Writing Athena Plays Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - Final Chapter & Epilogue

Yeah, people have been reporting that the Watch Thread feature has been kind of spotty lately. :\ Dunno what's up with it myself. I typically do 1 update each weekday (M-F) sometime between 11am-3pm CET.

Chapter 7x: Wooooo, Gaiden Chapter~ \o/

Thanks to TGK watching the departing goons, we were able to follow their path slightly southwest through some foothills and towards a seemingly abandoned fortress. Villagers on the way shared with us that the group was known as The Black Fang...

Meanwhile, at the Black Fang Fortress...

<Ursula> So, let's me get this straight... the brother escaped and was helped by a band of brigands who chose to interfere for no reason and the sister was rescued by some red-haired guy?
<Goon> Well, you see, they ambushed us and--
<Ursula> No, no excuses. What's your plan for recovering them?
<Goon> Well, they seem to be headed this way...
<Ursula> They followed you? Why? o_o;
<Goon> They're probably after this sweet ring that we stole from the chick. I figured we could sell it for a pretty penny. Anyway, I guess that ring's just as good as bait. We can set a trap for them here, take the siblings, and kill the others.
<Ursula> I see. Well, I don't have time to stick around, so I guess I'll give you another chance to get them. But if you fail me again... the Fang's punishment awaits you. *leaves*
<Goon> Eep!​

Meanwhile, back with BB's Legion...

<BB> Welp, I guess this is the place. Everyone, prepare for battle!
<Celever> This is their main base in this area... it's going to be tough fighting our way in.
<SM> Please don't hurt yourselves for my sake... we can just forget the ring...
<Athena> Nah, we've this. No worries!
<TGK> Are you sure? It looks like there's an awful lot of them inside there...
<Athena> If you guys actually listen to me instead of derping around and doing you're own thing, then this will be a piece of cake.
<SM> Well, if you insist...​

We quickly made our preparations and then stormed in. Luis, TGK, and Matthew headed to the western room to loot the chest and hold back enemies, while PP snuck around the far eastern corridor and sniped enemies over the wall and BB, Vom, and Robin held the central corridor. The enemies came after us in predictable waves and were easily slaughtered. Matthew opened up the chest for a worthless Hammer and BB and Vom rushed the boss together and took him down.

<Goon> No... I can't fail here.... the consequences...
<BB> I don't give a crap about your consequences. Give us the girl's promise and promise me you'll leave them alone or I'll just skewer you on my sweet sword right here and now.
<Goon> Well, I'm going to die anyway, so... *swallows poison*
<Luis> That was unexpected. :|
<PP> What kind of people are these Black Fang?
<Vom> And what to they want with Celever and SM? *eyes the siblings suspiciously*
<Celever> ... ... ...
<SM> ... ... ...
<BB> Well, no matter. So long as you stick with us, you'll be safe. Now, let's dig through his pockets and see if we can't find your ring somewhere in here.
<SM> Yay, thank you~ <3​

Current Team!

BB
- Lv. 6 Lord
TGK - Lv. 6 Cavalier
Robin - Lv. 6 Pegasus Knight
Luis - Lv. 6 Mage
Vom - Lv. 7 Nomad
PP - Lv. 6 Monk
Celever - Lv. 3 Bard

Decisions!

We still have a few things to finalize for our picks. I'll leave these options open until the end of Lyn's Mode (Ch. 10) or until they've been finalized, whichever is sooner.

Supports: Skyleaf and TGK seem to have the most support, so we'll go ahead and roll with that. That leaves us with only one remaining Support voting option:

Should I also make up a fake Support chain between Athena and Luispipe/Cypher to make up for their lack of support in the playthrough? If so, which one? Since there are no actual Support conversations with the tactician at all, I would likely take one of their Supports with someone else and rework it to fit the playthrough, if you guys decide it's something you'd like to see. If there's no interest, I won't bother.

Player Notes

Our first gaiden, woo! \o/ Although slightly more difficult than any of the previous chapters we've played so far, pretty easy in actuality. Vom, Luis, and PP are all very strong ranged attackers which helps nicely, and the majority of enemies were very slow soldiers so everyone was doubling. BB and Luis were our main lures, effortlessly dispatching enemies on EP. People's levels are starting to level out too, which is nice for my OCD. I actually dragged this chapter out a few extra rounds to get Celever up to Lv. 3.

I was thinking of doing a Unit Recap today since we have prep screen unlocked and all Lyn Mode characters present, but we're only a couple chapters shy of the end of this bit, so I think I'll hold off and do one after Ch. 9, which should be posted on Tuesday.

Otherwise, nothing much of interest to say, and my back is killing me, so I'mma take a break from the computer for now. Hope you all enjoyed reading, and see you again next Monday as we get back to the main story! <3

so they decided to pickpocket the guy.. isn't that Mathew's thing? they gonna steal his class *^*

Chapter 8: Everyone is trying to kill us

<BB> Finally we've made it to the next chapter. I feel like we've been walking for days.
<Vom> Speak for yourself; I'm on a horse, so I've been riding instead of walking!
<Luis> It would be nice if you gave some of us others a chance to ride for a bit... my feet are so sore they don't even feel like feet anymore.
<TGK> Well, no worries, we're almost there. We've just crossed the border into Caelin territory!
<Everyone> Hurray! \o/
<Athena> By my calculations, everything should be resolved within 3 more chapters or so, though we haven't seen much combat recently...
<Robin> Oh dear, I hope you didn't just jinx us...
<Celever> I'm afraid she did. My danger sense is tingling. :|
<PP> Look out, they have ballistae!
<Robin> Eep! *hides behind BB*
<Vom> Oh, come on, you don't have to hide every time tha--
<Robin> But Ballistae really are dangerous to me and Huey; I don't want to get hit!
<BB> This must be more of my despicable uncle's work. >:|
<TGK> Probably. :\ How much money does this guy have to afford so many assassins anyway?
<BB> Well, we'll just have to kick their asses and show them who's boss. Everyone, prepare for battle!​

For what felt like the first time, everyone was willing to listen to my advice right from the beginning and I was eager to take advantage of it. I sent Luis, PP, and Celever off to the east to deal with the few enemies there and visit the nearby village, while I directed Robin to the very far west to keep her out of range of the enemy's ballista. The remaining units stood together and worked their way slowly southeast through forests and around the mountain, sweeping up enemies as they went.

Lundgren's forces fell fairly quickly and easily. With Celever's aid, Luis was able to sweep up the north and move back towards the rest, and Robin took up a safe position in a forest south of the ballista's range and began picking off the enemy reinforcements at a nearby fort. Eventually the main force of our army pushed through and Vom and BB were able to take down the ballista to give Robin free range. From there, it was just a matter of luring the last few soldiers from around the boss, and then PP and Luis teamed up to take him down together.

<BB> There, is it done? Are they all dead?
<Athena> *kicks a corpse* Looks like it.
<TGK> I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... I recognize this armor. These guys weren't hired mercs or bandits. They're Caelin soldiers! I think I even recognize a few faces...
<BB> So that would mean...
<Athena> Caelin soldiers are siding with Lundgren in his bid for power. Some of them, at least.
<TGK> Black-hearted traitors. >:|
<BB> Thank you for the warning, Celever. I guess we'll have to start being on our guard again.
<PP> Pardon me, but I thought you'd like to know that I took the time to chat with some villagers earlier. It seems like your grandfather is... very unwell. He's been in bed for 3 months.
<BB> 3 months!
<PP> There have also been some... interesting rumours. Rumours of poison. No one is Brave enough to say a name, but I think we all know who is most likely to be poisoning the Marquess....
<BB> That rotten bastard Lundgren.
<PP> In fact, as soon as your grandfather fell ill, Lundgren began taking control of the castle in his stead.
<BB> How can everyone just let him get away with this? >_<
<TGK> As much as we all know it's him, no one has any proof. You can't really except poor peasants to take a stand against a powerful noble anyway.
<BB> I don't think things can get any worse...
<PP> Well, about that....
<BB> Oh gods, don't tell me there's more?
<PP> Lundgren has been spreading rumours of his own, rumours of a savage woman pretending to be the Marquess's granddaughter for the sole purpose of raiding his treasury, and that 2 traitorous knights of Caelin are aiding her for profit.
<TGK> Wait, so now everyone thinks that BB is a fraud and Kent and I are traitors?!
<Athena> And it's not like BB has any proof to her claims...
<BB> Yeah, my mom didn't exactly given me any Lycian souvenirs or anything...
<TGK> Your face is your proof! Even that asshole in Araphen commented on how much you looked like Madelyn. If we can just get you to the Marquess...
<Athena> But in the meantime, we're stuck with Caelin troops thinking you and Kain are deserted helping a look-alike. No wonder they were so happy to attack us.
<Robin> Isn't there anything we can do? :<
<BB> Hmmm... I wonder if NotJim would be willing to help us out? After all, his the son of a Marquess himself, and he did offer his aid when we met up with him sooner...
<Athena> Welp, that's the closest thing to a plan we have. Back to Araphen!​

