Attack on Titan

darkanine87

Aspiring Trainer
Sie sind das Essen und wir sind die Jäger!

This thread is for discussing the anime, manga, tribute game, whatever!

Beware-Spoilers! Anyone who does not want major events to be spoiled beware!

RE: Attack on Titan thread!

Good timing! I actually just finished watching the anime and reading up-to-date on the manga. :)

I started off watching the anime because it seemed like everyone and their mother was talking about how great it was. To be honest, I actually wasn't overly impressed with the anime; it was very cool to watch and I loved the setting and the world, but the complete lack of an ending left me incredibly disappointed. And so, I ended up reading the manga which I found to be much better, not only because it actually continued telling the story (and it really seems like the anime stops just when things start getting good!), but also because I felt it was better paced, and it didn't keep shoving things into your face.

Overall, I'd like to consider myself a fan, and I would definitely recommend it... but more likely to recommend the manga over the anime, since you'd have to start reading the manga to get the full story anyway.

I don't like some of the stuff that the anime does different to the manga either. Important character developments like Eren turning into a titan almost straight away in the manga when running from Annie yet the anime draws it out. Adaptations that would change things just to benefit a cleaner storyboard annoy me. Been reading the manga from episode 8 or so and it's far better.

This being said I can't wait for the Bertolt and Reiner reveal and fight.

Also yeah. Eren is literally the worst person to get all these titan powers.

The official English translation/release must be behind then, since that's already happened in the Japanese. :p

If you ask me, the anime stretched events like the 57th expedition WAY too much. That arc lasted like eight freaking episodes!

I usually don't tend to read the manga if I decide to watch the anime and vice-versa. I started watching AOT after the first season was finished and considered it to be one of my top 5 anime. The battle scenes and overall animation continued to keep me hooked every episode, and the overall story in season 1 progressed at a relatively decent pace.

Definitely looking forward to season 2, which will probably be out sometime next year. =P

Hate to disappoint you IA, but as far as has been announced, there aren't any current plans to continue with the TV show. There are currently 2 AoT compilation movies in the works; the first movie will release November of this year and will tell the story of the first 13 episodes of the anime, and the second movie is slated for a "2015" release and will tell the rest of the story that appears in the anime. More info about the movies can be found in the ANN article.

Well, many websites have stated that a release date for season 2 will be announced sometime this month. I would expect that the studio would definitely continue, considering the series has been a success throughout many countries and would leave fans wanting more, especially since they failed to wrap up many loose ends in season 1.

I hope there's a season two! I watched the series within like three days. Afterward, I went back to read the manga :p Even though I haven't read since the beginning of the year, I always get that eerie chill down my spine as I wonder if any good characters die.

I like the anime more than the manga because the manga has almost indistinguishable characters. Armin and Historia look almost identical, and my friends laugh when I mistake one for the other :p In the show, I feel like there's more effort to bring out the qualities of people. The manga is still great, but the anime seems more clear and isn't so hard to look at. I do agree that the manga does deliver the full story, though.

If you're reading this and are wondering if AoT is worth it, let me just say this: I've never watched any anime more than random episodes of Naruto as a kid, but I still recommend this more than any show on regular TV.

Athena said:
To be honest, I actually wasn't overly impressed with the anime
That's pretty much how I felt about it. The awful pacing and boring characters really dragged down what would've otherwise been a great show. I've heard the manga is better, though, so I may get around to reading it some time.

Ice Arceus said:
Well, many websites have stated that a release date for season 2 will be announced sometime this month. I would expect that the studio would definitely continue, considering the series has been a success throughout many countries and would leave fans wanting more, especially since they failed to wrap up many loose ends in season 1.

If this actually happens, that would be pretty cool and I'll be excited for watching... but I've been burned too many times by anime rumours, so until there's something official, I certainly won't be holding my breath. :p

Turtwig said:
I hope there's a season two! I watched the series within like three days. Afterward, I went back to read the manga :p Even though I haven't read since the beginning of the year, I always get that eerie chill down my spine as I wonder if any good characters die.

I like the anime more than the manga because the manga has almost indistinguishable characters. Armin and Historia look almost identical, and my friends laugh when I mistake one for the other :p In the show, I feel like there's more effort to bring out the qualities of people. The manga is still great, but the anime seems more clear and isn't so hard to look at. I do agree that the manga does deliver the full story, though.

I personally didn't have a problem telling apart any of the characters in the manga, but perhaps that's an acquired talent. Looking back at a few pages... Armin's kinda girly-looking, true, but he has a pointier chin, and a rounder face structure and eyes compared to Historia. Also, Armin's ears are always covered by his hair and Historia's tend to stick out.

It's easier in anime because you can use colour, voices, and movement to distinguish between people very easily. It's just like how in old RPGs all of the main characters had different (and bright!) colours of hair so it made them easy to tell apart when they were all chibi sprites on an overworld map. :p You certainly have to pay more attention to art and subtle cues when reading a manga, though I think that applies to any manga, or comics, or whatever.

Cinesra said:
That's pretty much how I felt about it. The awful pacing and boring characters really dragged down what would've otherwise been a great show. I've heard the manga is better, though, so I may get around to reading it some time.

It sounds like you would probably enjoy the manga a lot. The pacing is much better, and there's a lot more characterization, too.

I didn't really care much for this anime when it started on Toonami, but once they revealed that Eren can transform into a Titan, things got a lot more interesting. I agree with Delta, they shouldn't have waited too long for that, they should've revealed that in like, the 3rd episode or something.

Yeah, the revelation comes rather soon in the manga, which has much better pacing over all.

Back