• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Base Set: Rain Dance (Blastoise / Articuno)

KairosDialga

Aspiring Trainer
Well, let me start off with one small thing, this deck is all old cards (like..very old) I stopped playing around when the FireRed and LeafGreen sets came out (Mainly because the place doing the local tourneys and leagues closed up) and just recently found out there was a new pokemon league around here that got me back into it.

But due to how much stronger many of the new cards are, and a ruling change to one of them that basically makes this deck illegal to use in the league, I need a little bit of assistance in trying to figure out what newer cards to get to get this baby back up and running.

Pokemon:
  • 4 Squirtle (Base Set)
  • 1 Wartortle (Base Set)
  • 4 Blastoise (Base Set)
  • 3 Lapras (Fossil)
  • 4 Articuno (Fossil)
Trainer: 22
  • 4 Bill
  • 3 Computer Search
  • 3 Gust of Wind
  • 3 Item Finder
  • 3 Pokemon Breeder
  • 4 Professor Oak
  • 2 Super Energy Removal
Energy: 22
  • 22 Water Energy
Strategy:

This is very much the classic-styled Rain Dance/ Turbo Blastoise deck. Search through your deck using every card at your disposal in order to try and get Blastoise out at turn 2, and use Rain Dance to power him up and Articuno to win before the opponent gets their pokemon powered up. I actually want to keep Blastoise to be the only evolution and have my other main attacker to be a basic pokemon. When I tried to run the variant using Gyarados/Dewgong, it seemed to not work as well for me due to needing to get one more pokemon evolved (and so often people would Gust of Wind up my Magikarps for a quick KO before I was allowed to evolve them), So Articuno became far more preferred for me.

Lapras is essentially my 'starting wall' since he wouldn't be as easily knocked out on the first turn, Articuno works as a replacement just for the sake of it's HP if you do not draw Lapras in your starting hand. All of the trainers (namely Bill, Computer Search, and Prof Oak.) all help you cycle through the deck to get Blastoise out right awat. Super Energy Removal is to keep them from powering up a heavy hitter and Gust of Wind is to help with easy KOs on the weaker, unevolved pokemon.

I am aware that Computer Search is now limited to just one per deck. Sadly this was not the case back when I did main this deck and thus I do need assistance in trying to find what trainer cards to replace the extra ones that there are. Also I heard Bill had a Ruling change in which it is now considered as a supporter? So are there other cards in this that received a ruling change in recent times that would affect the speed of this deck?

Articuno and Lapras can be replaced with any basic water pokemon that can fit their role. Sadly I have gone out of touch with the game a bit so I am not certain as to which newer cards there are that can fill their role effectively. (Same with Blastoise, but I don't know if they made one with the same/similar pokemon power that is the absolute key to this deck)

And as the topic title states, this is unlimited format, so any cards from all sets can be used. But cards that have received a reprint has to use the ruling change reflected the reprinted version.

Back