Current Team!

BB
- Lv. 7 Lord
TGK - Lv. 6 Cavalier
Robin - Lv. 6 Pegasus Knight
Luis - Lv. 7 Mage
Vom - Lv. 7 Nomad
PP - Lv. 7 Monk
Celever - Lv. 5 Bard

Decisions!

We still have a few things to finalize for our picks. I'll leave these options open until the end of Lyn's Mode (Ch. 10) or until they've been finalized, whichever is sooner.

Supports: Skyleaf and TGK seem to have the most support, so we'll go ahead and roll with that. That leaves us with only one remaining Support voting option:

Should I also make up a fake Support chain between Athena and Luispipe/Cypher to make up for their lack of support in the playthrough? If so, which one? Since there are no actual Support conversations with the tactician at all, I would likely take one of their Supports with someone else and rework it to fit the playthrough, if you guys decide it's something you'd like to see. If there's no interest, I won't bother.

Player Notes

Yay for everyone listening to me! \o/ Still an easy chapter, though. 18 enemies total, most of them Lv. 1. The only slightly tricky thing in this level that might pose a challenge to a new player is the introduction of Reaver weapons, weapons that reverse the weapon triangle. You get an explanation of them from the old man at the village, but unless you get into the habit of looking at enemy inventory (something that I always do, mostly to look for tasty dropped items and potential effective/killer weapons), you might not realize that some of the enemies have them too.

The longest part of this chapter was leveling up Celever. He's up to 5 now! He only needs 2 more levels before Chapter 10 ends and then he's good. Since he doesn't actually go into combat at all, he doesn't really need levels or stats that much, but we want that fancy gaiden later on. :U We'll probably get him up to 7 next chapter.

In general, we're not getting too many chapters because of how low level the enemies are, which is why our leveling progress has mostly slowed to a crawl. Of course, it doesn't really matter much for anyone not named Celever, but still.

The ballista is absolutely no concern at all in this chapter, really, despite such a big deal being made of it in the opening scene. It doesn't move, and it's very easy to have Robin avoid getting into its range at all but simply going south over the mountains and river instead of following the main path. Every single round the ballista was still in use it tried to shoot Celever, and every single time it failed because Celever is a dodge tank. Ballista guy was useless. :U

Luis and PP teamed up to take down the boss because he was a knight with high def, but poor PP is running low on his Lightning tome. :< We won't be able to buy another until 10 so he might have to sit out most of tomorrow's chapter.

And speaking of tomorrow's chapter, that's the penultimate chapter of Lyn's story, so we'll also get our first unit recap then. Hope you enjoyed reading! <3

Once again a very entertaining read. I'm looking forward to the part with Hector (Green) and Eliwood (Notjim)

If I was a skilled artist I would turn this into a comic :p
Or if I was an formidable programmer I could replace the dialogue in the actual game
...Sadly I'm neither

Once FEXNA is released, I'm going to make so many Fire Emblem games...

Nope, sadly. It'll be done when it's done. While I do have some FE hacker contacts, no one I know seems to have anymore information than has been released publicly. If I were to guess, I'd say probably not 2016 but maybe 2017.

There is a large part of me that just wants to say "screw it" and start learning Nightmare and whatever to learn hacking with the tools we already do have, but it's a lot of effort and there are other things I can spend my time on, so I'll probably just wait it out. :p

What's FEXNA?

