Help Base Set Cards in Standard

Haarry

Aspiring Trainer
So we all know that evolutions was a reprint of the base set(s) of pokemon cards, and I was just wondering if that meant you could use the base set cards in standard play. I wasn't gonna do it, I was just wondering because I know you can use older trainers.

So long as the card is printed with the exact same Pokémon name, health, attack names, attack damage, attack subtext, weakness, resistance, retreat cost etc. you can use the older versions of the Pokémon.

So long as the card is printed with the exact same Pokémon name, health, attack names, attack damage, attack subtext, weakness, resistance, retreat cost etc. you can use the older versions of the Pokémon.
WHat if there was different wording, like flip 2 coins and flip a coin twice (idk if that exists but just wondering)

There is a rule around about cards that have major text changes can't be used. Also some cards can't be used due to being a different
WHat if there was different wording, like flip 2 coins and flip a coin twice (idk if that exists but just wondering)

There is a rule for major text changes that would apply but this gets complex with Pokemon. There are two Garbodor with Garbotoxin but one is Expanded and the other Standard. Both have the same stats but a different attack. Pokemon tend to have to be a exact 1:1 carbon copy to be played, like the many Reshiram cards that exist. If something is different, it's a different card.

Where it get complicated is rules exist that you use the most recent printing of that card, for things like Trainers and Energy. However, cards like Bill, which exist in Unlimited is now a Supporter card while a card like Pokemon Center isn't a Stadium despite it's most recent printing being a Stadium card - the same being true for Darkness Energy from RS and it's most recent printing. Trainers are normally okay to use since most keep their effects.

Very minor changes to text mean you can use the old verions still, but remember that the term "Item" didn't show up on cards (at least with its current meaning) until Black & White released. Prior to that, they were simply "normal Trainers", and that is just how the players referred to them; card effects would just say "Trainers" or "Trainers other than Stadium and Supporter cards", or something to that effect. Another exception stems from errata; even if a card has incorrect text, sometimes the older version is okay because that older version had an official announcement stating to treat its old text like the new text.

Poke around here when you have time, and you might be able to find more coherent guidelines.

Cards that are no longer in format which have received only text changes and/ or minor errata may be used in sanctioned play. The Pokemon from Evolutions have altered and / or completely different attacks and Abilities from their Base Set counterparts, despite using the same artwork, and are considered separate cards. Of the "classic" generation cards, the only Pokemon that can be legally played is the Slowpoke from Fossil, because it was reprinted, artwork attacks and all in the Generations set. A handful of Trainer cards, such as Switch and Potion are functionally unchanged from their original versions (Potion received a minor errata and now heals 30 damage instead of 20, but the Base Set card can still be used) have been reprinted recently, and you can use the Base Set version of those if you wish. Double Colorless Energy and Basic Energy from Base Set may also be used.

Note that Potion can only be used because it got an official, not-just-on-a-printed-card, errata. A card like Energy Retrieval or Full Heal that has functional differences from their current prints CAN'T be used otherwise. (Incidentally, VERY few cards have errata like this. The only Standard-legal cards that have had this treatment are Potion, Rare Candy, Pokemon Catcher and Great Ball.) (There's a PDF on Erratas in the link Otaku provided that lists these, and a few text fixes to cards as well.)

http://pokegym.net/forums/view.php?pg=stdformat is a pretty good list of the older cards that are currently Standard-legal. They'll occasionally miss things or be slow to update it, though. (For instance, Base Set Caterpie and Weedle are Standard-legal. Unlike most of the Evolutions cards, these two were direct reprints, with everything from their HP to their attacks to their Retreat Costs the same. The Evolutions Surfing Pikachu, likewise, is also Standard-legal. Note that while Flying Pikachu and Electabuzz are almost identical to their original counterparts, their different resistances to the originals make them different cards, and thus the older ones are NOT Standard-legal.)

I should also point out that the Slowpoke that My Little Keldeo mentioned above ISN'T actually Standard-legal. The fact it can only get back Item cards is a functional difference, since Fossil Slowpoke can also get back Supporters and Stadiums due to them not being a separate class to Items at its time of printing.

I'll mention this since nobody else has explicitly stated it, but the ART doesn't have to remain the same. (Indeed, this is where most of the Pokemon reprints come from, alternate art versions of older cards.) Should be fairly obvious anyway, but probably worth mentioning all the same. ;p

Back