Discussion Anyone notice mistakes on cards?

iosman

Aspiring Trainer
Hello,

I have 2.
#1: Scyther (Unseen Forces)
Twin Play: Search your deck for up to 2 in any combination of Scyther and Scyther EX and put them onto your bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.
2? 2 what? 2 action figures? 2 Pokemon in the video games?
#2: Pineco (Neo Discovery)
Flip a coin. If heads, Pineco does 40 damage to itself and 10 damage to each Pokemon on each player's bench. (Don't apply weakness and resistance for benched Pokemon.) Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing. (not even damage.)
Flip 2 coins? Eh? Do you flip that second coin after the first, or before it?

thanks
iosman

Mora

Don't Panic
623_R003_123STRIKE.jpg
Twin Play: Search your deck for up to 2 in any combination of Scyther and Scyther EX and put them onto your bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.
I think you just missed the part in bold. No worries!

PinecoNeoDiscovery61.jpg

I think this is how it works.

HH - 40 damage to the active, 10 to your opponent's Bench, Pineco does 40 to itself.
HT - The attack does nothing.
TH - 40 damage to the Active.
TT - The attack does nothing.

I'm not 100% sure on that though. That is some bizarre wording, which some of the older cards sound that way. I think it should say:
Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing (not even damage). Flip another coin. If heads, Pineco does 40 damage to itself and 10 damage to each Pokémon on each player's Bench. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
Hello,

I have 2.
#1: Scyther (Unseen Forces)
#2: Pineco (Neo Discovery)
Flip a coin. If heads, Pineco does 40 damage to itself and 10 damage to each Pokemon on each player's bench. (Don't apply weakness and resistance for benched Pokemon.) Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing. (not even damage.)
Flip 2 coins? Eh? Do you flip that second coin after the first, or before it?

thanks
iosman
What is the problem with Scyther? I see no problem with the wording on the card. Pineco on the other hand, I practically had a stroke reading the text on that card.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
I just checked Pineco with the Japanese version. The second "flip a coin" should be deleted. The attack itself has 50% chance of doing nothing from flipping ONE coin.

As for Scyther, it has been reprinted in a recent Sun&Moon set with better wording.

Mora

Don't Panic
I just checked Pineco with the Japanese version. The second "flip a coin" should be deleted. The attack itself has 50% chance of doing nothing from flipping ONE coin.
Wow the Pineco was really that simple? Occam's Razor wins again!
As for Scyther, it has been reprinted in a recent Sun&Moon set with better wording.
I still don't see what the problem with the Scyther is.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Pineco's Burst attack SHOULD read: "Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing. If heads, Pineco does 40 damage to itself, and this attack does 10 damage to each Benched Pokémon (both yours and your opponents). (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)"

Otaku

The wise fool?
As a point of reference, Wizards of the Coast insisted that all cards were to be played as printed and only issued errata if... y'know, I don't recall if they ever actually issued an errata for anything. It'd have to be something really crazy, considering they didn't issue an errata when:

1. Dark Vileplume (Team Rocket 13/82, 30/82) should be identical, except that 13/82 is a holo and 30/82 is a non-holo. However, the holo is (correctly) Fire Weak, but the normal rare version is Fighting Weak.
  2. Blaine's Charizard (Gym Challenge 2/132) has the attack "Roaring Flames" and begins with the line "Discard all [R] Energy cards attached to Blaine’s Charizard." however some printings say "Discard all [F] Energy cards attached to Blaine’s Charizard."
  3. Slowking (Neo Genesis 14/111) is infamous because its Pokémon Power is only supposed to work while it is Active (that's how the Japanese version works), but WotC "accidentally" released its worded so that "Mind Games" works from the Bench, which lets it hide in safety and stack!

Those are off the top of my head. I mean, I looked the cards up in some cases, but I haven't forgotten they had these issues after all these years. XD

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Regarding Scizor of Neo Discovery, Wizards of the Coast made an INCORRECT Errata. The "20+" on its Double Claw attack is actually correct. It is the effect ITSELF that is wrong. It's Double Claw attack, if we go by play as Japanese rules, SHOULD read "Flip 2 coins. This attack does 20 damage plus 20 more damage for each heads."

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Wailmer from Platinum: Supreme Victors has the wrong length, but the right weight. Nothing that has any impact on the game, but still a fun fact haha. Also the error is only on the English card. The Japanese version has the correct length!

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
^A majority of cards from Rising Rivals and Supreme Victors (as Steffenka correctly pointed out) all have errors in the length.