In short, FEXNA is an in-progress program that, when done, will easily allow users to create their own Fire Emblem scenarios and games without needing to learn all the coding and stuff that's necessary to use the currently available hacking programs.

In short, FEXNA is an in-progress program that, when done, will easily allow users to create their own Fire Emblem scenarios and games without needing to learn all the coding and stuff that's necessary to use the currently available hacking programs.
:O

you should totally turn this playthrough into a game.

Just dialogue text editing is simple enough that that probably is something I could already do if I were so inclined, but I'm not. :p It's not like I'm writing up a different game from the real FE7 or anything, just rewriting some of the text for amusement value.

Just dialogue text editing is simple enough that that probably is something I could already do if I were so inclined, but I'm not. :p It's not like I'm writing up a different game from the real FE7 or anything, just rewriting some of the text for amusement value.
Amusement values is the best values :p

Chapter 9: NotJim to the rescue with the power of neutrality!

And so BB's Legion formed a, uh, tactical retreat and we ran back to Kathalet with our tails between our legs, hoping desperately that NotJim would still be there, and still be willing to help us too. Thankfully, we found him, and BB, TGK, and I explained the political situation to him.

<NotJim> Hmm, well, I'm not allowed to take part in combat until we get to Green's part of the story...
<BB> :<
<NotJim> ... but I think I can still help out in an indirect way by making sure the other realms of Lycia remain neutral. You'll still have to handle Lundgren's forces on your own, but at least you can know that he won't be able to call for any outside reinforcements on you.
<Athena> Yeah, that'll be a big help. The last thing we need is all of Lycia on our tails instead of just Lundgren and his lackeys.​

While NotJim sent messengers out to Caelin's neighbors, we rested and recuperated in Kathalet, eventually, NotJim got his answers.

<NotJim> Alright. Laus, Tuscana, Kathelet, Tania, and Santaruz have all pledged neutrality. You should be safe there. Hopefully, that'll be enough.
<BB> It's a big help, NotJim, thank you. <3
<NotJim> You're welcome! I'll be praying for your success. :3
<Athena> Come on, we should get going.​

We said our goodbyes to NotJim and he departed to go back to Pherae. Then, we gathered up everyone up and prepared to take our leave and head back to Caelin, though by the time we had left the city, the weather was turning foul...

<Luis> Ugh, a fog is rolling in.
<Robin> Oh dear, I hope it won't be too hard to see!
<PP> Yes, I would hate to have to battle in this.
<Athena> Oh dear, now you guys have gone and jinxed us. We're certainly going to get a fog of war map now. >_<
<BB> Well, we need to keep heading out regardless, we can't waste anymore time. TGK, what's the best way to get to Caelin Castle from here?
<TGK> Well, we could cut through General Eagler's estate by heading due south. It would cut off some time, but...
<Vom> But what? >_>
<TGK> Eagler is a noble of Caelin. *shrugs* I once would have thought him a staunch friend of your grandfather's, but he's probably under Lundgren's thumb. We'll likely have to fight our way through, though it'll still save us some time.
<BB> Alright, let's do it.
<Athena> *sigh* I knew this would end up as a fog of war map...​

Before we charged blindly (literally, thanks to the fog) into enemy territory, we stopped to ready our weapons and otherwise prepare for battle. Before we could charge forward, however, a strange clunking sound could be heard approaching us from the opposite direction. Eventually the sound came closer and was accompanied by a blob in the fog, which eventually resolved itself into the shape of a knight.

