Discussion Are You a Rage Quitter? (Online PTCGO)

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
I dont know how many games I have played online where we get down to the last prize card, I am about to press the attack button for the final knock out and then suddenly my opponent quits.

Many of us try to collect the rewards by knocking out 16 Pokemon of a certain type. It seems like good etiquette to just let the guy (or girl) take the knock out. That being said if I am about to knock out my opponents last Pokemon i am not going to attach energy, or evolve, or take unnecessary time, I will go right for the knock out. I will afford my opponent that privilege. When they start doing the aforementioned unnecessary steps I will quit on them.

So what do you think. Am I the only one that thinks this is bad sportsmanship.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
It's still to their advantage to quit early if the game is lost since it saves them time (even if it's just a few seconds)

Besides how are they suppose to know you are trying to get challenge rewards?

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
I never quit even if is 90% sure I gonna loose, I play until my opponent take the last prize card and I know how annoying is when you are trying to complete a challenge, there was a a challenge in November I believe, It was a big one, you have to KO 50 pokemons with certain type (I dont remember what type exactly) and I remember play like 6 in a Row and when I was about to kill just 1, they just quit every single time, I had to play tons of games to finally be able to complete that challenge

Otaku

The wise fool?
It's still to their advantage to quit early if the game is lost since it saves them time (even if it's just a few seconds)

You just read it on the matchup screen. Yup. Glad everyone supported my suggestion to the devs to start displaying the challenges on the matchup screen instead of the major Types in your opponent's deck.

April Fools

*begins crying*

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
If all my opponent needs to do is click the attack button, I'll let them take the K.O. But if they have game and them they start playing unnecessary cards, I scoop for the sake of time.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I think one should definitely scoop when you're in an unplayable position, since it saves everyone's time. It's how most games operate - even in chess, it is common for one to resign when it is impossible to win (i.e. there is an unavoidable checkmate, or when you've simply lost too much material), even if an actual win is still many moves way. It's pretty similar here - there's often positions where it's impossible to win, such as if your opponent can easily stream KO's on your benched yet-to-evolve attackers, so that there's no way you can setup and take prizes yourself. I'd say it's probably a bit dog to scoop right as your opponent tries to take that last prize card - you've chosen to continue playing, so playing to the end is more a respect thing I suppose. Rewards shouldn't really play a factor; you still have the same amount of time available to play for those prizes. If you have a deck that matches up poorly with 90% of the decks, and actually KOing things is a small chance, then I think you're sorta sorta missing the point of the competitive game (to win), and the prizes (to win with different strategies).

Jhazz

Aspiring Trainer
Not sure if it counts as rage quitting, but I concede whenever I see Garchomp because I'm so sick of playing against it.

Jhazz

Aspiring Trainer
You mean you get beat by it all the time?

No, I had a pretty good record against it until I saw it every other match. It just seems like 70-80% of my matches are against Garchomp. I barely login anymore because of it.

Articuno_Aria

Articuno is UNO for a reason
I'd say it's probably a bit dog to scoop right as your opponent tries to take that last prize card - you've chosen to continue playing, so playing to the end is more a respect thing I suppose.

I was playing Silvally/Volcanion against DM Necrozma just now, each of us had 2 prizes left. 2 energy on my Volc and used an energy retrieval to get a fire energy from my KO'd Turtornator. I hit the button to use Volcanic Heat for the win... and he scooped. I get that he was at a type disadvantage, but at least play it out

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
Saving time? I dont think so. The scenario I see most is the following:

I am one prize away from the win. I play a Guzma pulling the final card in to the active. The race is on, will my opponent be able to get in to the options menu, press concede game and then click OK before I have a chance to attack. This scenario is frequent and usually just involves my opponent trying to regain control of a game where they lost. Seems like a poor loser to me.

As I said though, if I were to evolve, attach energy, or in any way delay the outcome I get it, that is ignorant too. My general rule is I give my opponent about 10 seconds before I will concede.

As for the rewards, I thought it was a given that most people will take the free packs / coins since you have to select a challenge anyway....Maybe thats a new thread?

I think one should definitely scoop when you're in an unplayable position, since it saves everyone's time. It's how most games operate - even in chess, it is common for one to resign when it is impossible to win (i.e. there is an unavoidable checkmate, or when you've simply lost too much material), even if an actual win is still many moves way. It's pretty similar here - there's often positions where it's impossible to win, such as if your opponent can easily stream KO's on your benched yet-to-evolve attackers, so that there's no way you can setup and take prizes yourself. I'd say it's probably a bit dog to scoop right as your opponent tries to take that last prize card - you've chosen to continue playing, so playing to the end is more a respect thing I suppose. Rewards shouldn't really play a factor; you still have the same amount of time available to play for those prizes. If you have a deck that matches up poorly with 90% of the decks, and actually KOing things is a small chance, then I think you're sorta sorta missing the point of the competitive game (to win), and the prizes (to win with different strategies).

I agree with scooping in an unplayable game, Im referring to the race to the concede button / attack button on the last move before a win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otaku

The wise fool?
Rewards shouldn't really play a factor; you still have the same amount of time available to play for those prizes. If you have a deck that matches up poorly with 90% of the decks, and actually KOing things is a small chance, then I think you're sorta sorta missing the point of the competitive game (to win), and the prizes (to win with different strategies).

I wanted to highlight this because it is technically true but functionally false, and something that I have experienced time and time again. Let me explain why in list form:

1) The time it takes for the PTCGO to match you with another opponent.
2) The time it takes to go through the pre-game screens.
3) The time it takes for setup prior to T1 (far less than in a physical match, but resolving those mulligans can still take a bit).
4) The time it takes for you achieve the state needed to satisfy the challenge.

