• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Beedrill + Beedrill EX

JeroenM

Aspiring Trainer
When I first looked at the new evolution set, the beedrill card looked really interesting for me.. So I thought I try to make something with it. What do you think? I played a few games with it. It's not consistent yet, but maybe someone has an idea? Btw, I play without Shaymin.

Pokémon: 19
  • 4 Weedle - DCR
  • 4 Kakuna - EVO
  • 4 Beedrill - EVO
  • 3 Beedrill EX - Promo
  • 2 Spinarak - AOR
  • 2 Ariados - AOR
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 35
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 1 Skyla
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 1 Fisherman
  • 1 Karen
  • 4 VS seeker
  • 2 Proffesor's Letter
  • 2 Switch
  • 4 Level Ball
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Evo Soda
  • 3 Trainers Mail
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 3 Forest Of The Gaint Plants
Energy: 6
  • 6 Grass Energy
Strategy:

Okay,the idea of the deck is to get as many as possible beedrill out there (40 damage for each beedrill in play with 2 energy's) That's why there are 4/4 level/ultra ball and 2 evosoda. If possible it's the best to get Beedrill EX out as first, so it can take the first shots and attack. It's quite handy to discard soms tool cards (first attack) when you play against a Mega deck.

Beedrill has a free retraet, to get Beedrill ex back you can use the 2 Switch cards. Evolving the beedrill goes quite fast because all the ways to get the pokemon and Forest Of The Gaint Plants.

Even better is that Beedrill can choose who to attack. That's why there are 2 lysandres. You can get a 'safe' pokemon to the front, and attack/K.O another on the bench, pretty cool, no?

Why the ariados? Well mostly you wil get 3 beedrill on the bench and one in the front = 160 damage. So if the opponent is poisend its 170 (enough to KO the most EX pokemon.

I think the biggest issue with beedrill atm. is its 2 energy costs. the deck needs something to accelerate energy to be consistent.

It seems that Beedrill-EX doesn't count as a Beedril for Beedrill's (evolution) attack..

I don't really get why not.. But okay :D

It seems that Beedrill-EX doesn't count as a Beedril for Beedrill's (evolution) attack..

I don't really get why not.. But okay :D
Simple Beedrill EX is named Beedrill EX not Beedrill since you can only play 4 cards named Beedrill, Beedrill's attack can only do 160

If you aren't playing shaymin I would play 4 Sycamore and 3 N, perhaps an Ace trainer as well to help with the card flow. Exp Share would help out a lot with the energy problem, (it allows you to take a basic energy from a knocked out pokemon to your exp share pokemon) and revitalizer is amazing in this deck, (allows you to choose 2 grass pokemon in your discard and put them in your hand) so you ultra ball a kakuna and beedrill away to get weedle then revitalizer them back and evolve. Perhaps use float stone instead of switch for your beedrill ex because switch only works once while float lasts until its knocked out (by the way beedrill ex doesn't count as another beedrill, im sure you realised this). I'm not sure about the Ariados line too, just seems clunky. Also fisherman seems weird in this deck. Just play Brock's Grit, its like a double super rod. Just some things to think about! Good luck!

This Beedrill does seem pretty fun, and I wouldn't mind running it myself, hence I have a couple of ideas for it which I'll share now:

1. Shaymin EX: Firstly, I'll be that guy: SHAYMIN EX WILL MAKE YOUR DECK GREAT, AND WHO CARES ABOUT HAVING MONEY ANYWAY?! It really will though, and with stuff like Vespiquen / Vileplume, it was that card I suspect which made it possible to consistently pull off the first turn Stage 2. Although I totally understand your choice to not spend a stupid amount of money on one card, so feel free to just ignore this point.

2. Name: As mentioned above, Beedrill EX doesn't count towards the damage because it isn't called exactly "Beedrill" as mentioned above, which sucks. For this reason, I'd probably just take it out altogether, because it's not really offering anything special. Similarly though, I'd maybe opt for one Beedrill from Primal Clash because that Allergic Shock attack is hilarious, and it would still count towards the damage.

3. Evolving: I see the running of this deck being very similar to Reuniclus from Fates Collide, with the focus being on quick evolution (there's a swarm pun in there somewhere), with the added bonus of Forest of Giant Plants. For this reason, Wally is useless, although Evosoda and Rare Candy are probably decent choices.

4. Energy: Also as mentioned above, the two energy requirement is a bit of a pain here, although realisitically I don't see it being possible to really get going in the first turn so maybe just attaching and waiting until the next turn wouldn't be that awful, but the only clear solution is the Max Elixir engine, which is just going to clog up on space.

