• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Beast Wars!! (Naganadel/Buzzwole)

Expert_Occultist

Magic card player
The Deck
Mons
x 1 Oranguru (Instruct)
x1 Buzzwole (Sledgehammer)
x2 Buzzwole GX
x1 Dawn Wings Necrozma
x4 Poipole
x3 Naganadel GX

Trainers
x1 Field Blower
x 3Max Elixir
x2 Nest Ball
x1 Pal Pad
x1 Rescue Stretcher
x3 Ultra Ball
x2 Ultra Space
x1 Parallel City
x2 Acerola
x4 Cynthia
x3 Guzma
x2 N
x4 Professor Sycamore
x3 Choice Band
x3 Float Stone

Energy
x1 Beast Energy
x3 Strong Energy
x9 Fighting Energy

I don't usually play standard but since I like Naganadel as a Pokemon I thought I'd give it a spin there since I don't think he's expanded material. Turns out this deck is pretty fun as an aggressive and efficient deck.

Naganadel has one good attack worth supporting but needs Ultra Beasts to use it for it's 2hko potential and being able to one-shot opposing Buzzwoles. Buzzwole GX was chosen as a partner because of his bulk, matchup against dark types, and his ability to go tall with his more expensive attacks. Baby Buzzwole provides a one prize attacker, a Hoopa counter, and a high power, one energy attacker. He's easy to turn on, just bring him out when your GX dies. Oranguru was chosen as a bench warmer since our relatively high item count gives him lots of opportunities to use Instruct. No Lele because we don't want too many non-ultra beasts clogging our bench.

Supporter line up is pretty standard with 2 Acerola to help deny prizes since Naganadel can be pretty bulky. Our attackers are easy to recover as well since they only require one energy. No Briggete since I find it's more efficient to just draw my mons while also drawing other things. Briggete is also dead late game when I want more control options. Parallel City over Ultra Space since opposing Parallel Cities really hurt and we can prevent them by landing ours first. I've also noticed many other standard decks get really hurt by Parallel City by denying them important bench warmers like Malamar and Zoroark GX but that's probably not new information to anyone.

The high basic energy count is for Max Elixir to be as live as possible. Strong Energy would give Buzzwole a much appreciated boost but at the cost of Max Elixir and the ease of being able to attach any energy to Naganadel. It's something to keep in might though.

This deck has game against other Buzzwole decks and Zoroark but struggles with opposing psychic decks since all my mons are weak to it. Dawn Wings Necrozma is a big problem since it's usually run along side Malamar for easy set up. Ultra Necrozma is a pain but Dawn Wings can keep firing off attacks with no charge up time to one-shot our guys. Overall it's a fun, aggressive deck. It has a few weakness but enough good matchups and counterplay to be competitive. The numbers feel correct so I hope you have as much fun as I have with it :)

Last edited:
If you're playing a deck with a lot of Ultra Beasts, I would definitely have a copy of Ultra Space. Nest Balls are great for getting your Poipoles and you can Ultra Space for Naganadel to set up next turn (or search for any other Ultra Beast). I would also recommend Beast Ring for energy acceleration. Yes, it's a situational card, but it's great for mid game set up and sets up faster than Max Elixir.

I wouldn't use Strong Energy in this deck because it can only be used for Buzz and you can't attach it to him with Max Elixir (only for basic energy)

My recommendation would be to drop a Parallel City for an Ultra Space, not sure where to fit in the Beast Rings but I would run 3-4 (I run 3 in my BuzzRoc deck)

Hope this helped! :)

Ultra Space is a great card and worth a slot for sure. I'll put one in.

I'm not impressed with Beast Ring here. It does nothing to help you set up. My mons only need one energy to attack so setting up is not an issue. 2 energy is mostly overkill as well. In the end it feels like you're running 3-4 cards you don't want to draw early or late and gums up your hand for most of the game. I can see running them in beast builds that need more energies but they don't feel like they do anything here.

I think you should be running at least 3 Ultra Space. Being able to consistency grab Ultra Beasts is key. I think a 3-1 Ultra Space/Parallel City split is good. I don't think the second Oranguru is really needed. Overall, I think it looks good!

Yup, read the last line in the second paragraph. Totally not a budget concession :p

I've made a small edit to the OP decklist with Ultra Space included. I'm testing 3 Strong Energy and they seem fine. Again, with the one energy requirements it's easy enough to find a basic energy to attach to Naganadel.

Last edited:
Yup, read the last line in the second paragraph. Totally not a budget concession :p

I've made a small edit to the OP decklist with Ultra Space included. I'm testing 3 Strong Energy and they seem fine. Again, with the one energy requirements it's easy enough to find a basic energy to attach to Naganadel.

Is it still viable without Lele?

So...you play an Ultra Beast deck made to set up... and no Beast Ring? 3 Buzzwole-GX is key to starting it, having an extra Beast to put on the bench, and having another Buzzwole to set up and start taking knockouts. Other than Beast Ring and 3rd Buzzy, there's not much I have to say. I would consider dropping Oranguru for Lele, because you can get out of terrible situations and essentially Ultra Ball for a supporter. The flaw with the Oranguru is that if you're drawing cards you don't want to play or are useless in the situation, i.e Guzma, stadium, a Pokemon when your bench is full, or more Energy than you want, you can't Instruct for more cards.

Back