Any tips for poor people?

Kis

Aspiring Trainer
Pokeblog incoming:

I joined the local league 3 weeks ago. I've bought a chespin deck and a few boosters, then I went to the prerelease for xy today. I've been thinking today. I really enjoy this game, and I think it would be a fun hobby.

As a psychology major, I can't stop analyzing and observing what is going on around me. All the players in my age division are independent adults. I listen to their conversations and watch their actions. I see the addiction potential. Lots of high energy, low energy, back and forth, like a rollercoaster. I saw people scream in joy. I saw children cry. Their emotions are based on what cards they received in their booster packs.

The adults have this all figured out, however. They've done their research, fine-tuned their strategies, and are the movers and shakers of the pokemon league. They're even forming alliances. I listened to a group of players discuss going "in" on a CASE of booster boxes. "It'll only cost us ~$200 each." They're always one step ahead.

As a poor college student, my chespin deck and a few booster packs cannot compete with these types of players. I just want to play, socialize, and have fun, winning, and losing. I realize the game is set up so that you'll buy more cards in hopes that you'll get the really strong ones, and said cards are purposely hard to find so that you have to spend a lot to get them. It seems to me that this game is pretty much pay2win. This game would be more fun for me if I had lots of disposable income, but I don't.

I understand losing is a part of life, and I accept that, but I'd like to win some too. The game stops becoming fun when you can't win. Now, I live 12 hours away from my son, and I'm trying to save money, so that I can be with him this summer. I'm not going to be buying a whole lot of pokemon cards or anything else that I don't absolutely need.

Is there any advice or tips that you all might have to help me compete at any sort of level against these other players? I just want to have fun.

TLDR: Please answer the question in the topic's subject.

A Blastoise/Keldeo EX deck is relatively cheap (by buying the individual cards), sans Black Kyurem EX and Tropical Beach, of course. The necessary Trainer cards can be a bit pricey though. If you can afford it, I'd buy a booster box (I buy them if I can find one for under $90 on eBay) of a set that has the most cards you want to use.

The Top Cut recently posted a great article I think you would benefit from checking out.

http://thetopcut.net/2013/10/10/pokemon-tcg-guide-how-to-build-inexpensive-decks/

Back