5. Other Pokémon: Ariados is a decent inclusion to boost the damage, but perhaps it would be cool to pop in some Vespiquen for hitting big numbers in the late games, when the discard is full of swatted bugs? The drawback here is again the need to include Double Colourless Energy, but whatever.

6. Super Important Cards: As with Reuniclus, and the recently hyped Gyarados, Teammates is invaluable in this deck, because it can let you grab those two essential cards required to mount a comeback. Similarly, Puzzle of Time and Town Map can provide swift access to what you need, with the latter helping you know just how bad a position you're in, if some of those vital evolution pieces are out of reach. Revitalizer is also a card I would 100% include, for the same sort of reasons.

Overall, I see this deck being hard work to play, but a massive bunch of fun when it works, which is surely the point anyway? I've popped a quick 60 card list below as well, which will probably be what I go for when I have all the cards I need. Let me know what you think of my thoughts, and hopefully they helped.

Pokémon [18]

4 Weedle (PRC)
4 Kakuna (PRC)
3 Beedrill (EVO)
1 Beedrill (PRC)
2 Spinarak (AOR)
2 Ariados (AOR)
2 Shaymin EX (ROS)

Trainers [45]

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Level Ball
2 Rare Candy
4 Trainers' Mail
2 Revitalizer
1 Super Rod
4 Puzzle of Time
1 Town Map

2 Exp. Share
2 Float Stone

3 Professor Sycamore
3 N
1 Skyla
2 Teammates
1 Lysandre
2 Brigette

3 Forest of Giant Plants

Energy [8]

8 Grass Energy

Yeah, so this list has 71 cards... but it's a start, right? I also realised whilst making the list that Brigette is a super great for this deck, as you can whip out all your Weedles in one go. But yeah, hopefully this helps at least a little bit, despite not being any obvious help at all!

Last edited:
Vespiquen is an interesting idea, with exp share it might be a little easier to power up without DCE. Also I think the PRC weedle would be better because it has 10 more hp and can search for another weedle if it ever gets stuck in the active. Maybe run 4 Forests of giant plants too just becuase of how important it is to make the deck work

Nice idea! But because of the name issue, Beedrill is much less fun.

In your list you added 2 Float stone? Why? Beedrill has free retreat. I would use switch to get a shaymin or ariados back to the bench.

I like the Vespiqueen idea, but Karen and Brock are making it less interesting.
Vileplume could make it interessting.. But then there is the problem that we use so many items in this deck...

In your list you added 2 Float stone? Why? Beedrill has free retreat. I would use switch to get a shaymin or ariados back to the bench.

I just felt that Float Stone offers the same as Switch, but is always there instead of being usable just once. So with a lack of tool removal, you could just pop it on your Ariados / Shaymin EX and leave it there, so your opponent wouldn't be inclined to Lysandre it out for the purpose of stalling. But that's just a matter of personal preference really!

I like the Vespiquen idea, but Karen and Brock are making it less interesting. Vileplume could make it interesting... But then there is the problem that we use so many items in this deck...

I suppose if you were to opt to run Karen or Brock yourself in order to recycle Beedrill pieces, then Vespiquen would be counter-intuative, although my idea with Vespiquen was for it to be a surprise late game attacker, so ideally your opponent wouldn't predict it and Karen you to oblivion. Paired with the DCE problem, maybe it's not so smart after all... I'd definitely go against including Vileplume, because you're just making the difficult task of setting up multiple Beedrills even harder!

I tied vespiquen - beedrill to some degree but still found it inconsistent, since you need beedrills to die to power vespiquen. having a prized beedrill line is a huge loss of damage. I often see people going for the yanmega break line as an alternate / more consistent but still inconsistent attacker

I tried out a 2-2 Vespiquen line in my Turbo Beedrill deck and found it to be marginally useful. I found myself using Intelligence gathering much more than I thought I would. And it actually did help out on a few occasions where I managed to play down most/all of my hand and still have a new hand for next turn without needing to rely on a top deck. For those who like more details here are the notes I jotted while keeping track of Vespiquen's contributions in the 10 matches I tested with it.

