Discussion Are Megas Still Viable in Competitive?

Defiance

Aspiring Trainer
As the topic states; primarily with the loss of Mega Turbo in the rotation.

How viable can Megas like Rayquaza and Mewtwo be in the new format?

Isn't mega ray rotating? Mega Mewtwo might see some play, but with the looming trashalanche it probably won't see much. That being said, there is more psy support coming soon. Shining Mew would make a fun friend for energy acceleration, and if you could build up a lunala gx line you can use max potions without problem.

What other Mega's saw play? I've really only started playing since SUM released.

I think those two were the big two -- maybe Mega Pigeot saw some play, but otherwise those were the main.

Mewtwo,gardevoir(fates),groudon,rayquazza, scizor were all successful mega at one point however with mega turbo gone scizor is the only one that retains a small amount of viability as he's not hurt to bad without mega turbo. However it's likely that megas will not have much of a place in the coming format.
P.S mega pidgeot was never used in any high level tournament and got high up that card mega is hot garbage it's pre evolution did see a minute amount of success albeit with jolteon

That is unfortunate; I only recently got into the TCG and got to run MegaRay for one season.

Is there a turn around -- where the cards may see some play in the future? Or does it just generally mean that once cards rotate you might as well sell?

after rotation there are 30~ megas (xyp 10 bkt 4, bkp 2, gen 4, fco 3, sts 2, evo 5) left, of those M Mewtwo, M Gardevoir, M Alakazam, M Audino, are the only ones I think saw significant play and most of them not in a while.

but who knows they may see a resurgence with the rotation/new cards, M Gardevoir could be easily teched into Gardevoir GX for example

I don't know about M Gard. with Sky Field rotating that caps damage, and it doesn't really have synergy with Gard GX, they work off of different engines. M Alakazam might see a little boost because the format is slowing down and can sustain spread damage better than last season, but with a weakness to trashalanche I don't see it going anywhere.

I think mega Pokemon are more viable in next rotation but only the ones that have decent numbers. My Mega Pidgeot deck had good match ups against other meta decks and I think is the only deck that can play without Spirit Links so it can use other tool cards.

They have the advantage in general of being high-HP Pokemon that can evolve so as long as you have a good starting hand, they can tank hits and not get donked.

There are three things that I believe hurt the majority of Mega Evolutions:

• Competition from Stage 1 Pokémon-GX; basically they are a Mega Evolution that doesn't need a Spirit Link.
  • Loss of Mega Turbo
  • Terrible Weakness for the present (and predicted) metagame
A few also suffer due to staggered releases costing them their Basic counterpart. Oops. XP

Wasn't Mega Manectric a decent choice for awhile? Hit Yveltals for weakness, low attack cost, had decent energy acceleration.

Aye, but it has long since rotated from Standard play, which the discussion is focused upon. I think someone did slip up and mention one of the ones about to rotate out along with Mega Turbo. ;)

It's worth a shot but perhaps Xerneas BREAK and Mega Gard (Brilliant Arrow)? I mean, in certain cases, Gard can hit harder than Xerneas in the damage department, and even without Mega Turbo, Gard benefits from Geomancy. Maybe do something with Max Elixers too for before Gard Mega Evolves? Maybe possibly a Sylveon GX tech? I'm just spitballin' here, but I could work. Then again, I don't have the best experience with Megas, being that I play Volc/Turtonator, but I've seen Megas go about in their days.

It's worth a shot but perhaps Xerneas BREAK and Mega Gard (Brilliant Arrow)? I mean, in certain cases, Gard can hit harder than Xerneas in the damage department, and even without Mega Turbo, Gard benefits from Geomancy. Maybe do something with Max Elixers too for before Gard Mega Evolves? Maybe possibly a Sylveon GX tech? I'm just spitballin' here, but I could work. Then again, I don't have the best experience with Megas, being that I play Volc/Turtonator, but I've seen Megas go about in their days.

I think with those Pokemon, they tend to be better in their own decks. I think something like M Gardevoir-EX with maybe two Xerneas BREAK would be nice but I personally think Xerneas BREAK is the better of the two since it doesn't need a Spirit Link and is a one prize attacker.

Back