I've had opponent's conceding early add two hours to completing a challenge. Yes, this includes numerous variables, and I'm not presenting that as the norm. I am pointing out that even when things go perfectly, conceding against an opponent can easily add five minutes to the time it takes them to complete a Challenge. Not just the KO Challenges, either; even normally easy stuff like the damage challenges, I've had to dedicate a lot of time to completing by doing what you'd think would make it go fast: having a deck that hits hard fast (or at least, relatively fast). The catch is that once you start hitting big numbers, a PTCGO opponent is very likely to decide "I can't win." and concede. So just because I could swing for 500 damage in one hit after only two turns of setting up, the challenge takes 10 games where most progress came while I was losing because if I had a good open, my opponent would ragequit before I even finished making that first big attack. XP

Even if it doesn't add much time, this seems like a matter of respect. When two people play a game, they are agreeing to share their time with each other. When someone decides to quit early, you're taking that back. "Oh, hey! I know I said I was going to play this game with you, but I'm losing now so I decided I'm not. You're not even worth another minute of my time."

Mariano11887

Goalkeeper
It's very annoying when you are playing just to complete the daily challenges and your opponent concedes, specially when you are two clicks away from the last knock out. I consider everyone who does it a bad loser.

This isn't true. You don't know if your opponent is playing to complete the challenges, so you should let them take the knock out. Like you said, if it just takes a few seconds, wait.

If all my opponent needs to do is click the attack button, I'll let them take the K.O. But if they have game and them they start playing unnecessary cards, I scoop for the sake of time.
I'm mostly against conceding any game, but I agree with this. It seems like your opponent is joking you when he starts doing those unnecessary things.

Rewards shouldn't really play a factor; you still have the same amount of time available to play for those prizes.
Nope. I play TCGO mainly for the rewards of the challenges. Yesterday I was 1 KO away to accomplish my challenge and my opponent scooped just before my last attack. I had to spend 15 additional minutes to play another game to finally complete the challenge.

Saving time? I dont think so. The scenario I see most is the following:

I am one prize away from the win. I play a Guzma pulling the final card in to the active. The race is on, will my opponent be able to get in to the options menu, press concede game and then click OK before I have a chance to attack. This scenario is frequent and usually just involves my opponent trying to regain control of a game where they lost. Seems like a poor loser to me.

As I said though, if I were to evolve, attach energy, or in any way delay the outcome I get it, that is ignorant too. My general rule is I give my opponent about 10 seconds before I will concede.

As for the rewards, I thought it was a given that most people will take the free packs / coins since you have to select a challenge anyway....Maybe thats a new thread?

I agree with scooping in an unplayable game, Im referring to the race to the concede button / attack button on the last move before a win.
I completely agree with this.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Well, because I mostly play TCGO as practice for real life games, I do personally find scooping acceptable because: Wanna know what's worse than having to play an extra game to complete a task? Playing in a 9 round tournament that costs money where you lose your win and in to someone because they didn't scoop a terrible game and screw both of you over. Scooping is an important skill in the real life TCG, and not knowing when to can be bad. Like I said, I only play for practice, and I know it varies person to person on what is and isn't acceptable.

dmode15

Aspiring Trainer
Well, because I mostly play TCGO as practice for real life games, I do personally find scooping acceptable because: Wanna know what's worse than having to play an extra game to complete a task? Playing in a 9 round tournament that costs money where you lose your win and in to someone because they didn't scoop a terrible game and screw both of you over. Scooping is an important skill in the real life TCG, and not knowing when to can be bad. Like I said, I only play for practice, and I know it varies person to person on what is and isn't acceptable.

Read my other posts. I am not referring to scooping, which is a skill in itself. I'm referring to people who can't wait 2 and a half seconds while I take the win.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Read my other posts. I am not referring to scooping, which is a skill in itself. I'm referring to people who can't wait 2 and a half seconds while I take the win.
Right, I knew what you meant. I was making a general statement to other people who may think differently than either one of us.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Eh, I've done it, once or twice, only against Sylveon.

I never let Sylveon get the final Fairy Wind KO before I leave, never.

Sylveon drives me through the roof.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I dont know how many games I have played online where we get down to the last prize card, I am about to press the attack button for the final knock out and then suddenly my opponent quits.

Many of us try to collect the rewards by knocking out 16 Pokemon of a certain type. It seems like good etiquette to just let the guy (or girl) take the knock out. That being said if I am about to knock out my opponents last Pokemon i am not going to attach energy, or evolve, or take unnecessary time, I will go right for the knock out. I will afford my opponent that privilege. When they start doing the aforementioned unnecessary steps I will quit on them.

So what do you think. Am I the only one that thinks this is bad sportsmanship.

No, you're not the only one. I think it's incredibly bad sportsmanship to scoop in a non-tournament, more or less non-timed setting. If your loosing, take your lumps and let your opponent have their win. If it's mid-game, just ride it out. You never know, people make mistakes all the time, especially when they think they have it in the bag.

Otaku

The wise fool?

Right, I knew what you meant. I was making a general statement to other people who may think differently than either one of us.

I'm someone who often causes a discussion to veer because I used the main topic as a lead-in to a side topic... but I'm still not 100% certain what it is you are saying. Not because I disagree with you, but because I am actually not sure what the words all mean when put together in such a manner. XP

I do understand that you use the PTCGO to practice for playing games with the physical cards. You then bring up a 9 round tournament with an entry fee, but after that, I'm not understanding you. Feel free to clarify, or don't sweat it if you don't think it is important enough to bother. ;)