• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Arcanine Swap, 150 Damage per turn(Budget Deck)

Tigger3584

Aspiring Trainer
I've been looking at Archanine (one of my favorite Pokemon) and wondering about ways to make use of It's Burning Road ability. I came up with this deck online and would like advice on how to improve it without expensive cards. I would like to make this and play it competitively at a local Pokemon League.
Pokemon(12)
4 Archanine (Steam Siege)
4 Growlithe (Steam Siege)
2 Dodrio (Breakthrough)
2 Doduo (Breakthrough)
Trainers(36)
4 Sycamores
4 N's
2 Shaunas
2 Brock's Grit
2 Lysandre
2 Pokemon Ranger
4 Scorched Earth
4 Ultra Ball
2 Max Potion
4 Float Stone
2 Energy Pouch
2 Energy Retrieval
2 Escape Rope
Energies(12)
12 Fire energy

Burning road arcanine is from evolutions, not steam siege.

The problem with arcanine is that it needs a way to charge and conserve 3-4 energy on the board and keep switching to keep attacking. That's a tall order when every revenge ko clears away 4 energy, assuming you can charge your attacker before being dragged off the bench by Lysandre.

I think you should try a max elixir + exp share combo to get and keep fire energy in play. Also you need more attackers, its easy to prize growlithes and be short handed because of it. Baby volcanion power heater could work.

As for tech supporters like Olympia, they are not worth it unless you play the typical 4 vs seekers.

Lolzzzz! I feel you @Tigger3584, I am also a fan of Arcanine and I tested doduo/drio but found that a 2/2 Zorua/Zoroark line + float stones worked best. The hard part was being able to accelerate energy. For this, I tested both Houndoom EX and baby Volcanion. Try doing a search in the forums for #Hellhounds. This was a really fun list to play with and one of my lists is below. Feel free to slice and dice as you see fit!

##Pokemon - 14
* 4 Growlithe EVO 17
* 3 Arcanine EVO 18
* 3 Volcanion SS 25
* 2 Zorua BKT 89
* 2 Zoroark BKT 91

##Trainer - 11
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 3 N
* 2 Lysandre
* 1 Giovanni's Scheme
* 1 Brock's Grit

##Stadium - 2
* 2 Scorched Earth

##Tool - 3
* 3 Float Stone

##Item - 17
* 4 VS Seeker
* 4 Max Elixer
* 4 Ultra Ball
* 2 Professor's Letter
* 2 Acro bike
* 1 Escape Rope

##Energy - 13
* 13 Fire Energy

This is a lot better. I don't like professors letter without trainers mail.

Try this list above with these changes
-2 acro bike
-2 professors letter
+2 exp share
+1 arcanine
+1 Teammates or N

Have you thought about Team Magma's Camerupt? Arcanine can use Burning Road to move the energy off of Camerupt.

To be honest, I don't really see Arcanine being good until the Break comes out. It doesn't really have good acceleration, but it does have baby Volcanion and Max Elixir like the others said. TBH, you should invest in the VS Seekers, since you plan to use this competitively, and Dodrio are bad, I agree you should play Zoroark.
Also, damage is really important if you want to play this. Acranine is basically a weak Volcanion EX, except you have to evolve and invest more energy. Also, you can't Steam Up. So with that being said, Bursting Balloon with provide you with some sort of out to damage. I plan to use this card as a one-of when Arcanine Break and Arcanine from SM comes out. But here's some changes I would make:
-2 Doduo
-2 Dodrio
-2 Shauna
-2 N
-2 Brock's Grit
-2 Pokémon Ranger
-2 Energy Pouch
-2 Energy Retrieval
-1 Escape Rope
-2 Float Stone

+2 Zorua
+2 Zoroark
+1 Ace Trainer
+2 Volcanion(Steam Siege)
+4 Bursting Balloon
+4 VS Seeker
+1 Super Rod
+3 Max Elixir

This will make your deck more consistent, and might give you a chance to win games.

Back