?

I use perfect fit sleeves, Hyper mat sleeves, top loaders, and decktutor binders. (I spend a bit more on protecting my cards, I'm primarily a collector)

Sometimes it's a good idea to avoid buying packs and just buy singles. If you get on trollandtoad.com, you can get a full set of Common/Uncommon/Rare reverse holos for a decent price. Most sell for .25-.35(some more expensive) and even holo rares can be around .49
I put together a full reverse set of Generations(minus Ultra Rares) for around 20 bucks. Much less than a booster box and then you can use the extra money to find the EXs you need to fill out the set. Not as fun as opening lots of packs but I learned my lesson when I played the pokemon pack lottery and lost, many times. Keep in mind, trollandtoad will not sleeve your cards unless you email or call and specify which order you would like sleeved. You can expect near-mint from them, if you're looking to get a card graded, buy elsewhere.

Japanese cards, definitely agree you should buy 2-3 booster boxes. I finished the entire the Awakening psychic kings set with 3 boxes and I had leftovers worth trading.

:) hope this helps you

Back