VS. DarkTinaGarb - Win - Vespiquen was not used
VS. M Alakazam - Win - Vespiquen was not used
VS. Greninja - Loss - Vespiquen was not used
VS. DarkTinaGarb - Win - Bee Revenge was used for final KO @ 120 damage
VS. M Mewtwo - Loss - Intelligence Gathering was used
VS. Greninja - Loss - Bee Revenge was used twice; for 80 (160 w/ weakness) and 110(220 w/ weakness)
VS. Delphox - Win - Intelligence Gathering was used
VS. M Venusaur - Loss - Vespiquen was not used
VS. Yveltal/Zoroark - Win - Intelligence Gathering was used; Bee Revenge was used for 70
VS. Dark w/Hypno - Win - Vespiquen was not used

Overall its hard to say whether or not I preferred running the deck with Vespiquen. It's certainly a strong late game option once your Beedrills start going down and you've run out of revitalizers but if you don't have any Exp Share remaining at that point its hard to get the second energy onto Vespiquen in time to shift the momentum. Vespiquen's real value came in the form of Intelligence Gathering which noticeably boosted the consistency of my set up. I didn't keep track of this but it also protected my other Bees from getting KO'd while just giving up 1 prize allowing me to keep the 3rd or 4th Weedle in play without needing it to be fodder. Since the biggest issue I had with adding a secondary attacker was the cost of reducing consistency cards, Vespiquen's Intelligence gathering does counteract that a bit. Which is why i prefer it over Yanmega who is also weak to Garbodor.

I have a similar deck, however may I suggest that you ad 2/4 kricketot from xy breakpoint. He has an attack that takes 1 grass energy called Bug Hunch. It says. "Search your deck for up to 3 grass type pokemon and put them into your hand, shuffle your deck afterward." I get one whole line out every turn for beedrill. I would also add 4 Max Elixir, before you evolve weedle you can use them to get him stacked faster. I would add 1 Mega beedrill ex and his spirit link for free retreat and you could poison and paralyze then free retreat next turn and knock out with reg beedrill. Lastly add 4 klefki to stall mega ex decks. My deck works like a charm against everything even faster decks like yanmega and vespiquen decks.
Recap
Add:
2 Kricketot XYBP
1 M Beedrill EX Promo
1 Bedrill spirit link
4 Max Elixirs
4 Klefki SS

On what to take out I would say
-2Aridos
-2Spinarak
-1 Beedrill Ex Promo
-2 N
-2 Switch
-1 Super rod
-1 Forest of giant plants
-1 Lysandre

Maybe swap some of the things I listed to take out, but either way it is a solid deck.

But i still don't get/like the part that Beedrill EX doesn't count as a Beedrill..

Carbink's ability block's EX attacks, there is nothing about a Mega EX... But it also block's the attacks of it..

So there is no differint between a normal EX and a Mega EX? But there is a different between a normal Beedrill and a Beedrill EX??

Or am i really the only one finding this confusing?

But i still don't get/like the part that Beedrill EX doesn't count as a Beedrill..

Carbink's ability block's EX attacks, there is nothing about a Mega EX... But it also block's the attacks of it..

So there is no differint between a normal EX and a Mega EX? But there is a different between a normal Beedrill and a Beedrill EX??

Okay dude. trust me on this. They have different names like how m beedrill says it only evolves from Beedrill-EX. it doesn't say it evolves from beedrill. beedrills attack only says beedrill. Want more evidence then look at the xerneas and yveltal from the battle decks a while ago. they specified that they are two different cards.

Mega EX is an EX because it has EX in the name.

Charizard EX is an EX. M Charizard EX is an EX because it's in the name.

Beedrill EX has a different name than Beedrill. This is why you can't use a M Beedrill EX on a regular Beedrill, because M Beedrill EX evolves from Beedrill EX.

Yeah I believe you and I know it's because the name difference.. But I don't see the logic behind it..

Because yes M Charizard EX is still a Charizard EX because EX is in the name.. But i can also see Beedrill in the name of Beedrill EX.. So that's the part where i doesn't get the ruling.. Why keep the EX part but don't keep the normal part? Because it evolves? Doesn't seem logic to me..

Yeah I believe you and I know it's because the name difference.. But I don't see the logic behind it..

Because yes M Charizard EX is still a Charizard EX because EX is in the name.. But i can also see Beedrill in the name of Beedrill EX.. So that's the part where i doesn't get the ruling.. Why keep the EX part but don't keep the normal part? Because it evolves? Doesn't seem logic to me..
Beedrill is in the name, but the cards name is beedrill EX. Beedrill EX is the name and and beedrill is the name of the one from evolutions. The attack asks for beedrill. not for pokemon with beedrill in the name

Back