Discussion Ariados AOR Support Pokemon

exxtrooper

Spooky spooky tree
Ariados – Grass – HP70
Stage 1 – Evolves from Spinarak

Ability: Poison Nest
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Ability. Both Active Pokemon are now Poisoned. (Excluding [G] Pokemon.)

[G][C] Corner: 30 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon can’t retreat during your opponent’s next turn.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

There's been a little discussion going around the nest big fighting deck being the new Machamp coming out combining with Ariados for consistency, a deck that might even make primal groudon decks redunant as it's just much easier to do with this combo instead.

However, I am looking at more unorthodox ways to use the new poisonous friend. Poisoning the opponent at will is huge, and would've probably been ridiculous with Virbank City Gym. Obviously this will be best in pure grass decks as it'll leave them unaffected, but any other type of pokemon will be left with quite a bit of pressure being poisoned just about every turn.

What other ways can this ability be taken advantage of? Another thing I had in mind is combining it with Vileplume and using it as an attacker, creating a junior Seismitoad-ex, which might actually be devastating. Combining this with Dragalge from Flashfire (#71) and you've got yourself quite the lock deck going, consistent as well.

Another idea I had in mind is using it in a metal deck with steel shelter, as mentioned here in this decklist. I think the additional damage over time is key to taking down the huge hp pokemon only left with a tiny bit of health after attacks (waitlord).

Does anyone else have any other ideas to use this pokemon to it's full potential?

I think that if you want to have Ariados as an attacker, you have no need for Dragalge, beacause, well, Corner already prevents retreat.

I think that Gourgiest XY with Spirit Scream paired with Ariados could be an interesting deck. You'd have to use Sparkling robe, or some other way of not poisoning yourself, though.

Here's a silly idea: Dragalgae + Ariados + Roaring Skies Jirachi. Instant boon of poison with Ariados that's not at threat at being knocked out, poison keeps both Pokemon locked in and Doom Desire will take care of the rest.

I think Dragalge/Ariados makes a decent lock engine. Sceptile-EX is the obvious Pokemon to pair with for this strategy, due to Unseen Blade and its Grass typing preventing poison.

Other options could be Beautifly (Keep switching out your opponent's Pokemon and locking them in) or Venomoth PHF (if you want to be known as the Worst Person at your local League)

Right now my biggest worry are two cards: Switch and Escape Rope. Though pairing the above combos with Vileplume...
You really can't do anything about Switch and Escape Rope bar Vileplume. However, most people only put ~2 in their deck, so really they've only got 2 outs.

Yeah, true. I was contemplating whether Trevenant would be viable at all but the pressure of Lysandre keeps it down unfortunately.

You could use Team Aqua's seviper for a disruption deck as it can be set up turn one. combine it with Crushing/Enhanced Hammer and Muscle band it works to do damage that slowly builds up while also denying energy. And you could probably heal yourself using cards like full heal.

Back