Beartic and the ultimate amnesia

Steelix and Scizor are sadly but realistically null next format thanks to the overuse of Reshiboar. The fact of the matter is, it's way too easy to get around, and too hard to set up. Again Gliscor X was easier to set up, and was a lot harder to get around because it stopped retreating too. Did that get played? Yes, but never as a top tier deck only as a rouge, and Beartic will become exactly that. A rouge.

Obviously Steelix and Scizor won't be played at top teir tournaments, but Beartic is coming out at BRs so obviously people will be playing stuff like that. Gliscor Xs problem, which is the same as with Beartic is that they can attack with the next pokemon after Beartic or Gliscor Kos the active

varit said:
switch and ssu make's decent counter's but...

A water pokemon that can decimate reshiram and zekrom

Flare blast and a plus power.
Most Beartic decks will have vileplume so no pluspower. However if they do I found that Zoroark is a beautiful tech against Beartic. 2 energies to copy their sheer cold and make it so they have to retreat for all their energy or die next turn and then they still cant get the revenge ko using another beartic.

Question: Steelix's Poke-body doesn't stop Beartic's effect does it? If Beartic gets the first hit on Steelix, Steelix can't attack?

i believe that steelix only blocks special conditions like sleep, poison, burn and all that while beartics attack is an effect not a special condition...something like agility would block beartic

While Beartic has his place in the meta I don't believe he's as broken as people believe. Firstly, Yanmega matchup is going to be a pain because of its free retreat. Judging by what people are suggesting Beartic should be played with, LostGar is going to have a field day. However, ZPS, Emboar and Donphan will suffer tremendously against Beartic. So I view Beartic as being part of the meta rather than a dominating card like Garchomp was last format.

^I agree to an extent, although I would like to point out that with Pokémon Catcher (or even Reversal), having a main attacker with low retreat doesn't matter as much, as most meta decks do have stuff that's benched that have high retreat (eg Emboar).

Emboar can retreat at will thanks to the ability, and can get it back thanks to fisherman >.> This guy is way to easy to play around, and no offense, but I can bet you guys all of my money that this guy won't be top, or even part of the meta. Just a rouge.

^ -_- right because i would love to waist my fisherman on a retreat...

all you have to do is catcher something up with a 3-4 retreat and its easy to win from there...

and yanmega/jupluff/*insert low retreat here* will obviously get around this...-_-

Yup, because one Fisherman isn't a waste in Reshiboar. It doesn't matter if you lose 4 energies or not, because of the massive energy retrieval system. It's not easy to win from there. Reshi can come up and revenge kill you and repeatedly do that, even if you do catcher. You can't catcher if you have your own vileplume out either. The fact is Reshiram can kill your Beartics, before they setup! Reshiram only takes one turn to fully charge up, while Beartic takes a minimum of two.

actually...beartic can stop reshiram in its tracks also. sure it can OHKO but i can just have another on my bench :p DCE and 2 water and its over

no it can't >.> I can OHKO, and then you attack, then I retreat for 2, then I OHKO again, and if yo uhappen to have another, I retreat for two and OHKO again! That leaves you in no position for coming back even if you do have the LAST dce in your hand, when it's usually hard to get even one.

Beartic/Vileplume is going to be a MAJOR part of the format next season. I have personally tested with a Bearplume variant, and I have hardly lost to Reshiboar, Donchamp and ZPS. It's all about getting the plume on the field ASAP. Don't underestimate the power of an early trainer-lock in a format where communication, energy retrieval and catcher will be essential to pretty much any deck. Blocking the option of switch is also a nice addition.

The way I see it, the only threats to this massive deck include swarmers like Pluff and Yanmega with free retreat, and the annoying tech of a 1-1 Dodrio UD. The latter being dangerous especially in a Scizor-deck, seeing as you would be able to retreat out of the lock easily, and OHKO an opposing Beartic for 2 energy. The way I see it, the success of Scizor is based on the success of Bearplume which again is based on the success of Reshiboar.

hipoke said:
no it can't >.> I can OHKO, and then you attack, then I retreat for 2, then I OHKO again, and if yo uhappen to have another, I retreat for two and OHKO again! That leaves you in no position for coming back even if you do have the LAST dce in your hand, when it's usually hard to get even one.

>.< i thought reshiram and zekrom had 3 retreat lol. its still a paina nd waist of energy...imagine doing that every turn UHG

^also that is a good idea. make them think you are running scizor then BOOM hit them with a water when they send up there fire pokes...

I'm sure there are ways to boost the retreat cost for the defending pokemon or prevent them from retreating...it just isn't out yet...best believe Vileplume is going to work well with beartic....i'll even go as far as placing him in a disruption deck where i remove cards to help u out from ur hand....

what are you thinking joai? weavile? i was thinking of playing it with slowking to control whats coming up

exactly my point...just an idea...you could even use ursaring to help discard their top card since you can see it with slowking....

So, before seeing this thread I was trying to make a deck with Krookodile. It has a similar first attack, but a much better secondary attack and better energy costs. So, I decided to compare them:

65-krookodile.jpg

Beartric VS Krookodile

K - 10 higher HP
B - Stage 1
K - Stage 1 can use Torment as well
K&B - Weakness is good for the format (Krookodile kills Blastoise)
K - Resistance against {L}
B - Sheer Cold does 20 more damage
K - Torment cost {W} less
B - Sheer Cold inhibits ALL attacks
K - Better secondary attack
K&B - {F} & {W} are good in the format

My arguments are the following:

- Beartric might be stage one, but it can't be Rare-Candy-ied, unlike Krookodile; plus Krokorok can use Torment as well (for only {C})
- Torment only does 30 compared to 50, but I can follow that with a KO-ing 100 damage; and it cost {W} less to play which I can pay for with a {C}{C}
- And, finally, Sheer Cold blocks all attacks, but with the current meta-game I would only need to inhibit one attack until I either get a KO, or until my opponent could do anything else. Especially since most Pokemon only have one good attack

So now I still don't know which one to choose. I can clearly see why Beartric is better in some ways, but Krookodile makes up for what it lacks. What do you guys think?

Back