<Robin> Eep! A ghost! *hides behind BB*
<Celever> That's no ghost, it's a space station!
<TGK> That's no space station, it's Lord Wallace!
<Wallace> Hey guys, 'sup?
<BB> Who is this guy, TGK? Can we trust him? >_>
<TGK> Lord Wallace used to be the commander of the Caelin knights... but I thought he retired?
<Wallace> I did... or at least I thought I did. Then I got a formal summons from Lord Lundgren telling me to hunt down and kill an imposter girl and 2 traitorous knights.
<TGK> Surely you don't think that I'm a traitor...
<Wallace> Well, let's just say I'm open-minded. Let's see the girl who claims to be Madelyn's daughter.
<TGK> If you harm one hair on her head, I swear I'll--
<BB> Peace, TGK. Lord Wallace, I am Madelyn's daughter, bbninjas.
<Wallace> Hmmm. Yep, you're legit.
<Luis> What? Just like that, you believe us? o_o;
<Wallace> Wahahahaha, I'm an old fighter, kid. I can spot a liar at one hundred yards, even in fog like this! Your bbninjas is no imposter.
<Athena> *phew*
<Wallace> In fact, I think I'll join up and fight with you, what do you say?
<TGK> Wait, are you for reals?
<Wallace> What, you think I'd just sit back and let an usurper like Lundgren lie his way to the throne? Not a chance!
<BB> We'd be very grateful for your help. This is Athena, our tactician.
<Athena> Nice to meet you, Wallace. :3 Now, everyone listen, let's start off with--
<Wallace> Hey Athena, let me go first!
<Athena> Okay, you can go over there and--
<Wallace> Nope, I'm going to stay right here and use this Knight Crest to promote myself.
<Athena> But... you're only Lv. 12!
<Wallace> Doesn't matter! I'm doing in!​

While I was busy facepalming, Wallace reached into his back, pulled out a Knight Crest, and instantly promoted himself into a General.

<Athena> There, are you happy? Can we move on now?
<Wallace> Oh, yeah, sure.
<Athena> *mutters* If I didn't know better I'd think the only reason he waited to promote until joining up with us was specifically to troll me... *sigh*​

And so, we moved forward and progressed steadily toward Lord Eagler's estate. TGK took the lead while Robin flew up to handle some Brigands on a nearby mountain peak. We'd crossed a bridge and were beginning to move further forward when the fog decided to thicken up considerably, hindering our view.

<PP> Oh dear, I can't hardly see far in front of my face like this.
<Athena> Well, we'll just have to hope it hinders our enemies, too. Everyone, be careful!​

The main force of our group stuck together and carefully eased their way forward. Robin was stuck up on the mountains and happened to get ambushed, but she pulled through admirably, killing the bandits and soldiers that came after her with a combination of luck and skill. Vom and BB stuck together to take out some additional bandits pouring in from the south, with TGK led the rest of the group.

It was slow moving, but eventually we made our way through the fog to Eagler's castle in the south. Celever kept everyone happy and quick with his flute playing while Luis, Vom, and BB teamed up to take him down.

<Eagler> Go quickly... the Marquess... no illness, only poison... please... for the Marquess... x_x;
<PP> He's dead, Jim.
<BB> What a shame... what kind of a man was this Eagler, TGK?
<TGK> A good man, when I knew him. He was a teacher of knights at the academy for both Kent and me...
<Athena> Then why would he do this?
<Vom> I'd guess this Lundgren had some kind of hold on him, a family member he wanted to protect, perhaps...
<BB> Man, why does Lundgren have to be suck a JERK?! >:|​

Meanwhile, with the jerk...

<Lundgren> How are you feeling today, my sweet brother? :3 :3
<MarquessCaelin> Lundgren.... you fiend....
<Lundgren> Mwahahaha, your granddaughter is dead and soon you will be joining her and everything will be mine! >:3
<MC> I only wanted... to see her... one time...
<Lundgren> Welp, since you're not going to get your wish you may as well just give up and die already. >:3
<MC> Man... you really are... a jerk....​

Current Team!

BB
- Lv. 8 Lord
TGK - Lv. 7 Cavalier
Robin - Lv. 7 Pegasus Knight
Luis - Lv. 7 Mage
Vom - Lv. 9 Nomad
Celever - Lv. 7 Bard
PP - Lv. 7 Monk

Decisions!

Player Notes

The closest thing we've had to a difficult level so far, mostly because of fog of war, which hurts us but doesn't affect the enemies in the slightest for some reason. Robin did have a super nice EP where she got 2 crits in a row to kill 2 Bandits she otherwise would have only wounded. TGK carried EP with the main group, riding out into the fog since I knew he would reliably be able to take several hits, even if I didn't know they were coming.

