Help Are all older Trainer cards with no subtype Items?

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
Are all Trainer cards with no subtype on them (e.g. Item/Supporter/Stadium) considered Item cards? I believe all Trainer cards from Gen I through Gen III were qualified as Items when Gen IV came out and if there's no Trainer subtype on the card, the card is from Gen I through Gen III, so I guess that sort of answers the question... Were Trainer subtypes only introduced in Gen IV?

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Gen 1's pre-Gym Heroes trainer cards are all considered items. Stadiums were introduced in Gym Heroes. Supporters were introduced in Expedition Base Set... Supporters and Stadiums were made their own card type in Gen IV, but they became subtypes again in BW, and are still that way today...

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Stadium cards were introduced in Gen 1 in Gym Heroes and Gym Challenge sets.
Supporter cards were introduced in Gen 2 Expedition set.
Tools were officially introduced in Gen 2 or 3 but attaching Trainer cards to Pokemon was a concept since Base Set.

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
Thank you. If there is no listed subtype on the Trainer card, can I assume that the expansion is before the Gen 1 Gym Heroes and therefore an Item?

EDIT: I looked at some cards in Gym Heroes and the Stadiums are marked as such, but Supporters are not (I'm assuming Trainers such as Brock and Misty, etc. are Supporters). So a card like Secret Mission, is there a shortcut to know if it's a Supporter or Item? If it shows a person, would that mean it's a Supporter?

SecretMissionGymHeroes118.jpg

Last edited:

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
In Gen 1, the term "Item cards" was not used, they were all referred to as "Trainer cards". If there's no subtype, it is simply a "Trainer card".

There are no Supporters in Gym Heroes, or in any sets up to Expedition. Brock, Misty, etc are NOT considered Supporters, but rather just Trainer cards. So in theory, you could play 4 copies of each during a single turn!
Same goes for Secret Mission - it's not a Supporter nor Item, just a Trainer card, and you can play it as many times as you want in a turn.

Old Trainer cards without a subtype is kinda similar to today's Item cards like Potion and Poke Ball. But when a Gen 1 card says "Trainer card", it could also mean Stadium card. For example, you could use Item Finder (Base Set) to retrieve Celadon City Gym from your discard.

Rule of thumb - don't mix up new rules with old rules. Old rules for old cards, standard rules for standard cards.
I hope this makes sense.

(dang, I feel so old just talking about this lol)

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks. Good thing I found someone old enough to remember all this. :)

I had read elsewhere that "Trainer cards that are not Supporters or Stadiums released before Black & White have been redefined as Item cards", but whether these cards are "Trainer Cards" or "Item Cards" the main takeaway like you said is that you can play as many as you want of these older Trainer cards in a turn which is what is important to know.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Thanks. Good thing I found someone old enough to remember all this. :)

I had read elsewhere that "Trainer cards that are not Supporters or Stadiums released before Black & White have been redefined as Item cards", but whether these cards are "Trainer Cards" or "Item Cards" the main takeaway like you said is that you can play as many as you want of these older Trainer cards in a turn which is what is important to know.
If it says "Trainer", it's a "Trainer Item."
If it says "Trainer Item", it's a Trainer Item.
If a "Trainer" or "Trainer Item" is a Tool card, it will explicitly say so on the card. Even if you attach it to your Pokémon, it is still not a Tool card unless it SAYS it's a Tool card. An example of this is the pure Trainer card Brock's Protection from Gym Challenge.
If it says "Supporter", it's a "Trainer Supporter".
If it says "Trainer Supporter", it's a Trainer Supporter.
If it says "Stadium", it's a Trainer Stadium.
If it says "Trainer Stadium", it's a Trainer Stadium.
This is, of course, using the official BW onward rulings. Custom formats in the Pokémon community will sometimes change up Trainer card classifications.

Raven Zombie

Dark/Ghost Trainer
actually i was having the same problem... OP, are you asking for playability... or collecting in a book. most of the answers given are for playability...

my Trainers book is divided by Supporters/Items/Stadiums... i personally go with if trainers name is in title, and picture, its a Supporter. If its and obvious place. its a stadium... actions and inanimate objects are items... but i'll admit im still iffy on a few.
Breeder Fields - (Breeder/Supporter) or (Fields/Stadium) or item?
Arcade game and Card-Flip game (game corner) - game/Item or game corner/Stadium?
Ruin Wall - Place or item? (you cant take it with you) probably (puzzle/item, since there are multiple Ruins/Stadiums)
there is a Pokemon Center 'stadium' building(labeled Stadium), Pokemon Center item (pic of Ball Healer Machine) but Night Pokemon Center is a building... so Stadium or Item?
-named Supporters - Protags, Gym leaders(not badge or stadium), Professors, Bill, Mary, Mr Fuji
-trainer class Supporters - Gambler, Lass, Breeder, Trader
-Supporters pic designated to a gym leader... otherwise would be an item(action) - Charity, Fervor, Good Manners, Secret Mission

jiwlei

Aspiring Trainer
I still have my cards from when I was 10. Pretty much waiting until they're worth millions so tutu box I can retire. Ooor I guess I could get into the actual game now that I know how!

Last edited: