Any tips for learning Japanese?

mariomaniac

Right now all I'm doing is watching subbed Anime and it's not working that well. I need some tips for learning Japanese!

www.livemocha.com

It's free, and that's what I am using to learn Japanese. Also, if you have iTunes, you can download Japanese Podcasts, by changing the country at the bottom.

ElectroManiac said:
www.livemocha.com

It's free, and that's what I am using to learn Japanese. Also, if you have iTunes, you can download Japanese Podcasts, by changing the country at the bottom.

Could you give more information on that website? How exactly does it work?

Try Rosette's stone, google it, it's a fast learning language program of any language. Try it out.

mariomaniac said:
Right now all I'm doing is watching subbed Anime and it's not working that well. I need some tips for learning Japanese!

Exactly why it's not working. Fact: You can't learn Japanese from watching subbed anime, anyone who says elsewise is either very terrible at Japanese, or just a major Anime fanboy/fangirl who thinks they're always right.

Japanese is a tough language to learn. In order to really be serious about learning it and make progress, you'll need to be devoted. Studying on its own sometimes isn't enough. In order to really stick it in your mind, you need to associate your lessons with other things. Try applying your skills to everyday life. Just a few ways do that:

-When walking up staircases, practice your numbers in your head, or out loud if you'd like to practice pronunciation.
-Next time you go to the market, try to identify all of the different products by word in Japanese.
-Visit foreign websites and read the kana.
-Listening to Japanese music will help you understand how things are supposed to be pronounced.

So as you can see, there are lots of painless ways to improve your skills. Of course, for things like grammar and vocabulary, studying will ultimately prove most useful. It's good to have an even balance of the two.

Shining Suicune said:
Try my Japanese Coach, I bought that 2 days ago and I've learned alot already.

I agree with Shining Suicune. I've spent a lot of time reading Japanese language books and listening to language-learning CDs, but I believe I've learned the most from My Japanese Coach for the DS. It's definitely worth your money.

Yoshiko75 said:
Shining Suicune said:

I agree with Shining Suicune. I've spent a lot of time reading Japanese language books and listening to language-learning CDs, but I believe I've learned the most from My Japanese Coach for the DS. It's definitely worth your money.
It's cheap, too, only $30.00, US of course, I bought a new one at Gamestop.
It helps you because it actually interacts with you, talking and pronouncung the words. And you play games like Whack-amole, or Word Searches. :]

I like Rosetta Stone, you might have to save up, but it's by far the best. My Japanese Coach is fun too.

Before trying Rosetta Stone, I'd say try to learn Hiragana and Katakana. It will help with pronounciation, and the alphebet should be learned before anything else, anyways. After that, DON'T DO ROSETTA STONE UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO SAY RANDOM THINGS LIKE "THIS IS SPARTA"!!! Japanese is best learned by using a private tutor if possible. If that doesn't work, try to find a college class for it.

Or get My Japanese Coach for the DS :D

z-man said:
Before trying Rosetta Stone, I'd say try to learn Hiragana and Katakana. It will help with pronounciation, and the alphebet should be learned before anything else, anyways. After that, DON'T DO ROSETTA STONE UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO SAY RANDOM THINGS LIKE "THIS IS SPARTA"!!! Japanese is best learned by using a private tutor if possible. If that doesn't work, try to find a college class for it.

これはスパルタだ!!!!!!

Also, while subbed anime is maybe the worst way ever to learn, reading some japanese-language manga (Once you've mastered things like grammar and Hiragana and Katakana, don't worry about kanji because most have furigana) can help expand your vocabulary and teach you how to speak more informally. Also, what do you mean "Random Things"? In Roestta I've learned some quite important "Random Things". Rosetta Stone does indeed cost a lot, but trust me, If you ever get the money, use it. It's extremely easy and you learn very fast.

Shining Suicune said:

^ Here is an idea. I heard from other people that it is good.

Back