There's actually a method that I could have used to forcibly override the tutorial and not promote Wallace, but I didn't bother for a few reasons. 1) We're not using Wallace so I don't mind if he's promoted early or not; 2) I don't have any other use for the Knight Crest anyway (technically I could have had TGK kill everything and get up to Lv. 10, but then he'd be promoted super early which would suck); and 3) I've spent all these last few chapters complaining about the tutorial, so it would be silly for me to override it for this time. So, it just happened.

Next chapter is the final chapter of Lyn's Mode. Her mini-story will come to a close, and Thursday we'll start with the beginning of Hector's Mode and begin building our cast up again, so we'll be saying a temporary goodbye to some of our characters in the meantime. So, while they're all here, let's do our first Unit Recap of the team we have to finish up the tutorial portion of the game.

BB - Lv. 8 Lord

vq78vBz.png

Myrm/10. BB has low Str/Def but high Skl/Spd. She doubles basically everything she touches, and with her Mani Katti as an effective weapon against Horses and Armors (and a hefty 25% crit rate, too), she doesn't even really need super high Str to still do damage. She's good at dodging, but thanks to her low Def/HP, when things do hit her, they hurt, so she focused more on player phase damage. She's up to C Swords already.

TGK - Lv. 7 Cavalier

GVY3c7W.png

TGK's had some very nice level ups (except for the one he got this chapter, that is...) so he's definitely a powerhouse. His Str and Def are excellent and he's even got some good Spd procs, but his current downfall in his low Skl, which basically means he needs to pay extra attention to the weapon triangle. Thankfully, he has that covered, with a D in Swords and a C in Lances. His high move and good defenses and countering ability mean that he's primarily an EP phase unit, tanking damage and attacking back to clear paths.

Robin - Lv. 7 Pegasus Knight

BbdhuV0.png

Robin has had some amazingly lucky Str procs since she arrived, gaining 4 Str in 6 levels, about double what you'd expect from her growths. Because of that (and her naturally high Skl/Spd), she's been a lot better at ORKOing enemies than I'm used to from her at this point in the game. The Angelic Robe that I gave her earlier has boosted her low HP considerably, which also helps to compensate for her low Def as well, though I still try and keep her out of the range of too many enemies and focus on PP damage since she's still pretty fragile.

Luis - Lv. 7 Mage

2j0Qp1b.png

Luis is getting along decently. Compared to PP, his defensive stats are better, with higher HP, Lck, Def, and Res all, though his HP and Def are still too low to warrant putting him in the line of fire much if it can be avoided. Since the vast majority of the enemies at this point in the game have no to little Res, he still effectively one-shots everything he can double, which is almost everything, even with his lower Mag and Spd. Luis is mostly used as a PP fighter or as bait for lone ranged attackers during EP.

Vom - Lv. 9 Nomad

lhphJzH.png

Vom is sadly our most disappointing combat unit so far. He's our only archer, but since there hasn't been a single flying enemy yet, that isn't particularly meaningful. His Str, Skl, and Spd are all decent, but thanks to the low Mt of Bows, he has a trouble ORKOing a decent chunk of enemies. His Def is decent, but he can can only attack from range, so it's not a good idea to have him in front. He has a B rank in Bows, but nothing to use it on. He'll be a lot more useful when he comes back in Hector's Mode, which is mostly why I'm trying to feed him as much EXP now as I can.

Celever - Lv. 7 Bard

NZ7cIz3.png

As a purely support character, there's not much I can say about Celever, really. He plays his flute for people, and they get to go again. I've been dragging out levels to get him enough EXP for us to reach a special gaiden chapter later in the game, but otherwise he mostly just exists to give someone else an extra turn for the round. His high Lck and Spd make him a pretty excellent dodgetank, which is good because that's all he really need in combat.

PP
- Lv. 7 Monk

WgT4PmA.png

Gogo glass cannon mage! Compared to Luis, PP has the better Offensive stats, with higher Mag, Skl, and Spd. Combined with the low (or nonexistent) Res of most enemies, there's nothing he can't kill, but he's very very fragile. Since most of the enemy magic users that we've seen so far have been Shamans, he's a very effective mage killer, and will continue to be for most of the game. When there's no Shamans for him to take down, he mostly huddles in the back line and takes pot shots, or helps take down bosses.

As always, I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and are looking forward to the conclusion of BB's little story. :)

Back