Any Tips on collecting cards for a player

xobatkid

Pokemon Padawan
I would like to know what is the most cost-effective way to getting cards. I really don't have a lot of cards in my collection and no trade binder. As I was told, buying packs is a waste but I can honestly say that acquiring some of the singles (especially staples) can be very costly as well. What would be a good way to balance the two methods of obtaining cards so I can eventually focusing on trading.

If this is in the wrong place, I apologize in advance

I'd say buy a box, overall it limits the cost of a pack to 2.60 each, cheaper than 3.50 to even $4 each for single packs in stores..you can buy a box online for $90 shipping included if you look on ebay (usually only newer/new sets) older ones cost more. This will help you get a lot of random cards for fun decks/collections/bulk trades as well as getting good cards for yourself to use or trade ones you don't want to others to get cards you Do want.

Depends on which direction you wish to go.
If you think of yourself as a collector, there is eBay.
There is a seller's link in my signature.
She can sell you a bunch a different cards cheap.
However, there will not a be a bunch a playable cards in those kinds of deals.

If you wish to play the game, I suggest buying a theme deck and then make changes to it.
Before you buy the cards you can proxy them to see if it works.

go to events. like, leagues, and tournaments. the bigger the event, the more people you'll find. trade smart, if somebody is asking too much for something, go elsewhere. don't bother trying to haggle most of the time, if they REALLY want it, they'll look for you.

example: one guy wanted 3 base set DCE for his RH pokemon rescue.
later on I found a guy willing to give me 2 RH rescue for 1 base set DCE. sure, in essence I let him rip himself off. he asked what I wanted for a DCE, I asked if he had any RH pokemon rescue. then he asked if I would do 2 RH rescue for my DCE. wants>price.

also, go on craigs list, look for ads where people are selling their old school collections for around $50. (some people ask for $500, so watch out) if they have base set and base set 2 cards in it, they are bound to have 8+ DCE, which are in high demand right now. and trading with players is helpful when wanting playable cards.

some highly playable cards aren't really valued highly by collectors, so in that sense you can come out on top. remember to trade smart and make sure both people are comfortable with the trade. even if it means backing out of a trade before you agree.

Back